Opinions on finished mount?

Adubs

FNG
Just got my bull elk mount back today and found out the taxidermist decided to roll the horns forward to get wall clearance he needed pushing his G1’s nearly down to his forehead. I contacted him right away and he offered to have it transported back to CO from WI and fix it. I’m wondering what you guys think of it as is and if you would “fix” it and how? He suggested tilting the head down and thought that would look ok considering he’s up on a tall fireplace...4CDA417B-D102-405F-A457-8440B7BE0AA2.jpg

SWOHTR

WKR
I can only see your first picture. Can you fix the rest to allow them to show?

Second, a few thoughts.
-If you're absolutely unhappy, return it and have it done how you want it. Mandate/negotiate appropriately.
-If you are unsure, give it a week. I had a WT mount I was unsure of when I got it back, but gave it a week and now love how it turned out. (It is a semi sneak left and I thought I ordered a semi sneak straight. I ordered the left and forgot until I pulled the receipt. The left facing mount fits in the room perfect, the straight wouldn't. Point being, it might grow on you.)
-If possible, move it to a different location and see how it looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
EDIT: OP, if you are fighting the image hosting, PM me and I give you my email address to send pics to and will try to upload them larger and post them here if it'll help.

Good advice SWOHTR. I too can only see the first picture and size and angle don't probably do it justice. Can't tell much from the front and way below the picture.

Any time a taxidermist "tweaks" something to make it do X better, he should call you before doing it. He should also have a bunch of pictures on hand he took before removing the antlers to work off of when doing the mount. With more pictures you may get more input, but the bottom line is you need to be happy with it. I wouldn't wait too long but give it a couple weeks or so maybe.

My dad killed the largest whitetail buck he will ever take with his deceased best friend's rifle. A memory of a lifetime. He let a taxidermist dick him around for over 2 years and when he got the buck back, the eyes look squinted, the nose a little off and the ears looking more like a muley. He has convinced himself that he likes it and that's all that matters.

OP
A

Adubs

FNG
Thanks for the offer Adam, PM sent.

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
No sweat! Here are some pics, uploaded as large as the file size would allow.

2cmm4gg.jpg

vcuik0.jpg

2ytu13l.jpg

f3szt1.jpg

10ehem9.jpg

Last edited:

chindits

WKR
I would prefer an unaltered mount, but your taste may differ. Was the angle on the neck being so upright the only style of mount he offers? There are plenty of mounts that go into houses without cathedral ceilings, so I suspect not. Great bull you got there!

AdamW

WKR
I've never considered the realities of an elk shoulder mount, so it makes me wonder...this is a great bull and one to be dang proud of but how do taxidermist mount 400" bulls? They just keep rotating the antlers as needed until it fits? Surely not. Lower head positions I suppose.

Adubs that's a great bull man and I don't have strong feelings either direction. I don't look at it and think "oh no" by any means. Let's see if some elk killers will chime in.

I'll add, what is the purpose of taxidermy? To recreate the way the animal looked when alive.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wouldn't be happy with the antlers like that. I want my mounts to look like the animal did alive.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that looks rather unnatural to me. Most of the big boys I've seen and my mom, whos a taxidermist and has done a few, are usually either really low head position or bugling. The side turned bugling gives plenty of wall room.

I'm sorry, I would have it redone, it reminds me of a caribou with the brows low.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah that looks rather unnatural to me. Most of the big boys I've seen and my mom, whos a taxidermist and has done a few, are usually either really low head position or bugling. The side turned bugling gives plenty of wall room.

This, move the head and adjust the position to make it fit, not the antlers, I’d be sending it back myself. I agree that it looks unnatural.

OP
A

Adubs

FNG
Thanks for all the reply’s. The taxidermist suggested to lower the angle of the head position and then roll back the horns as far as the wall will allow. Would you guys recommend a different neck angle or maybe turn the head more to a straight instead of a right turn to create more distance to roll the horns back??

bowuntr

WKR
Very few options with a big bull like that. Straight low sneak or 90 degree. They make antler clearance forms as well. Otherwise this form has to be altered and the head turned down. Ed F