Opinions on finished mount?

JPD350

WKR
IMO the taxidermist should have known how to deal with antlers of that size and should have suggested an appropriate mount that would accommodate the antlers, I would consult another taxidermist for the proper correction or remedy and then relay that info as to how you want him to fix it.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a question.......how much hide behind the shoulder did you give the taxidermist to work with? There is very little shoulder on that mount, which would necessitate the antlers being propped forward or a different mount angle.

That's a great bull, and you'd need plenty of hide behind the shoulder to extend it far enough away from the wall to allow the correct antler angle and still keep them off the wall.

OP
A

Adubs

FNG
there was a lot of hide left when we caped it. It’s a 330” bull with 51” beams...

Last edited:

TripleJ

WKR
That's a stud bull; if it was mine I would definitely be sending it back. A taxidermist is supposed to make it look like it's still alive, not like it's a different animal with unnatural features.

My opinion...if that is the pose you chose and like...and dont want a different position...then keep it. He should have definantly contacted you prior to doing that, so that is a different issue. I have never worked with a taxidermist that prior to changing anything on an animal didnt contact me for approval first

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

You paid a lot of money, get it how you like it.

It always pisses me off when people take liberties and don't consult first. For me, that's an automatic bad review and will never use again. It looks weird imo, but that doesn't matter. The next question would be, do you want it tilted forward?

Why wasn't this measured up first? Measure twice and cut once!

I have a question.......how much hide behind the shoulder did you give the taxidermist to work with? There is very little shoulder on that mount, which would necessitate the antlers being propped forward or a different mount angle.

That's a great bull, and you'd need plenty of hide behind the shoulder to extend it far enough away from the wall to allow the correct antler angle and still keep them off the wall.

My thoughts exactly. If you did leave plenty of cape, then it is the taxidermists fault. I'd send it back. It bugs me just looking at the pictures. Great bull. I'd want it done correctly.

OP
A

Adubs

FNG
Thanks for the video links! My taxidermist suggested changing the head angle, this seems like a much better option and basically turns it into a wall clearance form.

That's a great bull!

I don't think your taxidermist has done it justice. The head angle should be tipped down. To adjust the antlers is absolutely ridiculous!
Ask how he'll reattach the head. If he says, Bondo or foam, run. Seriously.
There needs to be support, either a heavy rod or a length of 2x4.
Sorry to be so harsh. but I'd be a little unhappy.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a week old, but I just saw this. I would definitely send it back. Let us know what you end up doing. Great bull.

sneaky

"DADDY"
A lot of the big bulls I've seen mounted have been on pedestal mounts

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk