elk broadhead

i know that i'm probably going to get flamed but - any of you guys using mechanical broadheads on elk?

the only time i have used a fixed blade (montec g3), i lost an elk (shot in the chest), lost two does - ran 40/50 yards laid down, i went an hour later and could only see where they bedded and blood trail was no more.

I have never lost a critter with a mechanical and leaning hard on using in montana this year.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Alright, if you’ve lost 3 animals to fixed blades out of 3 shots, you’re doing something wrong. Bad shot placement, dull heads, bumped too soon, etc. I don’t think it’s a FB/MB issue.

oldgoat

WKR
Listen to the Kifarucast podcasts, Aron covers what you need to use mechanicals and what you need to use fixed. Those Montecs have killed piles of animals, but they are a bitch to get even moderately sharp and moderately sharp doesn't cut it!

bz_711

WKR
My opinion only...in order of importance:
#1 Where you hit (including angle)...so overall shot selection and ability
#2 sharpness of blades
#3 what type of BH you use

I've only taken 3 bulls, but all 3 with expandables. But I still tune my bow and I will shoot at least 1-2 arrows every day from now until elk camp. All things being equal - I would suggest a solid fixed head over an expandable to anyone else starting out...until they are very proficient at tuning and accurate at shooting.

I hope you get it all sorted out...practice and confidence are the key.

Beendare

WKR
There are some BH's that are better than others when it comes to performance...Montecs aren't one of them....but my guess is your problems have more to do with your form and bow setup.

You have to BH tune bro....its important. Without it you are seriously limiting the effectiveness and accuracy of your setup.

If you use mech heads, you need to understand that elk are big critters....so shot selection and having a decent amount of arrow weight behind that mech head for it to work properly is key.

FYI, most of the performance related issues I've seen in over 30 yrs of elk hunting calling for a bunch of different guys are due to;
1) the guy not tuning his bow for BH's
2) Buck fever....poor form on the shot
3) very light arrows and/or poor arrow assembly

A hunting shot is much different than standing on a archery range and stacking arrows....plan accordingly.

OP
B
could possibly be sharpness of broadhead, this was the only time i ventured away from mechanical... I have shot probably about 50 deer over the last several years with a bow.

as for practice, again, i shoot practically daily unless i'm traveling (which is rare). i have 3 targets in my backyard - glen dale buck at 33 yards, block target at 40 yards and a bag target hanging at 49 yards.

tune, i'm shooting a hoyt carbon defiant and have my bows bare shafted tuned when they are purchased or string is replaced.

I have killed several bulls with both. I have wounded 2 with mechanical that hit shoulder bone or scapula and arrow broke off with non lethal penetration (under 2 inches). These could have been avoided with a shot a few inches back but hunting is dynamic especially rutting bulls. They move a lot and don't follow the script. That being said I've also shot one in the heart with a mechanical that still went 300 yards and one that didn't go 3. I would look into some of the newer large heads that are non mechanical and tune to shoot and penetrate. I used mechanical because I was lazy and had deer or ibex hunts that required longer shots in windy conditions and didn't want to change setups throughout the year. If I was planning to just hunt elk I'd have a heavy arrow and head and tune to 45 yards. I'm going longbow this year and will be looking for 150-175 gr single bevel BH with 50gr outsert and full length shaft.

I've used Montec, strikers, slick trick fixed.
I've used Ulmer edge, Rage 2 inch, Rage SS 1.5 inch.
All for elk. I've killed elk with every broadhead listed. They all work. Fixed heads (even after sharpening) have inconsistent blood trails for me. As does Ulmer edge. Rage 2 inch had too steep of blade angle for my desire for 2 holes.
Now the Rage SS 1.5 cut- Best of both worlds. 5 elk killed, great blood trails, 2 holes in each, including a frontal. My broadhead of choice. I would advise against 2 inch cuts for mechanical on elk. 1.5 is perfect IMHO.

Get ready for the Rage haters.....

bsshaver

FNG
^^ what he said. 2" is way too big for elk. I LIKE EXPANDABLES for Elk.

Reaper 1 3/8" razor tip.
Slick trick Mag
Black Hornets......ALL are deadly.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
^^ what he said. 2" is way too big for elk. I LIKE EXPANDABLES for Elk.

Reaper 1 3/8" razor tip.
Slick trick Mag
Black Hornets......ALL are deadly.

Reapers and ST's are my go to heads also. This will be my first year using Black Hornets...how are the blood trails for you? How is flight compared to ST's?

Kilboars

WKR
I only use the Wasp Jak-Knife 2'' two blade mechanical. Fixed blades I find are temperamental to shoot. Wind and shoot form effects them to much for me to shoot ethically. The 2 blade Wasp matched to the thin Black Eagle .001 arrows at 484 grains hit the same as my field points and hit where I'm aiming and just devastating to big game. I put down two 250lbs Wild Boars last year and each down within 15yds. Except no substitute.

Taking them to South Africa in a couple of weeks.

I've been told I'm too old school but a 3 blade muzzy has killed everything from squirrels to hogs to whitetails to elk for me. No reason to change.

DFLYFISH

FNG
I've been told I'm too old school but a 3 blade muzzy has killed everything from squirrels to hogs to whitetails to elk for me. No reason to change.

+1 for the muzzy fixed. I used that head for 15 years. i now use German Kinetic and plan on staying with them. its the sharpest most ridged head i have used. in my experience it has unmatched penetration.

and to the OP... may want to stay away from front chest shots. you said your 3 targets are out to 49 yards. you may want to push one back to 80 in order to see more detail on arrow flight when tuning your bow.

OP
B
I've used Montec, strikers, slick trick fixed.
I've used Ulmer edge, Rage 2 inch, Rage SS 1.5 inch.
All for elk. I've killed elk with every broadhead listed. They all work. Fixed heads (even after sharpening) have inconsistent blood trails for me. As does Ulmer edge. Rage 2 inch had too steep of blade angle for my desire for 2 holes.
Now the Rage SS 1.5 cut- Best of both worlds. 5 elk killed, great blood trails, 2 holes in each, including a frontal. My broadhead of choice. I would advise against 2 inch cuts for mechanical on elk. 1.5 is perfect IMHO.

Get ready for the Rage haters.....

Is that rage 1.5 cut offered in a deep 6?

Beendare

WKR
could possibly be sharpness of broadhead, .....

Most definitely with those Montecs....they are one of the worst when it comes to holding an edge that I have seen...and thats sayin something.

If you really like Montec....the carbon steel version I've heard is much better.

Personally I like the fixed COC heads like the Buzzcuts or the VPA's in 2 or 3 blades......strong and sharp.....I don't get the animal reaction I used to get when shooting mech heads....I kinda like that.

i know that i'm probably going to get flamed but - any of you guys using mechanical broadheads on elk?

the only time i have used a fixed blade (montec g3), i lost an elk (shot in the chest), lost two does - ran 40/50 yards laid down, i went an hour later and could only see where they bedded and blood trail was no more.

I have never lost a critter with a mechanical and leaning hard on using in montana this year.

What bow poundage and arrow weight are you shooting?

I have shot deer with just about all the mechanicals, back to the old rocket heads, I love them on deer but they scare me for elk. I switched to a hybrid (gravedigger cut on contact)for elk 3 years ago, i've had really good luck with those, blew through a cow elk at 57 yards and she didn't make it 60 yards before she crashed, and it wasn't a great shot either (quartering too, hit front side lung, liver and had about 18 inches of guts hanging out the opposite side). I shot the grave digger Extreme chisel tip version last year,, they seem to be tougher (thicker expanding blades) and had good luck with them. Killed 5 deer and a Bear with them. they gave me about a Slick trick 4 blade size entrance and all were pass throughs with massive exit holes.
I think a few have mentioned,, make sure your BH are as sharp as you can get,, the grave diggers suck from the factory, but i us a work sharp on all my BH before they go in the field.

if you shoot a light arrow i would disregard my above comments, as the extremes need a ton of KE/ momentum ( I shoot 496 grain arrow at 282 fps)