New Mexico 53- insight needed.

Wlreyes

FNG
I drew out for the October Muzzle loader. I have hunted the Sangres before but not this unit. Does anyone have any experience in this unit? I know it’s steep and tough and the Elk should be pretty high up. I was looking at the north side of the unit but I really don’t know where to start. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

swampokie

WKR
I hope to do this hunt someday while I still can. I think a feller could really pop a giant if he busted his butt. It will probly be a ruff hunt but definitely some big bulls in that ruff country. At least that's what I hear. Good luck

Ive killed a 330 bull there in the archery hunt over 12000 feet. I have seen some very nice bulls. This unit is an earlier rut in my opinion and that will make your hunt a little tougher. Elevations I find elk during the rut could be under 2 foot of snow during this hunt but likely not. Either way I bet the bigger bulls are done breeding and hiding in thick nasty canyons. I would expect to see a lot of raghorns and 5x5s with the cows this late. I hunted 45 Muzzy at high altitude and was similar. Cold nights if your backpacking and if your not you have a long way to go from the trail head to get to where the big boys are holed up.

There's some good stuff to hunt coming out of Questa. I wouldn't rule out the south side of the highway heading towards Red River. There's some good country between there, and the Taos Ski Valley. Check out the terrain maps of that area ;)

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I know a great horseman/packer in Unit 53......if you have any interest being dropped into some great country, shoot me a PM and I can make the introduction.

OP
W

Wlreyes

FNG
Here is an update on my hunt.... I contacted Miguel Gonzales at nmoutfitter as recommended above. He is an awesome outfitter. The unit is brutal to hunt, and I’d recommend that you really focus on working out your legs before trying unit 53. We saw elk everyday and shot one at 30 yards. It was an amazing expierence but having an outfitter with pack animals made a huge difference and gave us the ability to hunt deeper in the wilderness without blowing out our legs.

David458

FNG
I know a great horseman/packer in Unit 53......if you have any interest being dropped into some great country, shoot me a PM and I can make the introduction.
I’m a little late with my response but do you still know horseman/packers in 53?