Treestands

Well I have a coveted Montana elk tag in my pocket for district 69. I've been fortunate enough to have hunted this area the past few years.

I've found a few pinch points and wallows and kinda thinking about packing in a couple treestands this summer.

But being a prairie guy I've never been in a treestand.

Do I need a hang on or a climber?

Are you guys packing in climbing sticks?

How do you secure your sticks on public land or do something to keep fruitcakes out of your stand? These will be way off the trail but with Go Hunt and Huntin Fool there's a lot more people in the area.

I was looking at X-Stands, are those good? I see they only weigh about 10#.

Kinds excited to try a tree. I had a camera up last year where I plan to put one stand and couldn't believe the WT buck I found. Also a few decent bulls and one mulie buck I've been watching for a couple seasons.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I use both climbers and hang-on stands w/ sticks.

I leave my stands up. When Im worried about theft, I remove the bottom two sticks and stash them.
When I use a climber I pack it in/out

Attachments

• 6x6.JPG
    6x6.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 116
  • grassyknoll2.jpg
    grassyknoll2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 117

LostArra

WKR
I'm taking a climber this season. Over the past couple of years I've found a perfect spot for using one but I don't see myself sitting there everyday. I get enough treestand use while hunting deer. I use sticks and hang-on around here because of the trees but my Lone Wolf hand climber is much more compact system.

xziang

WKR
I haven't hunted elk via stand but it would depends on the type of trees that are in the area for me. Climber would be more compact and easier if trees are strait. I have a BULKY climber for deer but for elk I would look into the long wolf. For a hang on I would go with climbing sticks like helium or lone wolfs and like others said remove the bottom two and lock them up someplace else or hide very well.

Also check regs but another option is screw in steps and those are much easier to hide. (probably not legal in that area though) If you hike one in early might be best to go with a cheaper one (weight penalty) and hang it and leave it. That way if it disappears you aren't out a lot of $$. May also want to consider throwing a safety harness in a water proof container or bag to leave too. (just an idea)

cnelk

WKR
I had this happen to one of my treestand spots.

I left it in the woods and came back the next summer. Sticks and stand were gone

Attachments

• 31F80C5E-B2DB-40D3-834A-AB31ACCC1271.jpg
    31F80C5E-B2DB-40D3-834A-AB31ACCC1271.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 142
  • B77BBB9E-FAB9-4162-B92F-32BB154D6D37.jpg
    B77BBB9E-FAB9-4162-B92F-32BB154D6D37.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 133
I take a climbing stand.
During the evening I climb down (obviously) and just stash it at the base of a tree or in a nearby location, throw some branches over it, and really...it's pretty hidden unless you're looking for it. add a cable lock and lock it to a tree if you really want.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Summit openshot is a good light weight option for a climber. It really depends on what the trees are like where you are going. I love the climber but prefer to use a hang on hidden in the branch, a place a climber can't get to. In that case just pack a hanger in with some light weight sticks and take the sticks with you when you leave. You can have multiple sets and just one set of sticks.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I think the hang would be more versatile, and not limit you to perfect trees, while also allowing you to get amongst branches to hide better. I think lone wolf had a blemished sale going on this week if you call them, might could get a good deal on one. And if you get sticks, you can pack just them to be lighter than hauling a climber or risking leaving it out there. Either way a good safety harness is at the top of the list of necessities, and the ease of a hunter safety systems is worth it over the ones that come with the stands IMO.

LostArra

WKR
I think the hang would be more versatile, and not limit you to perfect trees, while also allowing you to get amongst branches to hide better. I think lone wolf had a blemished sale going on this week if you call them, might could get a good deal on one. And if you get sticks, you can pack just them to be lighter than hauling a climber or risking leaving it out there. Either way a good safety harness is at the top of the list of necessities, and the ease of a hunter safety systems is worth it over the ones that come with the stands IMO.

I agree on the versatility of sticks but the areas I've scouted have a good number of aspens in perfect locations with small pines scattered among them for cover.
I've never climbed an aspen but the ones in my area look to be a nice tree for a climber, straight and few low limbs. I've seen claw marks on a few so the bears must also like climbing aspens.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends on where you are. If trees are good I would take a climber. Stand theft is a problem. I have had 4 stolen, but a lot of meth heads around where I hang my stands. I have even removed all of my climbing sticks and they still stole the stand. Damn dedicated thief for a $100.00 stand. I would think stand theft may be less of a problem where you are planning to hunt. Fruit cakes in the stand, well that could be dicey. It all comes down to how violated you feel and whether you want to deal with it or walk away. I always carry a 10mm for just such an incident, just in case someone decides to be a jerk. I am way more worried about 2 legged animals in the forest than others.

cnelk

WKR
For elk, rarely do I go higher than 12’ and you don’t have to be obscured very much.

Here is a pic of my son sitting in one of our stands

Attachments

• 0018.jpg
    0018.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 0018.jpg
    0018.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 111

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
While hiking around looking for turkeys this weekend I found this cool homemade tree stand. Doesn’t look like it’s been worked on in awhile (wood was starting to rot), but someone clearly dedicated a good chunk of time towards building this many years ago. It was about 1 mile from the road toward the top of the mountain looking into some aspens.

0a516020d5bacb01963bd359812d314a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know everyone is preaching safety these days, but many trees in places elk frequent have trees with branches you can climb up just like a ladder. I have 3-4 different areas and none require a foot peg.

Aspens are great trees for climbers.

Good luck, don't overthink it elk are clueless when you're above them in a tree as long as they don't catch you scent.

Drew@selway

Lil-Rokslider
Id look at a tree saddle/sling. Hell of a lot easier to carry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't use the climbers, cause I place these in pretty remote areas(usually). I never plan on taking them back out , and this needs to be said. These are in an area I have hunted locally for many years. I use cheap on sale from sportsman warehouse set ups - $89. I use the 17' ladder versions with the fold down safety bar.
I haul the stand in one trip, and ladder sections in another.

If I was hunting an area I packed into, I would just build a ground blind, from windfall, as my pack would already be full.
I think I have 3 tree stands up and 5 ground blinds.
I did get busted one year by a spike elk. They blew by me heading to my left, then about 3 minutes came running right back to me. I was wet and froze solid, tried to draw back, couldn't get it back. Had to reset and he busted all that movement.
Granted they were on high alert as they came back to me (other hunters I suspect).
I went to get one out I placed in a easier to get to place, and it was gone.
I hate the idea of theft, especially with other hunters.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't use the climbers, cause I place these in pretty remote areas(usually). I never plan on taking them back out , and this needs to be said. These are in an area I have hunted locally for many years. I use cheap on sale from sportsman warehouse set ups - $89. I use the 17' ladder versions with the fold down safety bar.
I haul the stand in one trip, and ladder sections in another.

If I was hunting an area I packed into, I would just build a ground blind, from windfall, as my pack would already be full.
I think I have 3 tree stands up and 5 ground blinds.
I did get busted one year by a spike elk. They blew by me heading to my left, then about 3 minutes came running right back to me. I was wet and froze solid, tried to draw back, couldn't get it back. Had to reset and he busted all that movement.
Granted they were on high alert as they came back to me (other hunters I suspect).
I went to get one out I placed in a easier to get to place, and it was gone.
I hate the idea of theft, especially with other hunters.
It is illegal to leave your crap out in the forest for forever. Maybe your stand was not stolen but removed by the forest service. Guess everyone gets to decide what rules they want to follow

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is illegal to leave your crap out in the forest for forever. Maybe your stand was not stolen but removed by the forest service. Guess everyone gets to decide what rules they want to follow

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Could be, I didn't know that. I will visit the FS office here locally,and ask questions. I just looked up some laws and seems in some areas it is to be taken down nightly, others seasonally.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Go check out Saddlehunter.com. If you are looking to go light weight, this is the way to go. I'm a whitetail guy, have been using LW hang on's since the early 2000's. If you are going to use a tree stand, this is one of the best ways to go. But the saddle hunting, brings light weight to a new level. I am in the process of switching to that this year. I hunt nasty cattail marsh's and swamps in Wis. a few of my my spots are 1.5-2 miles in, while its in the flat land zone. :) its usually half way up to your knees in muck, making you want to loose as much weight on your back as possible. a Saddle and 2-3 sticks with aiders should get you as high as you need to go. And you only need the one set, go mobile. You can get into "THE" tree you need for that hunt. you are not tied to a preset tree. if the animals are coming in differently, get down and move. it brings things to a different level.