New Mexico unit 34 early archery

Jacack

WKR
After a lot of years I finally drew a unit 34 archery, going to try to fly out and scout once if funds and schedules permit it. I live in sw Florida so kind if a trek to do so but don't like the taste of tag soup much and as long as it has taken to draw I plan to do everything possible.

I plan to drive out and get in the area a few days before season and stay the full two weeks if neeeded, will have a buddy to help for the first 5 days but on my own after that. Going to camp out. Not my first elk hunt but will be my first time in NM. Been looking around the cabellero canyon area and north northeast of there. Anyone ever scouted or hunted that area? Feel free to pm me.

Thanks
Jared

archer60

FNG
I've spent several yrs hunting and guiding that unit.....get good FS/LO maps for starters. Check out the country south and west of Weed. Get amile off the 2-tracks and you will have a blast.....tons of elk!

Tons of elk everywhere in that unit, it's beautiful country. Haven't hunted there much, I'm usually north in 36, but I've heard of bulls being killed in every part of the unit. We usually go camping in August every year up around Bluff Springs and you can pretty much count on a little thunderstorm every day. Tons of roads, but also plenty of space to hike in away from them. To kind of go along with what the poster above said.. if you get off the roads you're eventually going to run into some elk.

There are seriously elk in every part of that unit, unless you're down in Alamogordo. Thick country(not much need for glass bigger than 8 or 10x binos). Steep country, especially in the middle of the unit(like that Bluff Springs area previously mentioned). High country (bring an oxygen tank ). Elk country(elk are friggin everywhere).

Enjoy the hunt...it should be a good one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
Anyone have a butcher/processor in the area of unit 34 if I happen to get one down?

Thanks