Salmon Zone Idaho

I'm thinking about starting the scouting process of the Salmon Zone (36b has caught my eye though there's other units I'd be interested in). It will be beneficial to have an October elk hunt option for my busy schedule. How do you think the elk population in the zone is? From fish and game reports, outfitter reports, and hunter reports that I've been reading it looks like the population is pretty decent, not huge or anything but out of the tank. What have you experienced in there recently?

I'm interested in comparisons to the Middle Fork Zone especially since I usually hunt in there.

Thanks a million. I love this site.

Note-I'm an idiot. I put 36a originally but I meant 36b. Also, I'm a rifle hunter.

Last edited:
36a is a controlled hunt, so you will need to count on drawing.

The rest of the Salmon unit (21,21a,28, 36b) seem to produce good results for guys willing to get after it and put some miles in. It is also a popular unit on the forums, so the competition will probably be a lot higher than the Middle Fork. Guys are filling tags there though on nice bulls and bucks so I would check it out.

OP
I
Anyone have experience with 36b or 28 that they'd be willing to share? I'm interested in general observations of the quantity and quality of bulls in the units. I'm also wondering if the pressure is getting in the way of a good hunt--I know there's quite a few hunters but it looks like quite a bit of room to spread out. Thanks.

Like any other OTC hunt. Lots of camps and hunter traffic. Quads. Some terrain is too steep to realistically hunt. Deer harvest dropped significantly in 2017 when compared to 2016. Called in hunters during Elk season but that could/does happen anywhere. Of the four in the Salmon zone 21A has consistently strong stats.

he_lives

FNG
I've hunted the salmon zone the last three years with very little action. Shoot me a message and I can try to provide some info.

OP
I
ttt anyone hunting the Salmon Zone and want to chat? I've done a bit of boots-on-the-ground scouting and a lot of e-scouting.

Rockin'A

FNG
Myself and my brother in law will be hunting the salmon zone this year. Hunt was originally planned for my wife but we ended up getting pregnant and she will not be able to go. I've had a few friends hunt and talked to some guys down here that hunt and have family in salmon zone. Hard to plan a hunt without being able to scout in the months prior. We will be there the October 12-21st. This is the only year we will hunt in Idaho as we have other hunts planned in the coming years.

BrentH

WKR
My buddies and I will be hunting the Salmon zone this fall for the first time. We are headed over next weekend for a 3 day scouting trip.

Fullfan

WKR
Hunting the salmon zone in archery this year, have the entire month of September. Been way to many rifle hunters the last several years.

HKM

FNG
I have hunted 36B the last 18 years. If you are willing to put in the time and learn the country you can expect to find Elk and fill the freezer. If you are looking to kill a 300 bull every year it is not the place to go. If you are looking to kill a rag horn you will be successful .Hunt after the deer season is over and you will not see as much hunting pressure plus you might get weather. I have killed 13 elk and have a friend that has killed one every year. Good luck

IDLassie

FNG
The only thing that will kill your plans is a wild fire. Which can happen anywhere anytime.
That area has been getting much needed moisture this spring.
Haven't hunted it per say but have cut fire wood in some areas and live there in the winter.
Hard unit to hunt but as other have said it can be done.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also hunting the salmon area this year 36b sept 9-20 . I’ve been e scouting since January and have to several people . This is our first trip to Idaho been in Colorado the last 5 yrs and wanted a change . How bad is motorcycle traffic in this area ? Do the bulls biggie pretty good our are they call shy from hunter pressure . I’ve called the biologist and talked to them back in February and plan on touching base again soon with them . We have rented a cabin just inside the forest and will be taking 4 wheelers and gear to bivy in if we find some good elk and need to . I did buy a wolf tag as well . Feel free to pm me and talk . Thanks and good luck to every one . God Bless !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk