Need new rifle for 2018 Idaho elk hunt

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys so ever since I was 12 and shot a 300 RUM I have been recoil sensitive. I am getting a new rifle for this elk hunt and I was leaning towards a 308 but I want to be able to take shots out to 500 yards if necessary and don't want to be undergunned. I was also thinking about a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake. Also please tell me what rifles and calibers you would recommend Please any tips and advice will be much appreciated

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of guns out there and lots of opinions. You can go with the high energy guns with a brake or, with today's bullets, you can go down to the 6.5 calibers. I prefer 7mm and up but shot placement is the key. Personably I'd get a couple guns.😀

Ive picked up a few tikkas and paired up with b and c stocks and good glass. The 300 wm got a brake thrown on befor i even shot it. Shoots like a pussycat now. As many would tell you they are easy to work loads up for and the triggers arent too bad. Just cause it was so cheap, ive got a few bolts out getting fluted now. Wont change anything but i sure like how it looks. Now if i,could just get seekins to chamber the havak in something .338, id be all set. All said and done, i love the tikkas though

I just purchased a Bergara B-14 HMR in the 6.5 CM. Will be using it as a Mule Deer/ Elk Rifle, so far I love it, and with a muzzle break, recoil is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve done elk with a 270 for years, I’d. It hesitate to take my kimber Montana 308 if I were going again this year.

I’ll throw in another vote for tikka, real hard to beat for the money. I’ve got Tikka’s in 300 wm and 7-08 and both shoot incredibly well. The 300 isn’t unpleasant to shoot at all without a brake, that said I will probably put one on for shooting longer range and trying to spot my hits. I see lots of guys and gals on here tipping over elk with the 7-08 too. I see you’re in Northern California and if you’re in the Redding area you’re welcome to shoot both of my guns and see how you feel about the 300 wm.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another vote here for the 7-08, especially if you're recoil sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka T3X forest in 300wm. I love the gun, recoil isn't unbearable, and it shoots like a lazer. Dropped my elk last year so can't complain!

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help guys. What is the max effective range and or energy needed to dump and elk

sneaky

"DADDY"
1000 ft/lbs of energy is pretty much the baseline for determining ethical shot distance on elk. Of course, doesn't matter if you shoot a cannon if you can't hit anything with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Like said already, lots of different rifles out there. You just have to find what you like. Personally, I like the Remington Model Seven rifles.

I've got 2 of them. One is a 7 SAUM and the other is a 7-08.

MOSO 300

FNG
Lots of good suggestions, just remember Elk are tough, very tough! Shot placement is always important but becomes more critical as you downsize in terminal energy. Ultimately if recoil is a true issue start with something your comfortable and consistently accurate shooting, let that decide your “range” not the other way around.
All the best
Miso

LightFoot

WKR
For about $1K you can get a Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon that already has a brake on it. It is well balanced, lightweight, and accurate.

I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor that my dad uses now. He hasn't used it on an elk but wouldn't hesitate to.

If you reload or don't mind paying for the ammo, I would go with the 28 Nosler.

Otherwise, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08, 308, or the good 'ol 30-06.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In my opinion I believe you should work on being less “recoil sensitive” providing you are older/bigger now. I’m not saying you need to shoot a 300 RUM but just spend more time on the range with a caliper you can learn to manage easily. If you have target panic due to anticipating the recoil, this problem is will show up in your accuracy no matter how mild of a caliper you are shooting.

A Ruger American in a 308 or 7MM 08. Gonna cost you $375 or so. Throw a Redfield Revolution or Leopold Rifleman on it and, have a VERY accurate rifle for less then most guns cost bare. Seriously, don't get caught up in the Magnum craze. You are already admitting recoil sensitivity. Stay with a solid caliber that is easy to shoot. And, get it done. If you have to have a Bigger gun, go with an '06. You can load up ad hammer them or, load down and bust deer with them. It truly is the do all. God Bless