Wyoming Elk area 67/68

TravKatQ

WKR
Looking for some info on elk hunting around Dubious in area 67/68. Gonna combo it with a deer tag (128) which I should be able to draw. Gonna be hunting the first week of October. Any help on how high elk will be and how the deer population is doing would be greatly appreciated. Gonna get as high as I can (being a non resident) and flirt the wilderness boundaries. Thanks in advance, Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never hunted up there so aint really any help, but have heard good things of the elk hunts and late deer hunts I think are doing better again, not sure about oct though. Good Luck and hope to see some updates!!

SoDaky

WKR
They will be high.Consider the edge of Wilderness up the Dunoir valley. Some beautiful high meadows and country just out of W boundary..Prepare for Mr Grizz.

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
They will be high.Consider the edge of Wilderness up the Dunoir valley. Some beautiful high meadows and country just out of W boundary..Prepare for Mr Grizz.

Yes we are prepared for Grizz, some have warned me they are thick. How about deer in the area?

SoDaky

WKR
Hi.Haven’t been there in a few years but the times we were there we didn’t see many deer.On one trip a friend did shoot a decent Muley and the last time I was there we had a big bad snowstorm and we got to watch a lot of elk and some incredible mule deer drop down from the ‘wilderness’ and filter right by us down the valley.One was the biggest i’ve ever seen and none of us had deer tags.

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Hi.Haven’t been there in a few years but the times we were there we didn’t see many deer.On one trip a friend did shoot a decent Muley and the last time I was there we had a big bad snowstorm and we got to watch a lot of elk and some incredible mule deer drop down from the ‘wilderness’ and filter right by us down the valley.One was the biggest i’ve ever seen and none of us had deer tags.

SoDay,
Thanks for the insight. I’m still gonna pick up a deer tag for that reason, you never know! What time of year did the snow storm hot that pushed them down out of wilderness? And do you guys usually hunt high and border wilderness on North side of unit? Thanks, Travis

SoDaky

WKR
Storm was in October-if memory serves mid October.Got over a foot and that did it.They started down.Lots.Once in a lifetime deal.Sadly the 5 of us shot pretty much the first 5 bulls we could,then spent 2 days watching MANY bulls go by.Some BIG.The snow caused us to hire an outfitter to get our camp and the bulls out.2K.Ouch but...????We had to 'drop out the bottom' which was 17 miles.Trucks were snowed in by Brooks Lake but we couldn't exit that way.Getting the trucks was more $$-and days later.All in all worth the memories though.What was interesting is that almost all the elk came through a sort of hidden,small pass.I'd have to kill you if I told you though as one of the guys and his son still hunt it.:(
I learned my lesson,definitely buy a deer license!

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Storm was in October-if memory serves mid October.Got over a foot and that did it.They started down.Lots.Once in a lifetime deal.Sadly the 5 of us shot pretty much the first 5 bulls we could,then spent 2 days watching MANY bulls go by.Some BIG.The snow caused us to hire an outfitter to get our camp and the bulls out.2K.Ouch but...????We had to 'drop out the bottom' which was 17 miles.Trucks were snowed in by Brooks Lake but we couldn't exit that way.Getting the trucks was more $$-and days later.All in all worth the memories though.What was interesting is that almost all the elk came through a sort of hidden,small pass.I'd have to kill you if I told you though as one of the guys and his son still hunt it.:(
I learned my lesson,definitely buy a deer license!

Wow that sounds like one heck of a trip! But like you said all worth the memories for sure! Ive been warned about the possibility of snow storms in that country come October anything can happen and I’m hoping for a little snow to get things moving possibly. Can’t wait to get back there, first trip to Wyoming for my dad and I.

rhinorv

WKR
Any luck this year? How did it turn out?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Any luck this year? How did it turn out?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hard hunt for sure. Went the first week of Oct. spent the first few days trying to find elk, warm weather and lots of people had them up high still. Was able to get into a group of few bulls still bugling and killed a decent 5x5, bigger guy never came out of heavy timber for a shot. Deer on the other hand were scarce, I killed whitetail down low and my father killed a decent muley up high. Tagged out but had to work for it, lots of road hunters and ppl on horse back so had to get 3+ miles from roads to get into animals and sign. Lots of grizzly sign and ppl that ran into them, luckily we never did.

Jthunt

FNG
Hard hunt for sure. Went the first week of Oct. spent the first few days trying to find elk, warm weather and lots of people had them up high still. Was able to get into a group of few bulls still bugling and killed a decent 5x5, bigger guy never came out of heavy timber for a shot. Deer on the other hand were scarce, I killed whitetail down low and my father killed a decent muley up high. Tagged out but had to work for it, lots of road hunters and ppl on horse back so had to get 3+ miles from roads to get into animals and sign. Lots of grizzly sign and ppl that ran into them, luckily we never did.

Hi Travis im planning on hunting this area. Any chance we can chat via PM?

TheViking

WKR
Looking for some info on elk hunting around Dubious in area 67/68. Gonna combo it with a deer tag (128) which I should be able to draw. Gonna be hunting the first week of October. Any help on how high elk will be and how the deer population is doing would be greatly appreciated. Gonna get as high as I can (being a non resident) and flirt the wilderness boundaries. Thanks in advance, Travis

Looking to hunt here this fall as well. I'd love to get a few pointers, no honey holes of course.

Hey I drew the 68 archery tag. Any advice?