NR Rifle New Mexico Unit 34. Very bitter sweet.

I was lucky enough to draw the Unit 34 NR Rifle hunt in New Mexico. The bitter part is on March 15 I lost my best friend and hunting partner for the past decade when his helo went down in Al Anbar Province, Iraq two weeks before his 32nd birthday. He was a Air Force Special Forces Pararescuemen. We had both applied for this hunt after spending a little time in the area when he was stationed in NM and had a cow tag. As well as the unit 49 archery in Colorado that we have been building points for years in. The day before NM drew my wife and I were driving to his house to check on his wife and I told her that I was thinking of pulling my apps this year because I just didn't think I would have it in me to go to Colorado knowing there was no way I would draw the New Mexico tag. So the next day I had quite the gut check when I got the email for New Mexico. Being the guy that couldn't win raffle if I had 9 out of the 10 tickets and this being my first time applying in New Mexico I have taken it as a sign from my old friend to keep moving. So I will be heading that way come October. He and I did an OTC 2nd rifle in Colorado last year and had some luck. So this wont be my first elk hunt or western hunt for that matter but it will be the first without him. I say all this because we always planned everything out and bounced stupid questions off each other. So I will be popping in with my stupid question and advice request here.

Family, friends gather to honor Staff Sgt. Carl Enis, who was killed in action

RdRdrFan

WKR
I’m sorry for your loss. Take this hunt as a time of reflection and celebration of your best friend. It’s a great tag and I am certain that he will be there with you to enjoy the hunt.