NR Rifle New Mexico Unit 34. Very bitter sweet.

I was lucky enough to draw the Unit 34 NR Rifle hunt in New Mexico. The bitter part is on March 15 I lost my best friend and hunting partner for the past decade when his helo went down in Al Anbar Province, Iraq two weeks before his 32nd birthday. He was a Air Force Special Forces Pararescuemen. We had both applied for this hunt after spending a little time in the area when he was stationed in NM and had a cow tag. As well as the unit 49 archery in Colorado that we have been building points for years in. The day before NM drew my wife and I were driving to his house to check on his wife and I told her that I was thinking of pulling my apps this year because I just didn't think I would have it in me to go to Colorado knowing there was no way I would draw the New Mexico tag. So the next day I had quite the gut check when I got the email for New Mexico. Being the guy that couldn't win raffle if I had 9 out of the 10 tickets and this being my first time applying in New Mexico I have taken it as a sign from my old friend to keep moving. So I will be heading that way come October. He and I did an OTC 2nd rifle in Colorado last year and had some luck. So this wont be my first elk hunt or western hunt for that matter but it will be the first without him. I say all this because we always planned everything out and bounced stupid questions off each other. So I will be popping in with my stupid question and advice request here.

Family, friends gather to honor Staff Sgt. Carl Enis, who was killed in action

gbflyer

WKR
I was lucky enough to draw the Unit 34 NR Rifle hunt in New Mexico. The bitter part is on March 15 I lost my best friend and hunting partner for the past decade when his helo went down in Al Anbar Province, Iraq two weeks before his 32nd birthday. He was a Air Force Special Forces Pararescuemen. We had both applied for this hunt after spending a little time in the area when he was stationed in NM and had a cow tag. As well as the unit 49 archery in Colorado that we have been building points for years in. The day before NM drew my wife and I were driving to his house to check on his wife and I told her that I was thinking of pulling my apps this year because I just didn't think I would have it in me to go to Colorado knowing there was no way I would draw the New Mexico tag. So the next day I had quite the gut check when I got the email for New Mexico. Being the guy that couldn't win raffle if I had 9 out of the 10 tickets and this being my first time applying in New Mexico I have taken it as a sign from my old friend to keep moving. So I will be heading that way come October. He and I did an OTC 2nd rifle in Colorado last year and had some luck. So this wont be my first elk hunt or western hunt for that matter but it will be the first without him. I say all this because we always planned everything out and bounced stupid questions off each other. So I will be popping in with my stupid question and advice request here.

Family, friends gather to honor Staff Sgt. Carl Enis, who was killed in action

Wow. Hard thing to read there, thank you for sharing.

I read the article you posted. What an incredible individual. PJ’s are definitely the cream of the crop. You are an incredibly lucky person to call that man your friend.

So sorry for your loss. Go do that hunt, and keep on living. Carl will be there with you!

NDGuy

WKR
Sorry for your loss man, I am sure he will be with you on your hunt. Best of luck!

trmin8r

FNG
Rip to your buddy. Sucks to hear. I was stationed at Kirtland for 6 years. Cool place. I also hunted unit 34 first archery last year. Man with a rifle you should have no problem getting a really good bull. Should be a great hunt. I was in rifle range of 300+ bulls probably 10 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thank you all, its been hard to try and come to grips with, finding a way to try and keep the dream alive on my own is keeping me distracted.

We saw some good ones when we were there two years ago in December. Im hoping they will be in about the same area that we saw them just because I have a working knowledge of the area. Its some nasty stuff but I think that's why they were there. We saw what we considers good bulls by our standards which is really anything around 300''. We have never been to score crazy on western game because we were hunting more for fun and adventure. That being said with the rarity of the tag and the personal meaning for me I'm trying to figure out how to score bulls on the hoof. I have read about it and watched some videos since the drawing but still have some room to grow. That being said Im hoping to try and find one in the 350'' range if possible. Last year in Colorado over the counter we were hunting for legal (4 on one side) and got incredibly lucky with two 6x6's. This hunt I would be willing to risk holding out for that public land dream. If nothing else see some beautiful country.

codym

WKR
Sorry to hear about your friend, he sounds like he was an outstanding man. Unit 34 is an amazing place, have a great hunt and keep your friend in your thoughts and your heart.

smokinf15

WKR
So Sorry for your loss, there are no words. As another Air Force guy, I know your buddy was about as great and tough as they come, AF equivalent of a SEAL or Ranger as a pararescueman/combat controller. Go hunt, that’s what he wants. I lived in 34 for 4 years (High Rolls,NM) when I was stationed at Holloman. Go kill that 350 bull for him, he will be with you the entire hunt. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk