What do you wish you’d done differently on your first western hunt?

North

FNG
Hey Rokslide!

I’m going on my first western hunt this fall in Montana as my 40th birthday gift to myself. I live in Wisconsin and have never hunted out of state. It will be an archery hunt with the option to return for gun season if I’m unsuccessful. I have the combo tag but will be targeting elk. My dad is coming with but will not be hunting.

I’m training every day to get into shape and dialing in all of my gear/bow, watching videos, listening to podcasts etc to learn the tactics and what to expect. My question is for the more experienced folks who have a few western hunts under their belts: what do you wish you’d done differently when you first starting elk hunting that you feel would have made the biggest difference in your success? I will be going into this with solid gear and hopefully in good shape, but I know that a few simple mistakes could totally spoil my efforts. Thanks for any input!

Congrats on your hunt. For me, mental preparation would be the key. There are going to be LONG days and blown stalks. Don't get down and don't give up. Whenever you get frustrated, sit down and look around at the mountains/scenery. Tagging out is a bonus when you get to hunt with your Father. Good Luck!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.Believe your going to be successful. 2.Give yourself enough time to achive success. 3. Have multiple backup plans and don't be afraid to pack up and move on. 4. Be physically and mentally prepared to go hard everyday don't quit yourself 4. Leave it all out on the mountain or you'll have regrets.
Some of these sound simple and easy when the weather rolls in or chips get down they aren't so easy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My pack was 20 lbs too heavy, between extra crap, back up this and thats, and I left the truck with 8 days food. Plan to bite off a smaller chunk, On a week long hunt I always return to the truck at least once for some reason, especially if I'm checking new areas. I will rarely take more than 4 days food with me now and i usually have a partner so I don't need extra everything.

If you have never been on a western hunt, the first thing I would be doing differently is getting a new pair of boots. Lowas, kenetrek, crispi, etc. You'll have to see what works for you but not an area to skimp in. Can make or break your hunt.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

bz_711

WKR
-check the wind often and always keep wind in your favor...if your scent is blowing in the direction you are heading you are just wasting time
-focus efforts on areas that are void of hunters/hikers/human presence...those are the best spots for elk...and these do not have to be far from road. I spent long days 4 miles from the road...only to shoot my first two elk .33 and .25 miles from the truck...both were areas I intentionally went into that week as I had not noticed any trucks/hunters nearby.

Good Luck - and most of all Stay Positive and enjoy it all!
Share your pics and story regardless if tag is punched.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Great advice above. Be more aggressive. Elk are not whitetails, they make some racket and you can too as long as you play the wind. Get to them and get tight before calling.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
My pack was to heavy(to much crap I didn't need), I wasn't in Mountain Shape (get in shape) it helps mentally and physically to be in tip top shape and as was stated "leave it on the mountain" and have fun it's an adventure. You don't have to kill something to be successful, but it helps!

Take as much time as you can out there. Don't rush anything. You'll have a blast.

All good, I'll add:. Never lose focus, long days and an opportunity may come the first day or the last, and will last for a few seconds. Last one I shot was 7th day and from the time I heard/saw him to dead elk was about 30 seconds

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not agreed to take an inexperienced, overweight individual with me....I had very little experience at the time as well, but I at least worked to get into better shape and learn about elk behavior and the country I was hunting. He treated the experience more like a guided hunt and relied on me to teach/tell him everything.

I still have yet to find the perfect hunting partner, and I will likely never take one vehicle again. I'll drive separate every time.

OP
North

North

FNG
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. We plan to spend up to 2 weeks out. My boots are Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX with Superfeet insoles. I'm breaking them in by hiking the steepest trails I can find here with weight on my back. I may need to get my dad to spend a little more on boots but at least he's in great shape, haha. Appreciate all the support, we are really excited for the trip and reading all this is getting me even more pumped.

Trial153

WKR
I made my first trip playing hooky a week while i was college, going on 23 years later and trips every years, i am still learning.
Back then i just took my bow and went, we didnt have crap in the way of gear. External frame packs, 8 pound sleeping bags, i didnt think twice.
For elk hunting I think your best mind set being new is to forget preconceptions. Elk are where they are. Too often back when i was new i was hunting when i should have been moving. Coming from back east we are too used to hunting as soon as you leave your truck. That will waste a lot of days in elk county Stay mobil and start your hunt when you locate elk.

I would look closer at aerial images and plan my hike up the mountain to avoid blowdown.. seems obvious but I was toast in my first day before I started in NW MT just trying to get to my destination.

Tick

WKR
I try to change same two things every year. 1) Improve my conditioning to get up the mountains. 2) Take more time from work. It will be there when I get back.

cnelk

WKR
My first 'out west' rifle elk hunt was in 1980.
Came out to Colorado with my dad and uncle, devoted WT hunters.
We went back with 2 bull elk.
Hunt hard. Its still just hunting.
Enjoy the wide open space to roam.
Practice shooting your bow out to 50yds - or beyond.
Get used to using your range finder - a lot
Bring 2 wind puffer bottles - use them up
Jump rope - then jump more rope
Do squats

And most of all...
Have fun. Dont worry about going home empty handed and telling your buds you got skunked.
At least you did it and they didnt :)

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
You will never be in good enough shape. You will think you are in shape but 5,000 feet and tough terrain is tough on flatlanders. Condition.

Going west the 5th time rifle hunting this year. Learn elk sounds and behavior, condition and enjoy. Wonderful country.

I barely remember 40 but I seem to remember body parts hurt less back then.

Enjoy your hunt!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I went through 6 wind puffer bottles in 12 days archery elk hunting last year. I am taking 8 on a two week solo archer hunt this fall. You will figure out what is important very quickly if you get into elk archery hunting.

Whip

WKR
The first mistake we made on out maiden elk voyage was to pick a trailhead at the very end of a two track road. I learned that going to the end of the road is a popular choice for lots of hunters. The second mistake was being all in on our choice of spots. After 4 days and lots of miles with nothing but old sign to show for our efforts we should have packed up camp and found a plan B. But we didn't.
Plenty of other mistakes as well, but I say those two were the biggies.
Get in shape, stay flexible in your plans, keep a positive attitude and just enjoy the heck out of what should be a great experience!