Drew AZ Unit 27 for elk! But...

Ironman8

WKR
I screwed up the application and put antlerless!

(This is for archery season btw)

Not the end of the world But it does suck to lose a few points. So here’s my question that I’m hoping to get some input on…and I’ve been thinking this over for the past month...

Is it worth it to go to unit 27 and hunt for a cow? To be honest, at this point I would be happy to shoot a cow just for the meat regardless of where I go, but would AZ Unit 27 be better than something like OTC Colorado?

Anyone hunted there that can give direct experience about herd numbers and your “feelings” of the area?

(Yes, I’ve spoken with the statistician and the success rate in 2017 was 29%....however 2016 looks like it was 10%)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Which hunt? #3063 or 3064? Either way, success rates in the AZGFD Hunt Survey show well over 35% for previous years. 45 and 50% for both hunts last year. I've turkey hunted that unit a bunch as well as fish the Black River every year and I always see cow elk. Always.

I say go hunt and have a great time. It's a good unit that has awesome wildlife and great scenery.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks dmoto.

The hunt number that I drew this year is 3186. I forgot to mention that this is for archery season...I’m assuming your numbers are for rifle?

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks dmoto.

The hunt number that I drew this year is 3186. I forgot to mention that this is for archery season...I’m assuming your numbers are for rifle?

Yes, I was looking at the rifle hunt.

RoJo

WKR
Oh, heck yeah! Despite being a cow tag, I think you would be foolish to pass that up. Unit 27 is a great unit for elk. You will probably catch the end of the monsoon, so be prepared for rain, perhaps daily but probably mostly in the afternoon. So that is the early hunt, right? Hopefully the rut will be kicking in by then. Bring your cow call(s), cows will respond to calling. Are you planning to do a backpack hunt, or truck camping, or staying in a motel? Area suggestions will depend on that.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
While I find elk most days hunting otc, finding elk and killing elk with a bow in an otc unit are two very different things. When I was mule deer hunting in unit 27 back in January I literally had to stop the truck in the road twice while elk crossed and I walked within 30-50yds of elk to get to glassing points on several occasions. I imagine they don’t act that stupid during season, but I would go to 27 over an otc unit hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Also, where are you coming from?

RoJo,

Thanks for the input man. I’ll be coming from Houston, TX and plan to do a solo backpack hunt if I do go. Figure it won’t get as cold as Colorado (where I usually go) so I would probably try to stay within 3-5 miles of the road...not crazy far in. I think the hunt dates are from September 14th - 25th (or something like that).

Any area suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
While I find elk most days hunting otc, finding elk and killing elk with a bow in an otc unit are two very different things. When I was mule deer hunting in unit 27 back in January I literally had to stop the truck in the road twice while elk crossed and I walked within 30-50yds of elk to get to glassing points on several occasions. I imagine they don’t act that stupid during season, but I would go to 27 over an otc unit hands down.

All very true and good info TradAg. I may need to pick your brain on some areas if I end up going.

I have a rifle cow hunt in 27 for October. As already made clear, lots of elk. I hunt wilderness areas almost exclusively. I prefer the Blue Primative in 27. Lots of room to get away from other hunters. I’ve been in the wilderness on half a dozen scout-hikes since March. Really dry winter but reliable springs abound if you go in far enough and creeks flow constantly once you drop off toward the Blue. By all means, go hunt! I only hunt animals with horns when I have no other option. Strictly in it for the meat and adventure.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Been in that country twice, you should be able to kill a cow in there without having to pack it miles, not trying to take anything away from a pack in hunt, but solo packing a elk is a lot of work. A lot of that country you can comfortably camp , and hike in and day hunt. PM me if you want some spots to look at.
Mike

RoJo

WKR
A lot of country in 27 has burned the last several years. Not necessarily a bad thing, burns can be productive, and can make good glassing. Pretty much everything above the rim is good for elk in 27, and even a lot of country below the rim. The Blue Range is good, and the East Eagle Creek drainage. Areas that were good before they burned, and may still be, include the country around Hannagan, and the Coyote Creek drainage. I mean, you almost can't go wrong.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
All very true and good info TradAg. I may need to pick your brain on some areas if I end up going.

My office is at San Felipe and 610. If you decide to go let me know and we can grab lunch.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
I have a rifle cow hunt in 27 for October. As already made clear, lots of elk. I hunt wilderness areas almost exclusively. I prefer the Blue Primative in 27. Lots of room to get away from other hunters. I’ve been in the wilderness on half a dozen scout-hikes since March. Really dry winter but reliable springs abound if you go in far enough and creeks flow constantly once you drop off toward the Blue. By all means, go hunt! I only hunt animals with horns when I have no other option. Strictly in it for the meat and adventure.

Thanks Ethan. How far are you talking when you say that you have to pack in to find water? I would pack in a little further if I had a cold stream to submerge meat in to give me more time on a pack out. Thanks again for any advice.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks again RoJo. I’ll definitely look those areas up. I was reading some old threads on other forums saying the hunting was tough a few years after the fire. I think it’s been somewhere around 6-7 years since if I read right, so do you think the herds have bounced back in the area?

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
My office is at San Felipe and 610. If you decide to go let me know and we can grab lunch.

Sounds great man! I work in that area as well. I’ll definitely keep you updated.