Kentucky Elk Draw Results Post today

Gutshotem

WKR
Congrats to everyone who drew, hopefully you guys keep us updated on the hunts. Just another donation for me this year.

OP
T
I haven't been on this or any forums for a while but while on a google search I saw this thread. I drew a first rifle bull bull tag. Blew my mind as I wasn't expecting it especially after getting lucky in Wyoming on the random elk draw and being lucky drawing a new mexico bull tag too.

Well someone has a golden horseshoe!!! Care to pass it along to me? Congrats on some great tags!

KSP277

WKR
I drew archery bull in 2014, had to wait 3 years before I reapplied. Struck out this time. Cow archery resident was 1-7 odds and bull archery resident was 1-77 the year I drew. Anybody who drew and needs an outfitter PM me and I can put you in touch with Bugels&Struts. They’re mostly law enforcement guys and have access to some killer ground. Like a big dummy I passed on a 5x5 first 45 min of my hunt. Ended up killing a broke up bull few days later

A guy my brother works with drew a cow tag. Several years ago, he drew a rifle bull tag.

Have I mentioned that I hate Kentucky's elk tag system? I feel it should be once in a lifetime tags or a bonus point system.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Here's the current odds of drawing a tag.
e1afaeea1f33e40fab7c082b1c79c6a8.jpg

I guess I'll keep buying chances to hunt elk in my home state. Since I'm a resident, my odds of drawing a bull tag are still better than Montana's Big Horn Sheep resident tag.

Kentucky
NR Bull Gun tag @ .00124%
NR Bull Bow tag @ .00120%
R Bull Gun tag @ .00704%
R Bull Bow tag @ .00980%

Montana Bighorn Sheep
NR Area 482 @ .00084
NR Area 680 @ .00086
R Area 482 @ .00433
R Area 680 @ .00609

I'll shut up now and quit dwelling on it. After all, it's not like I can change any of it.

OP
T
Yea the odds have really went down the last few years. When I first started applying odds of NR cow archery tag were like 1 in 35 and a bull tag was like 1 in 300. I still couldn't draw either one back then!! Oh well, no matter how crappy the odds I will continue to donate my money to them. The cost is minimal to get in the drawing and the chance to only have to drive 3-4 hours to be in elk country will keep me applying. I wish my home state (North Carolina) would get of their butts and start alotting a few elk tags. We have a couple hundred elk running around the mountains and they proposed a season a couple years ago. The wildlife commission never really wanted elk in the first place and they keep acting like if they ignore them they will go away. I went up to the Cherokee Indian Reservation a month ago and saw 35 elk. My buddy rented a cabin a few weeks ago in the mountains and saw several bulls grazing out in a farmers field. He stopped in to talk to the farmer and he told him he sees elk almost every day. My buddy got good photos of the bulls and none of them have tags in their ears, which means they have never really been accounted for. Our wildlife estimates there are 160-200 elk in the mountains here. But they don't really know how many there are. Hell, one of our NC elk wandered all the way down the South Carolina last year, a couple hundred miles from where they were originally transplanted. In recent years, farmers have started to complain about crop/property damage from elk. The wildlife gives out a couple depred permits to them. Why not hand out 5-10 lottery tags, charge $10-20 or hell even $50 to apply? Make some money, get rid of some elk and make everyone happy. I would pay to play even if they odds were long on drawing a tag.