Solo New Mexico gmu 52

coadyadam

FNG
I drew a first season archery elk tag for NM unit 52. If anyone has hunted this unit, I love to hear about your experience there. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty2426

WKR
I drew a first season archery elk tag for NM unit 52. If anyone has hunted this unit, I love to hear about your experience there. Much appreciated.

I drew first rifle so I’d like to stay in touch and hear your experiences as well

ACC

FNG
Hunted it last year second season, I would take a treestand and mainly hunt tanks and do some spot and stalk. I would say that there's very little rut activity early unless a freak cold front comes though. Last year the last 4-5 days of the second season were the best for rut activity.

OP
C

coadyadam

FNG
Hunted it last year second season, I would take a treestand and mainly hunt tanks and do some spot and stalk. I would say that there's very little rut activity early unless a freak cold front comes though. Last year the last 4-5 days of the second season were the best for rut activity.

Roger that. I plan on taking my climber and sitting on tanks. Did you get to notch your tag?

ACC

FNG
Did you get to notch your tag?

My son took a 5x5 off a tank I ended up with tag soup. Lots of elk in the unit but also a lot of pressure.

OP
C

coadyadam

FNG
Must be pretty dry. Stage 2 fire restrictions start tomorrow.

LaGriz

WKR
coadyadam,
I hunted in the unit in 2000, 2007,2011, and last fall Second rifle elk. I can share some info with you and may know someone to help you if your interested. I have had mixed results on these hunts, but I really like the unit and all of Northern New Mexico. One of my favorite destinations. Shure hope they get some rain soon.
LaGriz

OP
C

coadyadam

FNG
coadyadam,
I hunted in the unit in 2000, 2007,2011, and last fall Second rifle elk. I can share some info with you and may know someone to help you if your interested. I have had mixed results on these hunts, but I really like the unit and all of Northern New Mexico. One of my favorite destinations. Shure hope they get some rain soon.
LaGriz

Thanks LaGriz, Of course I’d appreciate any information you have. I’d would also like to talk to your guy thatmay help. Thanks again.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
LaGriz’s guy is the same guy that put me on bulls daily last year. If he is available, you should snatch him up.

Turkeyjoe

FNG
coadyadam,
LaGriz
I have 2nd archery season tag. Would love a little direction. Moved down couple years ago from alaska. Scouted 52 a little last weekend. Beautiful country. Happy with small bull or cow. Will tent camp anywhere. Prefer to stay out of basin because will be by myself. Any help appreciated and respected

Turkeyjoe

FNG
Sit the NM CO border. You won’t have to wait long for the mass exodus of elk from CO to NM
Very clever, cute , thoughtless response. Unfortunately, that wasnt the info i was looking for. It is my first and last posting. Hopefully someday you might request and get something equally childish. On a positive note, a great guy responded and was very helpful.

Gila

WKR
Very clever, cute , thoughtless response. Unfortunately, that wasnt the info i was looking for. It is my first and last posting. Hopefully someday you might request and get something equally childish. On a positive note, a great guy responded and was very helpful.
Actually the elk herds do migrate down to New Mexico from Colorado. The elk move through the same corridors and about the same time every year. It has nothing to do with hunting pressure. The Rocky Mountain Elk have been doing it for thousands of years like geese. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation used to have a an elk migration layer for OnX but they discontinued that layer several years ago.

However, sitting along a fence line on the border during the Co. rifle opener isn’t such a bad idea!