Idaho non-resident elk A tag

Just wonder? Does Idaho sell out all the non-resident general area archery A tags? Just wondering if I should be worried about it.
Thanks

Pgohil

WKR
Idaho doesn't have a general area. Your tag is ELK GMU SPECIFC. Last year the non resident tags did sell out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Pgohil

WKR
Those listed have specific quotas for each GMU. But the "all other" doesn't mean you can buy a General Tag and hunt where you wish. When you purchase your tag, you still have to denote which GMU you want. However if you change your mind, they can transfer your tag to another GMU for $3.75.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Pgohil

WKR
Those listed have specific quotas for each GMU. But the "all other" doesn't mean you can buy a General Tag and hunt where you wish. When you purchase your tag, you still have to denote which GMU you want. However if you change your mind, they can transfer your tag to another GMU for $3.75.

The total statewide cap on non resident elk tags sold out last year in early November. There's also a cap for some zones while others are uncapped. Probably half of the capped zones have already sold out non resident tags for 2018 (mostly the more desirable ones with likely more elk).

If you're getting an A tag, presumably for archery, you might want to look at units without a general rifle season if you're interested in trophy quality.

OP
F
Good deal, and thanks. I'm glad to hear they don't sell out in July. I knew that when you bought one it was for a specific GMU but I didn't know you could switch it later if you wanted.
Thanks

HookUp

WKR
A lot of guys are waiting on draws in other states before buying there Idaho tags. Idaho is more opportunity than quality, yes they sold out last year
and other years they have not. After the long wolf years Idaho elk are making a comeback but you still have to work your azz off for them.

You are confusing GMU with ZONE. OTC A & B tags are for elk zones, usually encompassing 2-3 GMU's. I, for example, buy an OTC A tag almost every year because the specific GMU I like to hunt is draw only for rifle. The draw tag is specific to the one GMU while the A tag I get I can also hunt 2 neighboring units that make up the rest of the ZONE.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The total statewide cap on non resident elk tags sold out last year in early November. There's also a cap for some zones while others are uncapped. Probably half of the capped zones have already sold out non resident tags for 2018 (mostly the more desirable ones with likely more elk).

If you're getting an A tag, presumably for archery, you might want to look at units without a general rifle season if you're interested in trophy quality.
^this is good advice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nickstone

WKR

Do you have a link or information about where I can find out more about transfering tags? I'm not seeing anything in the regs or on the website?

You can transfer your own tags (i.e. switch to a different zone) before the season starts. Call the F&G for specifics on the process. I remember thinking it was easy when I asked them about it but can't remember the exact specifics.