Early or late September

Thess87

WKR
My wife and I are heading to Colorado since we didn’t draw a tag this year was wondering your thought on which would be better to go opening week and a half and hunt high or last part and hope we can get into some rut action (preference is late but worried with it being Colorado that the pressure will have them tight lipped and we’ll be looking for a needle in a hay stack)

NYSKIER

WKR
If you search a bit you should be able to turn up a thread related to this very question. Not trying to be rude just trying to help you pull in as much info as you can in addition to the info that you will hopefully get on this thread. If it were me I'd say it depends on what unit you are going to and how deep in you are going to go. Good to keep in mind that early season the focus should be on food and the later it gets they will hopefully be moving more and will make some noise. Also great to see your wife hunts with you my soon to be wife does to and I couldn't be happier! Good luck on your hunt!

It almost seems like from your question that you're expecting them to be vocal early. That can happen but not often prior to September 12th or so. They frequently come in silent. A lot of guys like the time immediately preceding peak rut and a lot of guys like peak rut. Pressure kinda just affects things any time.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
"The rut" has peaks and valleys from early Sept to mid Oct with so many variables that can effect what you see/hear as "rut action".
It would be tuff to nail down some solid advice to you but I'd err on the later side of Sept.

To be clear though, it's not equally likely that you will experience rut action on any given day from early September to mid October. There's just no guarantees that you will or won't experience rutting behaviors despite the likelihood on a given day. I think it's misleading to a beginning elk hunter to make it seem like bugling occurs randomly during those times and there are no traditionally established periods of the rut. It's a tough lesson to learn though to show up on September 20th and see fresh elk sign and not hear a peep.

BKhunter

WKR
I went last year to CO and went in the day after labor day. It was HOT during the day and nothing was bugling. I didn't get into any elk, but I saw sign and had a great time.

bz_711

WKR
If you want more rut activity the later the better (on average). Pressure is what you make of it...there's pressure on opening week as well...no matter what part of season, focus on areas that are hard to get to and steer clear of any marked trailhead or parking area...better off pulling over at random spot on a road and heading up hill...other hunters don't do that...just my .02cents

The best part is you'll have a blast either way. If threat of cold/snow is a big issue for you or wife, then consider early season as it's always mild...last week can be warm, but can also be snow.

cnelk

WKR
Early or late, go when you can spend the most time.
If time is the same, flip a coin.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I don’t ever expect for rut action but just seems I normally get into it more later in the month. First of season would probably be treeline spot and stalk kind of stuff. Not scared of weather as she’s probably tougher than I am. Lol. Thanks again for the input

danarnold

WKR
we went opening week last year Co, didnt hear a peep, I put my friend on a bull opening am and I killed a cow 2 days later.
there was a lot of pressure and we saw lotsa hunters on the roads and in camps, it was hot also..9k elev