Early elk scouting

Bdhuntin

FNG
Planning a scouting trip/ family vacation first week of June. Is it realistic to think that if I find elk in an area this time of year, that they will be in the same areas come September? This is my first elk hunt and I’m trying to get as familiar with the terrain as possible.
Thanks for any help!

big44a4

WKR
Planning a scouting trip/ family vacation first week of June. Is it realistic to think that if I find elk in an area this time of year, that they will be in the same areas come September? This is my first elk hunt and I’m trying to get as familiar with the terrain as possible.
Thanks for any help!

My trip last September they were not where they were over the summer. I can’t go scouting this summer but if I did I look for old rubs and signs of where they are in September not particularly elk.

Have to think about pressure, weather, and other factors come September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdog

FNG
A lot of it depends on the area. If you find them extremely high in the summer they may not be that high come fall time. It's pretty safe to say that any mature bulls you find in the summer most likely will be in bachelor groups with other bulls and come September they won't be in the same area as they will be splitting up for the rut. If you want to find where the bulls will be, find the cows.

Ya, find the cows. From my experience I think the first week of June is usually too early, though.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Late May to early June the elk (cows) are in their calving area. I have found that they tend to be in these same areas come Sept.
Like what's been said above, look for cows. Fun to look at bulls but it's not realistic to find them in June and expect them to be in that same area in Sept.

I'd focus your efforts on looking for north facing slopes (bedding), water sources and food. Look for access to these areas and mostly how you think others will access these same areas.

This is mid June, about 40 cows here. I took my bull 1 mile from this spot last weekend of archery.
30d454c31232ed2bdd5a6c633d736196.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super

Banned
Good advice above, Elk hunting is tough especially if your going at it alone. It took me 4 years to get my first bull. My advice is get into elk country and leave the bugle in your truck. I have shot 3 5x5s in the last three seasons all called in using just cow calls. Best advice is just keep at er you will find success eventually. Good luck

Scoot

WKR
Haha, I'll offer you the opposite advice as super did above-- learn when and how to use a bugle and it'll be a very valuable tool to you. Aggressive calling (bugling) up close and personal has resulted in most of my elk coming home with me. Not all, but most...

Hard to say, it really depends on the area. Where I like to hunt the country isn't thawed out till around the end of June, so the elk aren't in there (at least in force) till mid-late July. Mainly early scouting is learning the terrain and what to expect for habitat come hunting season.

OP
B

Bdhuntin

FNG
Thanks for the info guys! Really appreciate y’all helping us newbies out.

wytx

WKR
What state ? You might check to see how snowpack is, it might still be deep if it's up high.
Best advice is above, look for rubs from past years and especially this past fall.
Don't be surprised if it snows in early June, we can get a nasty heavy wet snow first 2 weeks in. Bring your jackets.

cnelk

WKR
This morning in Wyoming- 9500ft
We couldn’t even get to where we wanted to go

The elk were just starting to move up - some tracks around

Attachments

• 1996AD7F-9A29-4320-85B0-8C3D526D086D.jpg
    1996AD7F-9A29-4320-85B0-8C3D526D086D.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 48
  • C3745376-54DF-4C22-AEB3-1E37F9BD4180.jpg
    C3745376-54DF-4C22-AEB3-1E37F9BD4180.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 42