Idaho elk 2018 unit choice

chubbs59

FNG
Hello all

local guy grew up down in southwest corner of the state.

Grew up hunting central part of the state on the far side of what is the mccall zone, unit 25 around landmark. Spent lots of time mule deer hunting units 40 and 42 in the owyhees, and backpacked all over around the sawtooths and above mccall in the loon lake area.

Been gone from down that way for several years. We were there during some of the best years and the worst after the wolves moved in or fires cleared out lots of the east side of the mccall zone.

Always seemed to have a few elk around even during the roughest years.

Primarily rifle hunted down that way but doing archery pretty much full time now.

Just curious if anyone has archery hunted down around that area in recent year or two and how the herds down there are doing. Last year i was that way was 2013 i believe. Shot a wolf that year and bumped a few elk around but no luck. That was a rifle hunt in october.

Been hunting up north last couple years. Out of lewiston now.

I know there are lots of elk up here and chased a big boy and his cows around last year but couldn't close the deal.

Have hunted 8 and 8a, as well as 10a. Looking at units 9 or 10 real hard as well. Bit of a jungle i know but found some spots north of the the north fork of the clearwater that look good. Tons of sign but f&g and others have said that herds up there are super week from wolves.. Could be stories could be right. But just looking for some info or suggestions. Going in for 12 days backpacking this year wherever we go.

Got apps in for owyhee south hills and hells canyon as well but the odds of drawing those are pretty hard.

Im not a horn hunter just looking to get some meat for the family. Any info, tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks all.

Do you want to hunt cows or bulls? If you just want meat in the freezer, a cow tag seems best. Archery hunting is usually always lower success rates also. If you do archery hunt, you might want to find a zone with higher elk numbers--ones that are at or above objectives.

The McCall zone population seems pretty low from all available data right now--success rates, hunter observations (including my own), and surveys. The bio would probably be one of the best sources of current intel. Many units were flown this year.

You could still find elk in your old haunts for sure. Your knowledge is helpful. No doubt there's still predator impact in the McCall zone though.

OP
C

chubbs59

FNG
Idahohikker
thanks for the response

honestly i am all about the experience of the hunt. If i can dump a bull great, if not all for a cow. I have done the rifle thing and it is always an option but honestly have just had way more luck during archery season when i can work them with calls and they tend to get a little "goofy" at times.

Have done the homework in the way of surveys and herd quotas, success numbers, and so on, so i know that there are some challenges to any of the areas out there. The tools idfg has online and gohunt provide have been very helpful.

Just hoping to see what info my fellow sportsmen can share from observations in some of these areas.

Last time i was down in the east part of unit 25 the recovery from the fires in 07,09, and 2011 were just starting to show, and there were signs of some animals around. Still lots of of wolves but they are where the elk are. Biggest question for me is what is that area like in sept vs late october when i rifle hunted it growing up. Looking to go camp and scout that way next month so that will help me see whats going on down that way these days.

Thanks again.