Phelps amped series?

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Which one do you recommend? I’m looking for one that is easy to use and can do it all. Cow call & challenge bugle at least.

Looks like maybe grey, white, red, pink or purple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Give him a call and he can talk you through it. The difference is not in the sound produced, it's in the amount of air pressure you like to use. Black for lots of pressure, white for low pressure. Once you have the right call for your bugle, then you can make any sound from that reed.

I blow very hard, so the black one works best for me. The white and green ones break over from too much pressure when I bugle, where as the black one will stand up to it. The white one is designed to still give a good loud bugle for the guy that prefers to use low pressure. The grey is in the middle. No way is right or wrong, just match up to your style.

Jason recommended that I try the grey and the Black, then order 3-4 more of the one i liked best. I think I got one of each to try. I can cow call with any of them, and can bugle with most of them, but the black is easiest for me personally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Give him a call and he can talk you through it. The difference is not in the sound produced, it's in the amount of air pressure you like to use. Black for lots of pressure, white for low pressure. Once you have the right call for your bugle, then you can make any sound from that reed.

I blow very hard, so the black one works best for me. The white and green ones break over from too much pressure when I bugle, where as the black one will stand up to it. The white one is designed to still give a good loud bugle for the guy that prefers to use low pressure. The grey is in the middle. No way is right or wrong, just match up to your style.

Jason recommended that I try the grey and the Black, then order 3-4 more of the one i liked best. I think I got one of each to try. I can cow call with any of them, and can bugle with most of them, but the black is easiest for me personally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good info. Thanks flyguy.

I had the same question a couple months ago and just decided to get a few of them. Picked up the black, grey, white, and green. Coincidentally, I have also found the black AMP to work best for me. I did the same thing with some Rocky Mtn diaphragm's and it always seems like there's one that you can make sound better than the rest. I never knew about the pressure differences though, that's good to know

TauPhi111

WKR
I had never blown a diaphram call before so I emailed him and asked. He recommended the green and black amped for new callers. After spitting everywhere for a few minutes I was making sounds and I'm getting better at them. I'll be buying a few more for sure before the fall.

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
I own almost all of the amp series including the bro amp calls! What I have found is they all do excel at different things for instance for soft cow calls the blue bro is tough to beat it’s really sweet sounding and easy to blow especially when winded from hiking for big nasty bugles I like the white or pink one! If I had to take just one it would be the red Maverick!!!! It’s my go to. I think everyone is a little different though so buy a few try them.

The white is my go-to. It's so incredibly versatile and I feel like if I had to pick one diaphragm call forever, that would be it.

KSP277

WKR
Not trying to highjack but which Phelps frame is “normal” size? I’ve owned piles and piles of turkey diaphragms, usually not an option in the frame size and never had an issue with getting them to fit. Only owned 3 elk calls all were primos, and they fit fine. Tried to call Phelps from the number on the website several times but no answer. Planning to order a few but wanted to know which ones were standard size

Mjgetch

FNG
Like others have said get a hold of Jason and he will help you figure out what is best for you. Facebook message or email usually works well. My go to last year was the green amp , also carried the white and grey. This year I will probably be using the maverick. All are great calls and make excellent sounds. Jason’s signature call is also a good one. The Purple one (Charlie’s signature) is a bit harder to blow but again great sounds.

I am pretty sure all the amps are on medium frames . Some of the other calls come in a large and medium frame. Standard used to be the large frame.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll be ordering a handful. I’ve only heard good things about these so far.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to Phelps on 5 or 6 of the Gritty podcast. I ordered the green, grey, black & white based on his recommendations there and what has been said here.

I’ve been using the Rocky Mountain game calls mellow yellow, all-star, raging bull & Chappell’s estrus excited. I’ll update after I use them a while with how they compare for me.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Im new to calling and picked up an Phelps Signature AMP Diaphragm. Learned very quickly and love this diaphragm so far.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
They showed up this morning. I tried the grey one for just a couple minutes. Pretty impressed so far. Seems to be a lot better than anything I’ve tried so far. Good construction, easy to blow. I’ll give a better review in a week or two once I’ve had some time to really use them.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been messing around with these for a few weeks now. They all sound good and can get cow calls and bugles out of all of them. They all require different air and tongue pressure. It was hard for me to adjust at first.

The white is great for locator bugles. This was the hardest for me to cow call with.

The grey is my number 1 followed by the black then red. The green has been my least favorite, but it still works good for all of the sounds.

In my limited experience with calls, I think these are better than the Rocky Mountain diaphragms I’ve used.