Idaho elk population surveys

sasquatch

WKR
Planning my trip to idaho, I have the area I plan to hunt narrowed down, but am trying to find any actual head counts done on the areas made during the winter months observations. Maybe during a fly over or something like some states do.

Does anyone know of this info exist on the fish and game site and how to get to it? I can’t come up with anything.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they're published anywhere. If you call the bio for the zone, they can give you at least a rough idea. Previous ones are in the 2014 Elk Management Plan. They will tell you if the zone is trending up or down since then.

If you post the zone or PM me, I can likely give you an idea of what they were for most zones.

If the data exists you should be able to get it under FOIA. I've gotten stuff from the IL DNR of a similar nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
They do winter helicopter surveys every 3-4 years in the units. I have called and talked to bios and the ones I talked to stayed vague and wouldn't give me specific data. Most IDFG employees are hunters and we talked about that and I think that has an influence on what gets released. You can look at harvest data and unit objective maps and figure it out very quick without picking up a a phone.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. Good stuff. It has some updated surveys since the 2014 Plan.