What do archery elk hunters do when...

Last year we hunted a draw unit and didn't really have this problem, but this year we will be doing Colorado OTC. So we have an area picked out and digitally scouted (actually several) When you get to it, there are truck(s) there already. Do you still push in, figuring it's big country, and their not in your exact area? Or do you leave and try another spot, figuring they blew everything out of the area, but not knowing if your other spots will have people there too. I struggle with this, I know the CO. OTC units can be crowded. I have a hard enough time getting an elk, much less with other people around. What do you do?

bsnedeker

WKR
Go in assuming that the guys there already don't know what they are doing and will push the animals to you!!!

Seriously though, I found in CO during my hunt there that the majority of the trucks at the trailhead and the people on horses were there for fishing, not hunting. I did run into some hunters out in the backcountry a couple of times, but all that told me was that I needed to get further back in...didn't see a soul the second half of my hunt. In your scouting I would just recommend looking for places far from trails that look painful to get to. You probably won't run into anyone, and you have a better chance of running into some elk.

At least in the areas I hunt in CO, some OTC - some easy draw, I plan around hunting pressure in my hunting strategy. Like bsnedeker said - if you plan carefully they just might push them to you. Generally speaking, the more rugged and remote the less chance the hunters there are making the critters schizophrenic. I generally plan on the "average joe hunter" pushing certain areas and make sure I get situated where pressure from multiple areas push critters within range of my stand or a basin I am positioned in. In another area - a hundred vehicles park at a trailhead to a wilderness area and all go into the wilderness at that one point (some hunting, some fishing, some rubberneckers). I consistently had success in a "roaded" area that had some rugged terrain that everybody hurriedly drove past to get to that "pristine wilderness". There's a big difference in planning where critters might be opening week, where the weekend warriors might hunt hard and spook game, and then where they might be after pressure is applied. All are necessary to incorporate into your planning.

Look at your area - is there an area folks are driving through to get to that magical parking spot that might be a hidden refuge for pressured game? What terrain feature will separate the men from the boys? Assuming there are folks in the area - what is your plan B to account for where those folks will likely go on horse/foot?

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s Colorado! Every trail head will most likely be filled with trucks full of out of state hunters. I live in Colorado and the thought of hunting otc makes me wants to go hunt somewhere else. I couldn’t imagine dropping 600 in tags and then another 1-2k in travel to come out here and hunt otc. Good luck though! Someone has to account for those 5% success rates!

LostArra

WKR
When I hunted Colorado OTC the trucks with horse trailers were usually guys going to camps much further from the trailhead than I was going so we hunted between the trailhead and the horse camps and never felt crowded.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have found that staying away from trailheads during OTC hunts is the key to finding animals consistently (ID & WA, not CO, but shouldn't be far off). Try driving some logging roads early a.m. and bugling into draws without trails. Keep moving until you find elk. Once you do, find a wide spot to pull off and get after them at first light. If you want to backpack in and stay, you can still do so, but usually I find I get into animals within 1-3 miles of logging roads. It can be super effective to stay away from the circus that happens at marked trailheads. I try to scratch my high country spike camp itch on mule deer hunts. Also makes packing out a lot less dramatic unless you get into thick areas or deadfall.

This method is obviously predicated on the tag being at least reasonably close to the rut. Lot of ways to skin a cat, but this works for me.

Jbehredt

WKR
My last two elk have come after someone blew up my plan A. The elk don’t disappear..... they hide.

cnelk

WKR
Ever since the 'Go Deep' fad started, I have adjusted my techniques.
Sure I 'usta' go deep to but it soon got crowded.

Now, I dont go deep. I find pockets of elk within 3/4 from my truck and other trucks.

In 2015, we killed 4 elk - 3 bulls and a cow - and the furthest one was 300yds from a vehicle 2 track we drove to get it.

In fact since 2009, we've killed 15+ elk within 3/4 mi of a vehicle - all OTC Public Land.

Elk are smart, and lazy.
Elk are where you find them - no matter how many trucks are at the trailhead

Good luck

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When you get to it, there are truck(s) there already.

By this statement I will assume that you have one plan.......where the trucks are. I would have at least a dozen different plans based on my scouting before I even set foot in the area. If there are trucks at plan A, I try plan B, or C, or D, etc.

However, there are areas I hunt where you could send 1/2 a dozen groups out from and they'd never run into each other. So I take that into account as well. Early in the 2012 season there was a camp and even multiple vehicles at one of the trailheads I use. I moved on, but I came back a few different times throughout the season to see if they were still there. The camp was there for 3 weeks with other vehicles thrown in every now and then. I talked to the guys at the camp one afternoon as they were packing up to leave. They said they saw 5 cows and two small bulls the entire time. The next morning I drove to the TH and it was vacant. I shot a 300+ bull that morning at 10am. So.......just because there are people there, doesn't mean that you can't get on the elk. But I generally avoid people and vehicles like the plague. I'll hunt an area that has been hunted, but I hate hunting an area where other hunters are also hunting.

My experience with OTC units is that they are heavily used by both DIY guys and outfitters. You can find the Outfitter distribution in USDA websites for specific ranges. EX: I hunt Park Ranger District, and https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5151708.pdf is very useful for me.
Keeping in mind that pack horses tend to stay near trails*, I use NaturalAtlas | AllTrails websites to find areas that are a bit away from trails, and that at least eliminates guided hunters. * - there are always exceptions, this is just my experience.
You're most likely going to bump into guys, no matter what you try to do on OTC public land. I watched two guys call to each other last season 4+ miles in. It was equal parts hilarious and depressing.
My general plan when OTC Elk hunting is to get off the trails a bit, set a spike camp, and glassing til i find the Elk. I also don't take afternoon naps, and will stalk north slopes *slowly* if I cannot locate elk optically or audibly. I should also mention that I have no confidence using my calls, and generally don't make a peep while in the field.

HookUp

WKR
Go steep not deep. You would be amazed at the flat spots and hidey holes animals find in OTC units.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve hunted otc units for 38 seasons one thing I’ve learned is do the best you can, be prepared physically to outwork most, always be ready, stay positive and work your ass off knowing you can rest after season👍 Have fun and don’t worry about things you can’t control

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
From observing my brothers elk hunts over the years in heavily pressured OTC hunts in Colorado, is that many of the guys at the trailhead don't really know what they are doing. In the area they hunt, a lot of guys have been parking their campers in the same spot every year, and it becomes a social scene. These guys are lucky to kill something once every few years. Guys come back to camp for lunch, a lot of hunters sleep in every few days. My brothers have gained a reputation over the years as these legendary elk killers. There is nothing legendary about their tactics. Don't doubt yourself too much, get in early, stay in late. There is some great advice within this thread. I have enjoyed it.

danarnold

WKR
last year we had a small Rv camp outside of a gate opening weekend, I’d been successful there the year before so I knew pretty much where I wanted to be, we saw probably a dozen people going in before we hit the trail, luckily they all went right past where we wanted to be. I put my buddy on a Bull opening morning which he took , I killed a cow Monday morning, both less than a mile from a two wheel trail.
The year before I took a 6X6 within a few hundred yards of the spot.
f56b370a27cdd3b783141af44bd65595.jpg

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I drove out from NH to CO for Bow season, 3rd & 4th weeks, OTC unit. I had a plan to hunt a specific trailhead (e-scouted, never been there) with a back-up to go to one of the two spots I hunted two years prior. Upon arriving at the TH, and the road leading in, it looked like a KOA Campground. I walked up to a camp right at the TH with a couple of guys having lunch and asked what the deal was there; like where were most guys heading and such; as there were a few options for trails there. They were fantastic! They were residents, Grandson and his former Marine Grand-dad, part of big crew-couple of campers and a wall tent, and there for the MZ hunt. They gave me the skinny on the area, gave their opinion on my backup areas, and then suggested another TH to check out. So I headed to the TH they recommended and found no one there. I set up a base camp there and really didn't find the area all that busy the 10 days I was there. So you never know what you'll find. And don't be afraid to talk with folks. I found everyone I spoke with, every other hunter I encountered-bow or MZ, were extremely friendly, helpful, and willing to share info. Good luck! I can't wait to go back in 2019-unfortunately its an every other year thing for me right now.

KSP277

WKR
I’m not trying to sound like an ass but I’m gonna jump out on a limb and guess if he had a dozen places picked out and scouted this wouldn’t even be a question

KSP277

WKR
By this statement I will assume that you have one plan.......where the trucks are. I would have at least a dozen different plans based on my scouting before I even set foot in the area. If there are trucks at plan A, I try plan B, or C, or D, etc.

However, there are areas I hunt where you could send 1/2 a dozen groups out from and they'd never run into each other. So I take that into account as well. Early in the 2012 season there was a camp and even multiple vehicles at one of the trailheads I use. I moved on, but I came back a few different times throughout the season to see if they were still there. The camp was there for 3 weeks with other vehicles thrown in every now and then. I talked to the guys at the camp one afternoon as they were packing up to leave. They said they saw 5 cows and two small bulls the entire time. The next morning I drove to the TH and it was vacant. I shot a 300+ bull that morning at 10am. So.......just because there are people there, doesn't mean that you can't get on the elk. But I generally avoid people and vehicles like the plague. I'll hunt an area that has been hunted, but I hate hunting an area where other hunters are also hunting.

I’m not trying to sound like an ass but I’m gonna jump out on a limb and guess if he had a dozen places picked out and scouted this wouldn’t even be a question

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Nope......you're just re-stating the obvious. And therein lies the problem. Good thing he's got plenty of time to scour the maps and come up with alternate places before the season starts. Then when he gets there, he can decide which option he wants to go with.