And here it comes...

cnelk

WKR
And here it comes... Now 2019

Now that Colorado has released the elk draw, here come the threads....

"Not looking for your honey holes, but can anyone help me with unit XXX?"

"Has anyone hunted unit XXX? I drew a tag and dont know anything about it"

"I drew unit XXX - any help will be appreciated"

And so on...

Last edited:

Dusty2426

WKR
Now that Colorado has released the elk draw, here come the threads....

"Not looking for your honey holes, but can anyone help me with unit XXX?"

"Has anyone hunted unit XXX? I drew a tag and dont know anything about it"

"I drew unit XXX - any help will be appreciated"

And so on...

Kinda thought that is what forums are for, To share information and to help people.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
In general yes.
But only fools will post specific intel on the web

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I will tell you that unit XXX can be very productive........as long as you know what you're doing. Come to think of it, unit XYZ is very much the same as XXX. So flip a coin and go to either or both.......but make sure you know what you're doing.

Brendan

WKR
Kinda thought that is what forums are for, To share information and to help people.

Anyone who posts specific locations, drainages on the web should be shot, tarred and feathered, banned for life, you name it... (Unless of course they're completely trolling the person who asked the question....) Perfect way to ruin a spot. Even just asking about a specific location will pretty much guarantee extra people show up there.

And, what you realize once you've hunted for a while, it's not about "getting a location".

Squirrels

WKR
Even just asking about a specific location will pretty much guarantee extra people show up there.

This is the part that absolutely kills me....they don't even realize what they are doing by even asking about a spot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is the part that absolutely kills me....they don't even realize what they are doing by even asking about a spot.

For the average guy coming from back east, they think that asking about a specific unit is very vague information given the size of the units. But I cringe every time I even see a specific unit mentioned. Even a quadrant of the state curls my skin. Most these guys don't realize just how much territory a guy can cover in an elk season. And when you eliminate all the non-elk areas of a unit, or seasonal areas, it really does narrow things down in a hurry. Most the units I hunt, I'll have at least a dozen areas that I'll hunt during that season, and those areas encompass a large portion of any given unit.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Spot on for - Brenden/Squirrels/5miles

As for the ‘not looking for honey holes’
What the hell are you looking for? Bad areas?

I think many apply for a license and haven’t done a lick of prior research, then get on forums, asking about specific areas/drainages thinking people will spout off intel.

Rookies

3forks

WKR
For the average guy coming from back east, they think that asking about a specific unit is very vague information given the size of the units. But I cringe every time I even see a specific unit mentioned. Even a quadrant of the state curls my skin. Most these guys don't realize just how much territory a guy can cover in an elk season. And when you eliminate all the non-elk areas of a unit, or seasonal areas, it really does narrow things down in a hurry. Most the units I hunt, I'll have at least a dozen areas that I'll hunt during that season, and those areas encompass a large portion of any given unit.

I agree with this. There are soooo many resources now to help hunters get information on a unit and/or learn about elk hunting.

I understand that people are looking for information that will make them as successful as possible, but I think they look at the hunt like as if they are following a cookbook recipe and expect a guaranteed result.

I really wish there was a policy on this board against asking for info on a unit.

Dusty2426

WKR
I agree with this. There are soooo many resources now to help hunters get information on a unit and/or learn about elk hunting.

I understand that people are looking for information that will make them as successful as possible, but I think they look at the hunt like as if they are following a cookbook recipe and expect a guaranteed result.

I really wish there was a policy on this board against asking for info on a unit.

There is a policy. As in anything in life. If you don’t want to respond don’t but you don’t have to ridicule someone for asking. I think when someone asks and no one replies that tells them all they need to know. “Google it and find out”. My point is I don’t want this board to become like so many others and become hostile. This is generally a good group with very few whiners.

3forks

WKR
There is a policy. As in anything in life. If you don’t want to respond don’t but you don’t have to ridicule someone for asking. I think when someone asks and no one replies that tells them all they need to know. “Google it and find out”. My point is I don’t want this board to become like so many others and become hostile. This is generally a good group with very few whiners.

No one is ridiculing anyone and I wouldn't want the board to intimidate people or keep them from posting.

What I'm referring to is a policy or statement that explains why people shouldn't ask for info about specific units. As others have pointed out, even just asking about a general area gives it more exposure. Instead of people posting and getting no reply, I just think they shouldn't post asking for info at all.

Dusty2426

WKR
No one is ridiculing anyone and I wouldn't want the board to intimidate people or keep them from posting.

What I'm referring to is a policy or statement that explains why people shouldn't ask for info about specific units. As others have pointed out, even just asking about a general area gives it more exposure. Instead of people posting and getting no reply, I just think they shouldn't post asking for info at all.

I get it. And I think we are on the same page. I just feel that we can’t control what some people do or ask but we can control how we react to it.

Bulldawg

WKR
I’m not looking for a trophy just want a respectable 300 inch bull.

Oh is that it? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
I agree to an extent. I recently joined this forum just to learn something’s, read about things I have a passion for and quite frankly, waste time while I’m sitting on the shitter or bored.

I’ve frequented a duck hunting forum before, but that site turned into zero hunting and silly crap.
It would chap my ass when guys would tell you exactly where they had a good shoot, not realizing I was the guy 600 yards away having a good shoot. Had to set the alarm an hour earlier the next day.

If a person draws a super tough tag in a PP area or a once in a lifetime (sheep) I’d be more than happy to share everything I know.
If it is a tag under 8 points to draw, I’d share info via PM only.
The second you tell everyone how great a OTC hunt or 2-3 point draw hunt is, you just hosed yourself and many others.

Lol. As a noob I learned pretty quick that a unit specific forum question is not the best way yo gain knowledge. Boots to ground, years in same unit, podcasts, meet good hunters and be a sponge, learn the species/seasons, study maps, etc. no secret sauce that I’ve found. (Pm me if u found out about a secret sauce!)

Anyone know when the deer and pronghorn results will be released by CODOW? I know it’s sometime June 4-8, but wondering if they are doing one species release per day or what. Different way of doing it this year.

[sarcasm font]
I guess I won't post a thread about your best spots for a 300" bull in a specific Colorado OTC unit on my first western hunt that I was contemplating. I can't believe you guys won't give that up.
[/sarcasm font]

Last edited: