Bone-in or Boneless?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Why would anyone not removed the bones out of your quarters prior to packing them out. I am new to this but the extra weight of non-edible parts doesn't make sense to me unless the quarter gets frozen overnight. Help me understand why the bone-in analysis.

Brendan

WKR
Less surface area to get contaminated / dirty before processing. Easier to bone out and clean at home. Some people like to keep leg bones for marrow or for the dog. If you don't have a long pack out and have enough people - it might not result in extra loads.

Around home when hunting whitetail - I can legally bone out a deer where it drops. But, I drag the damn thing out whole every time so I can age it some, and take it apart under more controlled conditions at home.

aion2come

WKR
Another factor is the bees. If you are in Colorado, once you open up the animal's hide, the bees will find you. They can be nasty ... fast! The less time between beginning and end the better.

cnelk

WKR
Time is a factor
Easier to handle w bone in
Weather is factor
Distance is a factor

Start killing a few elk and you'll find your way that works best

I ditch the bone. I refuse to carry out 10-20 extra pounds per load.

Thats just me.

Randy Newberg did a good video on it, as well as the weights. IIRC, an average bull elk rear leg bone weighs 8 lbs. His preference was to leave the bones in as the quarters carry much better, are easier to hang, and you end up with less meat waste.

He did state that if the hike out was particularly long and grueling they would bone them out to save the weight.

If you can remove the bones before rigor the meat with be tender, if not it can be tough, still great tasting. Thats where keeping on the bone is beneficial. Hanging for 24hrs minimum and letting the meat relax it will be go back to being soft. If you pack it out and dry age it for a week or two on the bone, now we're talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
inedible? Nobody has mentioned marrow bones yet. Plus being able to do braised shoulders, shanks, etc. Some of the tastiest parts of the animal.

Owenst7

WKR
I prefer osso buco to backstrap. Leaving the marrow bones is leaving my favorite cuts in the field.

There's 80 lbs of flavor in that 8 lbs of bone.

MIKEYB

WKR
Bone broth is growing in popularity also, as said above many factors involved. All based on situational analysis.

I prefer to leave the bone in for all the reasons stated. Less waste, cleaner, easier to hang and cool, easier to process, easier to pack. A boned out bull creates more work than its worth IMHO. The extra 8 lbs of bone wont make the pack suck any less, but it will make the processing much easier.

Stid2677

WKR
Also, boned out meat is like trying to pack JELLO, it just keeps oozing out between the straps. Quarters are much easier to keep secure in a pack and also easier to keep cool.

Depends how far in. Less than two miles in alright terrain Im okay with bone in. Further or bad terrain and I bone out.

I always allow my meat to age on the bone if at all possible.

Here is an article about cold shortening and the processes that meat goes though after slaughter:
LEC13

My dad has a PhD in meat science and worked in the meat packing industry and he would never de-bone anything. It can have a big impact on finished product.

Last edited:

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so maybe I ate too much for lunch but that was way tough to follow (intended). I will take your Dad's PHD as gospel. I personally always left the bone in because it is easier to pack and easier to hang. The loins, and burger meat are like packing jello.

I always allow my meat to age on the bone if at all possible.

Here is an article about cold shortening and the processes that meat goes though after slaughter:
LEC13

My dad has a Phd in meat science and worked in the meat packing industry and he would never de-bone anything. It can have a big impact on finished product.

Trial153

WKR
The hinds i leave the femur, unless i am packing to where it will hang then i leave tib and fib as well. The sholders i bone out except for the humerus, again unless i am going to pack it to where will hang it ..then the radius stays also. The neck gets boned out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I leave the bones in whenever possible, and only fully bone-out quarters when absolutely necessary.

wyodan

WKR
I like to leave the bone in because of the structure. I think it carries way better with the bone in. With elk, I'm probably only going to carry one quarter with some misc meat, bone in or bone out. So the little extra weight with bone in doesn't bother me. With deer, I will turn one down, and one up for an even distribution. I also agree with the others regarding less waste, cleaner, and easier to hang.

wyodan

WKR
Randy Newberg did a good video on it, as well as the weights. IIRC, an average bull elk rear leg bone weighs 8 lbs. His preference was to leave the bones in as the quarters carry much better, are easier to hang, and you end up with less meat waste.

He did state that if the hike out was particularly long and grueling they would bone them out to save the weight.

Is he talking only the femur, or the entire rear leg bones. I don't feel like the femur by itself is 8 lbs, but I haven't ever done any measuring to prove otherwise.