Evidence of sex naturally attached in Colorado

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So what is the deal with getting your elk back to camp and having a set of the boys (testicles or penis) with your quarters if you kill a bull and have a tag for a bull. I always thought you never wanted the boys near the stuff that you might be eating. Why can't you save the head with or without horns (depending on your tag) without contaminating the meat by putting the boys in the meat bag until I get back and start to butcher it. I must admit I am probably over thinking this but seems kinda silly. If I got this wrong help me understand and be gentle on me.

HookUp

WKR
Stupidest game rule in the book. Yes, keep the nuts attached to the meat. Clears up any suspicion you shot a bull cut only its head off, then proceeded to shoot a cow for the meat.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really no big deal leave patch of hair with nut sack on one hind until transported other than a few extra hairs to cleanup poses no issue but accidentally cut it off and could result in a ticket.

Jbehredt

WKR
Really blow your mind to find out what a “rocky mtn oyster” is. The boys aren’t refuse to some.....

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can leave the skin less testicle attached and ditch the penis and all hair so you don’t really have any contaminants, I can’t think of any concern to the meat from a hairless testicle along for the ride and haven’t had any issues myself.

The concern is it truly does nothing to verify the sex of the animal that cleaner, more appropriate means doesn’t do better. Do they truly believe people will kill two to tag one? Dumbest rule in the books. And, they will write you a ticket. And, they call us hillbillies. We are at least smart enough to remove anything that could taint our meat. I know it would only be a couple drops of piss. Let the cook tell you that about your ribeye then.

It’s a dumb law that serves zero purpose except to allow Colorado to generate revenue.

LostArra

WKR
I would think that proof of sex has more to do with having a cow tag but shooting a bull.

Having it connected is the questionable part. In Wyoming, the G&F told us to put the udder in a zip lock bag.

TheTone

WKR
Its very easy to leave a skinned out testicle or piece of skinned shaft on a quarter, not to mention I would say the possibilities of meat taint are greatly exaggerated. I don't think it has anything to do with revenue generation and more to do with the type of things people try to pull off.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I generally debone everything so I usually just leave it attached to a chunk of meat and put it in a ziplock and then in the game bag. Could that be construed wrongly by an officer? I'm sure.....ya. But I'm willing to take my chances. I have unintentionally while deboning gone to work and when done looked down and said "oh crap"......."forgot to leave it attached". Stuff happens.

bz_711

WKR
It makes me think how each time...we'll slice the junk off as we're loading meat onto ice for the ride home...and I'll keep it all handy until I cross the CO border just in case...always laugh when I pitch elk balls into a gas station trash in Western KS and it's usually 90+ degrees...I'm sure the flies are thick by end of the day:)

wytx

WKR
The concern is it truly does nothing to verify the sex of the animal that cleaner, more appropriate means doesn’t do better. Do they truly believe people will kill two to tag one? Dumbest rule in the books. And, they will write you a ticket. And, they call us hillbillies. We are at least smart enough to remove anything that could taint our meat. I know it would only be a couple drops of piss. Let the cook tell you that about your ribeye then.

It’s a dumb law that serves zero purpose except to allow Colorado to generate revenue.

Ain't no pee coming out of those testicles so don't sweat it.

Poser

WKR
Skin the ball sack and leave a single skinless ball attached. While the reg seems archaic and unnecessary, this approach makes it not enough of a hassle to start internet threads complaining about it.

sndmn11

WKR
For those of you that are worried about accidentally nipping something off, there is no reason why you can't split the sack/udder and have the goal of two evidence of sex pieces.

MtnCam

FNG
HA! Some of these responses are kinda funny.

The thing to keep in mind when considering laws is to not put your sense of morals or good judgment into the creation of those laws. I would assume that the majority of us would only shoot what we are allotted by the tag we purchased or drew. However, there are those individuals who would shoot a bull, buck, etc. for the antlers and then turn around and blast a cow due to less testosterone in the meat and a possible difference in flavor and tenderness. And there are probably more of those types of people around that you would think.

With leaving evidence of sex and contamination. If an animal is killed via a lung/heart shot there will be a greater chance of contamination from a misplaced knife cut around the bladder, gall bladder, stomach/intestines, etc. than a skinned out testicle or a little portion of labia on a cow. I personally would not leave an attached penis to the carcass. Also consider that the animals is being skinned/quartered on the ground and the meat is being exposed to hair, flies, our dirty hands, etc.

Granted, all of this is like locks on a gate. It will only keep the honest people honest.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm still confused how folks think a skinned out testicle is a potential contamination (to then also need to wrap a bag around it)?

States like WY are easier in that you can just bag the evidence which just makes for faster cutting but aside from that I don't see much concern. I set out to leave evidence on both rears when I go to work in CO that way if there is a knife slip I have a backup evidence still connected. ;)