Evidence of sex naturally attached in Colorado

cnelk

WKR
Based on the dozens and dozens and dozens of elk we've pulled out of the woods, leaving the EOS on the hind quarter has been the least of our worries.

And I can tell you for fact, that when/if the CPW officer stops in your camp or on a road, they will definitely ask for the the quarter that has EOS, right after they inspect your license.

If you dont want to screw around with the twig & berries / teats on a hind quarter, you can always leave the head naturally attached to a front quarter.

Choose wisely :)

Poser

WKR
Based on the dozens and dozens and dozens of elk we've pulled out of the woods, leaving the EOS on the hind quarter has been the least of our worries.

And I can tell you for fact, that when/if the CPW officer stops in your camp or on a road, they will definitely ask for the the quarter that has EOS, right after they inspect your license.

If you dont want to screw around with the twig & berries / teats on a hind quarter, you can always leave the head naturally attached to a front quarter.

What happens if it turns out to be the rare cow with antlers?

cnelk

WKR
What happens if it turns out to be the rare cow with antlers?

Since you probably killed the elk presuming it was a bull...You are required to bring the head w/ antlers out - Pg 33 of the Regs

If it was an Either Sex tag, the choice is yours what to do. But I dont think that will ever be an issue

cnelk

WKR
cnelk, can you show off your satchel you had made? ;)

Sure thing Lark :)

This is where I keep all my elk ivory -

Vrp4qEp.jpg

boom

WKR
there is not much holding on a testicle. some plumbing.

i would just go overboard and leave the frank and beans..just cut a wide swatch around the area. i wish i had these kinds of problems. :)

Beendare

WKR
I put mine in a zip lock bag.

Yep, easy.

I reglove a couple times too......I don't want to grab that musky hide....and then grab a big clean backstrap with musky latex gloves.

I have a certain satisfaction knowing my meat is perfectly clean, seems to me some guys don't care.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just to make sure I understand what you'll are saying, if I have killed a nice bull elk and a CPW Officer (Barney) stops by my camp and sees the horns he will still want to see the EOS connected to some meat in one of my coolers?

cnelk

WKR
Just to make sure I understand what you'll are saying, if I have killed a nice bull elk and a CPW Officer (Barney) stops by my camp and sees the horns he will still want to see the EOS connected to some meat in one of my coolers?

Page 15 of the Regs

This must be somewhat new I had to look it up, you used to have to leave sex attached wy. Never tried elk nuts but bighorn sheep are delicious, the original rock mnt oyster
QUOTE=pods8;952113]I'm still confused how folks think a skinned out testicle is a potential contamination (to then also need to wrap a bag around it)?

States like WY are easier in that you can just bag the evidence which just makes for faster cutting but aside from that I don't see much concern. I set out to leave evidenc
edit: to add reg(b) In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the carcass, or edible portions thereof. e on both rears when I go to work in CO that way if there is a knife slip I have a backup evidence still connected. ;)[/QUOTE]

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I reglove a couple times too......I don't want to grab that musky hide....and then grab a big clean backstrap with musky latex gloves.

That's why I skin from the backbone down. The backstraps are the first meat off the elk and everything stays nice and clean. Then the evidence of sex is one of the last things that gets done.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
cnelk:

I got you, but the regs. also state that all portions must be transported together which isn't humanly possible when killed away from any sort of vehicular transportation. I assume that means once all of the meat is back to the vehicles for transportation and not when bringing it out of the field to your vehicle. Obviously, I will attempt to comply with all of the regs. as much as possible, but I have noted there are some areas in them that I think are a little bit silly. I am sure that they came as a result of someone who wasn't very ethical when taking game.

PS. Thanks to all for helping me understand this better and I appreciate all of the comments.

cnelk

WKR
Firehole

Transportation is a motor vehicle. Does not include horse, foot transport.

Also on Pg 15 is the Carcass Tags section which also covers transportation

I always carry a quart or gallon ziploc bag with me and a rubber band.. just put the goods inside while its still attached and it seems to keep most the hair and other stuff off of the meat.
So what is the deal with getting your elk back to camp and having a set of the boys (testicles or penis) with your quarters if you kill a bull and have a tag for a bull. I always thought you never wanted the boys near the stuff that you might be eating. Why can't you save the head with or without horns (depending on your tag) without contaminating the meat by putting the boys in the meat bag until I get back and start to butcher it. I must admit I am probably over thinking this but seems kinda silly. If I got this wrong help me understand and be gentle on me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
cnelk:

I got you, but the regs. also state that all portions must be transported together which isn't humanly possible when killed away from any sort of vehicular transportation. I assume that means once all of the meat is back to the vehicles for transportation and not when bringing it out of the field to your vehicle. Obviously, I will attempt to comply with all of the regs. as much as possible, but I have noted there are some areas in them that I think are a little bit silly. I am sure that they came as a result of someone who wasn't very ethical when taking game.

PS. Thanks to all for helping me understand this better and I appreciate all of the comments.

Imagine a camp of several folks, all with OTC bull tags. Jackoff shoots a bull, lops off the head, hangs the quarters in camp without evidence of sex attached. Next day, his buddy Lazyeye shots a cow. Mrs. Jackoff takes Mr. Jackoff's qarters home, and they hang Lazyeye's quarters in camp without evidence of sex. Next day, Skratnose sticks a cow cause those things are all over the place. Lazyeye's quarters go home, and Skrat's get hung up. I have heard the exact scenario over the radio more than once in a short law enforcement career, and I guarantee folks give it a try every year.

LostArra

WKR

I've wondered if the CWD hysteria will affect the regs and hauling around cervid heads.