Need recipe for elk tenderloins

Killed this guy Wed, rest of the meat is aging but the tenderloins are in the fridge. My first elk, need some serving suggestions that'll hook the wife and daughters so they want more elk in their diet. I don't wanna screw up the loins. Suggestions?

35298509_10216179507141482_8239821446579224576_n.jpg

In the past, We’ve always wrapped in bacon and what not...but the last few tenders were just lightly grilled with salt and pepper...nothing else.
Way better in my opinion to keep it simple with the tenderloins.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One way I like is to cut them up into bite sized chunks and then marinade them for at least 8 hours in high quality EVOO, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, and a little Montreal Steak seasoning. Then I pour the entire bag into a cast iron skillet with a little butter on HIGH......1.5-2 minutes. Melt in your mouth.

Just last night we grilled up some kabobs with tenderized prime sirloin in the same marinade.......awesome.

lif

WKR
Cut 6-8” lengths of the straps. Marinate in your favorite bbq sauce for 4-8 hours. Fire bbq up. Slight sear on each chunk of back strap then slow cook until medium rare. I also add some crushed garlic to the outside of meat about half way through cooking. You can add a little bbq sauce to meat as you cook if you like. After getting it to that 130-135 degree area, then take off and wrap in aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Do not cheat this step. After 20 minutes then slice 1/2” or less and serve. I prefer to slice like 1/4” and devour.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Marinade tenderloins?!!!!! You guys are nuts! Salt, pepper, cast iron on high heat. Rare!

I want to hear more about an elk in June?

amp713

WKR
Put them in a freezer ziplock bag, add your favorite steak seasoning, add a a small amount of worcheshershire (spelling may be off haha) sauce.

Get a pot and fill it full of water, get the water to 145 degrees.

Drop in the bag of meat and let sit for 2 hours or so.

This is redneck sous vide style. I've done back strap 2 times this week like this. It comes out delicious and tender.

Dont let your water temp get away from you.

You can also sear before serving if you want but I dont.

Edit: I do love it over a grill or on a cast iron but if you want fool proof sous vide is the way to go.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There no wrong way to do elk tenderlions except over cooked.
That bull has great fronts would have been impressive if the backs had developed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Salt, pepper, high heat, rare. Seriously those t-loins don’t need much help.

Only thing I would ever add to this, and then only sometimes, is to finish by reverse searing in cast iron and making a pan sauce.

Edit: spelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
AG voucher, comparable to a depredation hunt to prevent crop damage. The landowners want the bulls gone so the cows leave, there are 25 cows for every bull. I actually found the hunt here on rokslide. Going back for a second next month, hopefully getting a bigger one.

rayporter

WKR
salt and pepper and a dash of cavendars then drop cubes in a fry daddy for a few seconds each.

in the field wrap in bacon and then wrap in foil and put in coals.

or butter up a skillet and fry with some salt and pepper and a dash of cavendars.

once in the field we made k bobs with bacon and onion. they were great. I now carry a wire to do this all the time.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Maybe this is a dumb question but why would the cows leave if the bulls were gone? Bulls will travel from a long way to find cows. In my experience the bulls come to the cows, not the other way around. Too bad you weren’t able to shoot him in August, that bull would have looked ty different!

If you cook them in hunks, warm it a bit. If you cook it sliced, warm according to the slice thickness. When it comes to cooking, Olive oil, salt, and pepper, on as high heat as the olive oil will remain stable, and cook it fast. As said the ONLY way you can mess it up is over cook it. Don't do that. Once cooking, If I find it not stiffening up quick enough due to be too cold in the middle when I started cooking, I remove from heat once seared well on all sides and, wrap in foil for 7-8 minutes. Because if you don't you'll be forced to slow down the cooking process which is not good for low fat meat. Do that to save the dish. Or be certain to get it warm enough before cooking to allow it to reach rare in the middle once cooking fast. It sounds complicated but, it isn't. Use a thermometer if you got one. Don't be afraid of the salt either

Last edited:
Another favorite is too season and sear off in a cast iron skillet, wrap in bacon, then place in a 400 degree oven about 15 minutes per pound. YUMMY. Don't be afraid of the salt on wild game either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really cool bull and opportunity. I also don't really understand why the bulls would be keeping the cows around, but an elk tag is an elk tag.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Great job on the elk!

Salt, pepper, a bit of butter. Sous vide at 131* for an hour for a tenderloin, then sear.

Also a big fan of Hank Shaw's recipes. May want to look at a few of those for some additional ideas.