Need recipe for elk tenderloins

OP
Where's Bruce?
I don't pretend to understand the logic of it, just recognized the property owners want em dead and I was delighted to be of service. LOL Here's a side view.

35508703_10216191505161425_3843931876641210368_n.jpg

Anyone else interested in this kinda hunt should contact Cody with Gunnison Country Outfitters, he is knows as Ruttybull on RS: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/members/19309.html

Bulldawg

WKR
I don't pretend to understand the logic of it, just recognized the property owners want em dead and I was delighted to be of service. LOL Here's a side view.

35508703_10216191505161425_3843931876641210368_n.jpg

Anyone else interested in this kinda hunt should contact Cody with Gunnison Country Outfitters, he is knows as Ruttybull on RS: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/members/19309.html

Thanks Bruce but my tag is Bulldawg haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to marinate, maybe only soak one tender and cook the other one natural.
I hate the thought of marinating Elk tenderloins...but admittedly, 5mb’s recipe sounds good.

JP100

WKR
Step one- cook meat, medium rare or rare
Step two- eat meat

Pretty simple haha

A velvety bull like that would be unreal to eat, ive eaten one just at the stripping velvet stage and it was awesome, no recipe needed, just some salt and pepper and it will be better than any meat you can buy

OP
Where's Bruce?
I have been on a steady diet of bison and moose meat for some time but recognize each takes slightly different cooking times so I don't turn em into rubber. The elk seems leaner than moose or bison. I also think the taste of game is best left alone...simple. The salt and pepper seems logical. So when I flash fry em how thick and long should the cuts be and how long should it rest before eating? Thanks for all the suggestions gang!

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
There seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread between backstrap and tenderloins. Different cuts. Tenderloins are found under the ribs, towards the end of the animal. They are small and you only need a knife to get into the cavity to get them out by hand.

Backstraps. Found outside the ribcage, next to the spine. Much, much larger.

For me, keep the tenderloins simple. You won't regret it. Hot skillet. Salt, pepper, minced garlic, butter. Brown all around until medium-rare. Eat. The tenderloins are incredible on elk.

Best way I found for tenderloin is to cut into 2 inch long pieces, season, wrap in bacon, and grill. Don't overcook. Use sea salt, not table salt if you use salt. I found McCormick sea salt and garlic shakers (grinders) at my local grocery store. Works great.

Elk tenderloins marinated in olive oil, apple cider vinegar, rum, honey, soy, pepper, ginger, garlic & salt. I would gladly pay $90 for this meal if you asked me to pay afterwards at a restaurant based on flavor, texture and satisfaction.

Cut the meat about thumb thick. Use 1/3 cup (each) of soy, olive oil, honey, & cider vinegar. I always throw 1 or 2 shot of rum or bourbon in. Add spices (pepper, ginger, garlic & salt) to mix and stir in meat.

Marinate in fridge about 4 hours.

Get grill raging hot and flash grill each side just a couple minutes. I like the flames to char the outside if possible. Do not over cook. Leave rare (best) to medium rare.

Serve with brown rice, grilled asparagus and a good dark beer.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like to soak my duck, elk, and deer in salt water for at least 2-3 days. Drain and redo the salt water everyday. I like to run a piece of Conecuh sausage in the center of my deer and elk backstrap. Then I cut it into 1.5" thickness. Wrap with bacon and grill. Season and cook to your desired temp. Personally, I like mine medium.

My deer and elk tenderloin gets battered and fried. The flour is seasoned to taste.

There seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread between backstrap and tenderloins. Different cuts. Tenderloins are found under the ribs, towards the end of the animal. They are small and you only need a knife to get into the cavity to get them out by hand.

Backstraps. Found outside the ribcage, next to the spine. Much, much larger.

For me, keep the tenderloins simple. You won't regret it. Hot skillet. Salt, pepper, minced garlic, butter. Brown all around until medium-rare. Eat. The tenderloins are incredible on elk.

I'm pretty sure we all know where to find the tenderloin.

5MilesBack, that looks incredible.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Just flash fried one of the tenderloins. Salt, pepper and a wee touch of garlic in butter. Browned outside and rare inside. OMG! I think we had a tastegasm.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, you should grill it on a very hot grill for a short amount of time. Before the grill, rub it down with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt, cracked black pepper, maybe a dash of garlic and onion powder.

Reading about marinating elk steaks or tenderloins makes my eye twitch...right there with wrapping in bacon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Reading about marinating elk steaks or tenderloins makes my eye twitch...right there with wrapping in bacon.

Yes, it's an epicureal delight which affects several areas of the body.:cool:

Just yesterday I saw a professional chef on TV say "If you want extraordinary flavors to come out of your food, then you have to put extraordinary flavors into it".

Ive got no problem soaking chicken or pork in a marinade, I just can't make myself do it with primo cuts. Now, I don't mind a glaze, but I prefer to keep the majority of the meat tasting like meat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I prefer to keep the majority of the meat tasting like meat.

Oh, there's no way to get away from the taste of elk......it's still there. You just get the added bonus of several other flavors with it. It's like pheasant......alone it tastes like pheasant. But with a raspberry reduction sauce it tastes like incredible pheasant.

I've also been known to use pickled jalapeno juice in marinades, which gives the meat a real nice spiciness and flavor as well.

Brendan

WKR
My recipe is pat dry with a paper towel, coat in olive oil, then add salt & pepper or your rub of choice (Montreal Steak seasoning isn't bad). Grill medium high until rare-medium rare (3-5 minutes a side depending on the grill), let sit for 5 minutes wrapped in tinfoil. Cut and eat.

This might be heresy, but I prefer the backstraps to the tenderloins. Both texture and taste.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Just experimented with another loin. Didn't wanna wrap in bacon but then i had an idea and it worked just fine. Rocky Mountain elk tenderloin with garlic powder and Montreal seasoning flash fried to rare in bacon grease. Not bad.

36368577_10216285680395747_3254015567325036544_n.jpg