CO Unit 82, Looking for any info!

Hey all, This will be my first year elk hunting and I am looking at unit 82 Colorado. Looking for any info on where might be a good place to start for 3rd rifle season. I know it is steep and rough country. Not asking for anyone honey hole just a general area to start looking. Thanks!

sveltri

WKR
Honestly, I would look at another unit. There are not many elk, by 3rd rifle most will be on private land.

OP
Shimmybro3
What other unit would you suggest? I am looking to stay in that general area of colorado?

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
What other unit would you suggest? I am looking to stay in that general area of colorado?
Please take the next hour and read the Thread that Squirrels referenced.
After that spend the next few months getting several gameplans together based off what the elk are doing during that part of the season, prior success rates, your expectations, your physical abilities, historical weather conditions, etc. Finally contact the local Wildlife guys and get their 2 cents. Best of luck.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

grizze59

FNG
Area 82 info

Hey all, This will be my first year elk hunting nd I am looking at unit 82 Colorado. Looking for any info on where might be a good place to start for 3rd rifle season. I know it is steep and rough country. Not asking for anyone honey hole just a general area to start looking. Thanks!
. I hunted that area for many years. It all depends on how much snow they get the more snow the better. I used to hint 4 th season. When you get to Villa Grove turn left take that main dirt road before little store on on left. Drive until you come to the left turn I believe it’s over the cattle guard. It will take you on a road that runs into private turn right following fence line then follow that road it’s a rocky bumpy road the Elk will be in the mountains off to your right usually high on any of those mountains. I’ve killed several Elk on the first or second turn off to right you can drive up to Aspens park and hike the canyon from there it’s easier walking watch tree lines up high. Only bad thing about this area is if there is no snow the Elk don’t show up if there is you will get into them sometimes they come from the West migrate to the East across those fields and it can get Exciting. I liked 4 Elk on that mountain I gave you instructions on. It’s all down hill if you shoot one I’ve dragged a full sized Elk by myself down that mountain on the snow took me like 6 hours to get off mountain I could only go 10 to 20 yards a pull. Anyway good luck

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
Plan on sharing that area with 20-30 amish that come up from the valley too.
Not to mention the thousands of people from internet land that will be going there now...

. I hunted that area for many years. It all depends on how much snow they get the more snow the better. I used to hint 4 th season. When you get to Villa Grove turn left take that main dirt road before little store on on left. Drive until you come to the left turn I believe it’s over the cattle guard. It will take you on a road that runs into private turn right following fence line then follow that road it’s a rocky bumpy road the Elk will be in the mountains off to your right usually high on any of those mountains. I’ve killed several Elk on the first or second turn off to right you can drive up to Aspens park and hike the canyon from there it’s easier walking watch tree lines up high. Only bad thing about this area is if there is no snow the Elk don’t show up if there is you will get into them sometimes they come from the West migrate to the East across those fields and it can get Exciting. I liked 4 Elk on that mountain I gave you instructions on. It’s all down hill if you shoot one I’ve dragged a full sized Elk by myself down that mountain on the snow took me like 6 hours to get off mountain I could only go 10 to 20 yards a pull. Anyway good luck

There are a couple of things I feel really stupid about now. First and foremost is trying to defend people and, what they share on the internet. I sure hope you were joshing and, I sure hope that no one else hunts that area if you weren't. Because you just ruined it. For a LONG, LONG, LONG, time. That kind of bravo don't win you cool points. SMH. Save that stuff for private rely's

It’s really frustrating when you’re minding your own business trying to scout a unit to hunt this year, then people post exact directions about how to hunt areas close to where you’ve been scouting. Sigh. Glad I burned all that gas last weekend for nothing.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
He has 2 posts and this is how he contributes ??? F-in idiot.

Apparently Bucky's Travel Center and Wal-Mart reads Rokslide Forum too because they are building a new travel center there in anticipation of all the hunter traffic that will be coming soon.

Last edited:

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
MAN, some things need to be left for PM's ... I don't even live in Colorado and posting exact directions really bothers me, yes it's public land for all to use, but really, keep it to a PM if at all... That being said OP do all the online research you can, nothing will compare to boots on the ground and its by far so much more rewarding researching/scouting, getting into elk, and giving them a dirt nap all on your own. Just get a tag and get out there regardless of where you end up. Its a constant learning experience, this year I ate my $650 tag soup, happily - why? because I learned a lot and realized my mistakes that I have to work on. Also I now realize what everyone was telling me " the elk are where they are". I put many miles on thinking " wow look at this basin there has got to be herds of elk living here... didn't see one, when i did find them...They were all within a mile from the highway! All I could do was laugh. With all that being said, don't get overly hung up in which "unit" and where to "go". There is elk in every unit. My best advice to picking a unit is to be 100% realistic with yourself and start researching on a topo map that you are physically in shape to be able to handle the units terrain, sometimes topo just doesn't do them mountains justice! Pick a unit, go hunt, have a good time - make memories and most importantly have fun!

I archery hunted there last year after ML, thought I'd time the moon and have things in my favor so to speak, never heard a bull bugle. I saw 2 cows and a few dead elk the black powder hunters had killed, but the foot traffic was absolutely off the chart. More foot traffic I've ever encountered in my years of elk hunting.

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I just spent over a grand to fly out to Colorado and then rent a car for a week to do some scouting with my son before he left for the military, where was this post two weeks ago.

SoDaky

WKR
I get the disgust evident here about divulging specific info but does anyone else detect the irony and a tad of hypocrisy on this issue?By and large the 'community' endorses and praises Youtubers etc that urge the 'public' to 'come on out,anyone can do this' and also supports companies that sell tactics/gear and even VERY specific maps on where,how and when?Info right down to roads,campsites,access spots,yet we T off on an individual here.
If your eyes are open,and you are upset about 'creep' now,god help you and the 'public' lands in the future.