Colorado GMU 751

Anyone have any links associated with a closure of 751? This thread is a few weeks old but I am finding nothing on closure of 751.

sasquatch

WKR
Here is my take on it for what it's worth. I've only hunted out there 2 times, different unit in the south west part of the state. Being from Texas you are not used to the altitude, it is going to kick your butt the first few days. I'm from Michigan so it's not much different. Steep terrain, altitude change, and overweight are not a good combination for packing 5 miles. I would say there is no way he'll make it that far with a loaded pack if there is much altitude gain. In 2015 we did our first back pack hunt. The first day we gained about 2500 feet in 2.5 miles with a 70lb pack and it kicked our ass! I worked out for a year and was probably in the best shape I had been in since my military days, I was 45 though and thought I was ready.

Possibly find an area you can gain altitude with a vehicle and plan on only packing a mile or two. Take it slow the first few days and get acclimated. Read everything you can. Start working out now if you haven't already. Take breaks, enjoy the scenery, and have fun. It's a big learning curve.

I can second this info. I’m in good shape, and stay active all year. I live in New Orleans area, so below sea level really. My first elk hut was in the gunnison area of Colorado at the age of 27. I did a 5 mile pack in and it was tough. I can try and explain what the altitude and steepness takes to concur, especially upon arrival.

It took me 6 hours to pack in 5 miles. A few days later I headed to truck for more gear as I didn’t fully carry everything Incase the area was a bust. But a few days alater after adjusting it took me 3hrs. Cut the time in half with just acclimation. I let some cows pass and almost killed a bull twice. Two diff days. The setups just didn’t pan out.

Idk wth I would’ve done if I did kill one with what it took to pack in just hunt gear. But I made friends with everyone I saw that had horses tho if I needed Cuz in foot it’d be tough.

I’ve since packed out 3 bulls in other states on less steep ground and half the distance, and I’m here to tell you it’s a JOB you can’t appreciate till you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any links associated with a closure of 751? This thread is a few weeks old but I am finding nothing on closure of 751.

No closures that I am aware of. Was out yesterday scouting so hopefully it isn’t closed!

njdoxie

WKR
I would like to see your writeup, should be interesting.

For those who are coming out to 751, the forest service will be doing a prescribed burn in 751, south of highway 160. From Sauls Creek to Yellow Jacket.

OP
D

dpaine84

FNG
Yes we are still planning on it. I got my tag last week, and even though my plans have changed slightly we are looking forward to it.

Dpaine84,

When you get out here let me know and I can get you some info to help you out. I live, work, and play in 751.

Tank76

FNG
I’m from the Alabama Gulf Coast, it doesn’t get much flatter! I’ve hunted Co the last two years and have been lucky enough to fill my tag both years. My first year I was worried about fitness, altitude, gear, water and the list goes on. My advice is get in as good as shape as you can and go hunt. Everyone has a different level of physical fitness and mental fortitude. I quickly found out that mental toughness and WANT TO were the bigger atttributes needed to be successful. I’d also recommend using the Co hunt planning service. I’ve called multiple and received a good bit of info each call.

Matt G.

WKR
I will be there on friday for at least 7 days. I can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk