Bear situation around Philipsburg/Deer Lodge...

mossyhorn

FNG
I'll be hunting Montana for the first time this fall during archery season and am leaning toward this area to try to hunt. I've already talked with a biologist from region 2 and he said that it's not heavily populated with grizzlies. He said, be mindful of them, however you'd most likely not even see one.

Can anyone back this up? We're also going to be road camping, no back packing in.

Also, off topic, but does anyone know of a good butcher/meat locker in the area? We're planning on going for 10-12 days. If someone gets one down early and it's hot, we'll need to take it into a locker. Possibly even look at it getting cut/wrapped/frozen.

Thanks!

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted this area (mainly around Deerlodge) quite heavily. Not seen a single bear but, found tracks so, I know there are some around. Just use the appropriate precautions.

I would ordinarily refer you to this guy below for the meat but, there is a note on his website that last season he wasn't handling wild game. Unknown why. You might give him a call well ahead of your trip to ask if he's doing it this season. If not, he might be able to refer you to someone else.
Dan Chladek (406) 560-1819
Chladek Meats - Home

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
Just north of deer Lodge there was a lot of wolf activity. And we had mountain lion tracks in our boot prints. Not much bear sign..this was more towards Lincoln

The biologist is right- it's not really an established grizzly area, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be one or two in there. Keep a clean camp, pay attention to your surroundings, carry spray and/or sidearm and have a fun hunt.

Anywhere in Montana you'll find grizzly sign. But I've been hunting that area for 10 years and haven't seen one yet. Just tracks. I think the odds are minimal. But be prepared!

bsnedeker

WKR
Anywhere in Montana you'll find grizzly sign. But I've been hunting that area for 10 years and haven't seen one yet. Just tracks. I think the odds are minimal. But be prepared!

I'm also a bit curious about this as I will be hunting in this general area as well during late archery season and backpacking in SOLO. My big question: do you get up early in the AM before sunrise to start hiking to your spots and risk scaring a bear, or do you wait until the sun is up? Conventional wisdom says you should wait until light but then you are losing a couple of hours of hunting that day!

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also a bit curious about this as I will be hunting in this general area as well during late archery season and backpacking in SOLO. My big question: do you get up early in the AM before sunrise to start hiking to your spots and risk scaring a bear, or do you wait until the sun is up? Conventional wisdom says you should wait until light but then you are losing a couple of hours of hunting that day!

We hike in and out in the dark. Just a flashlight with green or red light. Never really worry a whole lot but, have spray and a sidearm with us whenever we hunt - archery or rifle. Doesn't matter. Just part of the game.

bsnedeker

WKR
We hike in and out in the dark. Just a flashlight with green or red light. Never really worry a whole lot but, have spray and a sidearm with us whenever we hunt - archery or rifle. Doesn't matter. Just part of the game.

Good to hear...that's my exact game-plan. I was listening to Todd Orr on Randy Newburg's podcast and he told his story and that he has basically decided to never walk in the dark in grizzly country again. I don't think I'd be pushing my luck either if I was that guy!

I wouldn't walk in everywhere in Montana in the dark. But the area your planning on hunting is pretty safe. That's how I always hunt. Get somewhere you can hear when it's dark and game on.

bsnedeker

WKR
I wouldn't walk in everywhere in Montana in the dark. But the area your planning on hunting is pretty safe. That's how I always hunt. Get somewhere you can hear when it's dark and game on.

Funny story: My dad is from SW Montana originally and used to be a big elk and deer hunter. He's picked it back up in the last couple of years but he's pretty set on the idea of hunting within a few hundred yards of a road so we don't generally hunt together. Anyway, I was showing him one of the spots I have picked out on OnX and he looks at me and says "You know, that is the area I saw a huge grizzly track. We hiked in that morning, and on our way out we saw a HUGE grizzly track ON TOP of our tracks, so we never went back there!" Of course my mom is in the room and she starts freaking out about how I can't go there because it's too dangerous. Me: "Dad, when did this happen exactly? Was this last year when you were hunting?" Dad: "Oh, this was back in probably 1968 or '69. Me: "Well, I'm probably not going to worry about that then!"

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear...that's my exact game-plan. I was listening to Todd Orr on Randy Newburg's podcast and he told his story and that he has basically decided to never walk in the dark in grizzly country again. I don't think I'd be pushing my luck either if I was that guy!

Yeah - where he was, that area is thick with grizz. I would be extra cautious around there. Anyone that thinks grizz numbers are still too low, I'll point them to that trailhead and send them on their way with a "good luck".

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Thanks guys for the replies, really appreciate it. I’m really looking forward to this hunt and checking out some new country.