Archery Elk with Team of Three?

I have found 3 hunters to be ideal. 1 shooter 1 caller. The spare guy can either film the shooter, coach the shooter, or most commonly relay messages to the caller from the shooter as to what is going on. Another benefit is that 3 guys can pack out an elk all in 1 trip pretty easily, so long as everyone has a good pack and can do 80 lb.
Another thing is we rotate who does the locate bugling each day. We all sound different, and I feel the elk can recognize locator bugles from the day before. We locate more elk this way.
Three guys have their separate strengths. For instance, I can pinpoint where exactly a bugle came from better than the other 2. One guy has eagle eyes. One guys the navigator. So many advantages.

The hardest part is what was eluded to...finding 2 other quality guys that can hike, call, shoot, and keep their mouth shut lol

bmart2622

WKR
There's a big difference between this ^^^^ and what I posted above. Sure, plenty of guys to hunt with if you want. I've never really looked for someone else to hunt with. All the guys I know around here that bow hunt, hunt solo.
I believe you called it "chasing unicorns"

bmart2622

WKR
I hunt alone a lot too knowing it is less effective, but its better than not hunting. The right partner sure makes a big difference

Hunting unicorns lmao, wonder how the point creep is on that tag?! 😂😂😂

Id sure love to experience a scenario with 2 simultaneous bulls dying between 3 guys/gals someday!!

bmart2622

WKR
I always play the double scenario over in my head where me and my hunting buddy call in and kill 2 bulls from the same set up

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I believe you called it "chasing unicorns"

Yep, finding one perfect partner would be hard enough.......finding two.......yep chasing unicorns.

I hunted with a guy I know a few years ago for a couple days, we were both in the same unit and teamed up for a bit. The first thing I said to him was "let's hear your bugling". He sounded fairly decent so off we went. But the elk just didn't respond to his calling much at all. So ya, I would imagine that finding someone that thinks the same way, has the same mental game, physical abilities, AND the ability to make bulls go crazy.......that's asking a lot for even one partner, let alone two. If you've found that already, count your blessings. I'm not out there for a social engagement, so ya, I'm just a tad bit demanding.:)

bmart2622

WKR
Yeah, to each their own, Id rather have fun and enjoy the mountains and the experiences with a good buddy then be a self proclaimed "bull with an attitude" and be alone but thats just me.

pokorn28

FNG
As one of the fabled unicorns attending this hunt with FlyGuy, we appreciate everyone’s feedback.

While none of the three of us are expert elk hunters we are just trying to find a way to make it work. I’m certain that there are pros/cons in every encounter.

I know that myself and the other guy are definitely trying to get in ‘elk shape’. We are also working on calling, which my calls sound more like a wounded elk being attacked by wolves at this point, but I’m trying. I have hunted the past few years out west, but never overnight backpacking so I’m personally looking to learn and gain more knowledge in that realm hoping it will help me with my mule deer hunt in CO too.

There is another level of complexity to this hunt, which if FlyGuy so chooses to share he will. Involving another species located in one of the units we will be able to hunt.

All I’m getting at is if the general consensus is that we should all split up, hunting solo, each being left to our own devices, so be it.

It is encouraging to hear the mixed bag of responses where some have had success and others have not. In the words of Lloyd Christmas, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bmart2622

WKR
Heres my advice, hunt together, learn from each and every encounter and have fun. If you are looking for help with calling and set ups, the Elknut App is very much worth the couple bucks and very informative.

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found that early season bulls will frequently bugle from a safe distance, but fail to answer once you get in close. Leaving one guy back to bugle with the bull while the other two work in close to set up can be a deadly tactic. Sometimes the bull will just hear the hunters moving through the woods, and come to see if some cows have come to his bugles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yeah, to each their own, Id rather have fun and enjoy the mountains and the experiences with a good buddy then be a self proclaimed "bull with an attitude" and be alone but thats just me.

Yep, everyone has different goals out there. And actually I have a buddy that does come along at times. We started hunting together when we were 15......38 years ago. But he's not a bowhunter, and he's not a caller. But it's all good, as long as you enjoy it. There are many ways to kill an elk, but some are more enjoyable than others. Even when an encounter doesn't work out, I still have a blast.

ElkNut1

WKR
Idahohiker, yes I hunt with my Son in many cases or we will hunt solo at times. There are times we will hunt with 1-2 more guys so having 3-4 guys every now & then does happen. When this happens my Son & I do not bring our bows, we do the calling to help others we are hunting with. Rare is the case when there are 3 guys that we have two shooters, we like one shooter & two callers in many situations. We've used the triangle & rectangle approach but shy away from it these days as too many cows & spikes show first. We generally are targeting 5 or 6 point bulls so tailor our calling where odds are greater to bring bulls in first.

So much depends on the attitude of the elk we are hunting for that day. We will tailor our calling from aggressive to slow playing a particular bull, it all depends on their emotion in their sounds. We will generally call in 8 of 10 bulls we target to bowrange on our OTC hunts, it works well for us so we stick with it! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul