5 PPs.... Would ya shoot?

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
OTC - yes
Draw - no
Generally speaking, my OTC tags are for my freezer and my draw tags are for my wall.

Bulldawg

WKR
It depends and is very situational. It's a nice bull for sure, but if someone spent that many points on a tag they might consider holding out for a while. Every unit is different, some units might take more points because there is a higher ratio of larger bulls to smaller bulls. Some units may have just more elk/bulls in general although there may not be a ton of them there may be a lot more of them. Some areas may not have a ton of elk or a lot of big elk, but it might be easier terrain to navigate or find elk. So just because you burn points doesn't mean that there are going to be big giant bulls everywhere.

Another thing I see guys do, I've seen this happen to some guys that have a month long rifle season, they get nervous about not filling their tag and end up notching a tag on an animal that they may not had been expecting to just because they felt they weren't going to get another opportunity at an animal. Heck I watched a guy on opening day of Mtn Goat season go from wanting to shoot a big billy at the bottom of the mountain, half way saying he would shoot it if it was a BIG Nanny, to where we were within range and he said he was shooting a goat no matter what it was, and ended up shooting a 6 inch nanny on opening day. Now I think he did that because he didn't realize how steep those mountains are and didn't want to climb up there again. What I'm saying is people don't hold out enough and a lot of them go home disappointed in what they harvested on day 1 or 2, but if they killed that animal on day 6-7 they would have been totally happy with it because they know they worked really hard for it.

So I think that if you think you are going to get any additional opportunities then go ahead and pass and hopefully you can go back and find him later in the hunt if you need to, but if you are definitely afraid of not filling a tag, then fill it at the first opportunity that you get, because like some have said, if you do pass you will be running the chance that you won't fill that tag.

ckleeves

WKR
I think a lot depends on what your personal best already is. It’s pretty easy to pass up a bull like that if you have a few bigger then him. If he would be your biggest then the decision just got a whole lot harder no matter what unit a guy is in.

I know if I ever draw a premium elk tag in AZ or NV I’ll be “that guy” where a 360” is gonna be in serious danger where some guys wouldn’t look twice at him just because he would be my personal best. If that were to happen I can happily say I was successful on my biggest bull with zero regrets even though the unit may have much bigger bulls in it.

SWOHTR

WKR
I’ve yet to get one and if he presented a shot, yep I’d shoot. All day long. He’d be a great first bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk