Bugling

Will_m

WKR
For anybody with experience in NW MT, how is the bugling the first week of the season?

I don't hunt MT, but my guess is yes and no as in NM and CO. I'll explain no in a second. I've heard them bugle opening day in CO August, and I've got them screaming on opening day in NM.

They are talking. Now the no part for times we aren't hearing them. I learned in both states, that if you're not close enough, you will not hear them. I'm talking as close as 50-75 yards in the black timber. For several reasons. 1 the timber blocks the sound, and 2, they aren't always loud when talking to each other.

Encountered a herd of cow talking elk as they we're coming thru the timber and over the ridge. 30 yards before I heard then saw them.

Ya wanna know the funny part? The herd bull was leading the cows making cow sounds and leading the herd. I won't tell ya about the twig at 5 yards, and his vitals at 10. Let's just say, there was no blood on the arrow ;) point being, you will hear them if your close enough, and you listen hard enough ;)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nw mt can be very good to very quiet.....no rhyme or reason to it but can be very good. This would be the Idaho and Canada border around Libby to noxon trout creek area I am referencing

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Thanks for the responses... sounds about like anywhere else. I guess elk are just elk no matter where they are.