Diaphragm question; "Maverick" by Phelps compared to Bugling Bull's "The Closer"

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Diaphragm question; "Maverick" by Phelps compared to Bugling Bull's "The Closer"

Has anyone used both of these calls? I really like The Closer but always looking to try out new products and the Maverick is appealing (and Dirk frikken cracks me up). Does anyone know the frame sizes of either/both calls?

big44a4

WKR
Has anyone used both of these calls? I really like The Closer but always looking to try out new products and the Maverick is appealing (and Dirk frikken cracks me up). Does anyone know the frame sizes of either/both calls?

I have a white amp and feel it’s slightly larger than the closer. I prefer the amp and get better control out of it. Cant go wrong with either. I just find myself using the amp more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have not used closer but many of bugling bulls calls really like Corey’s new one last year and will be grabbing several got Dirks new reed and like it but likely will use Corey’s as number one the Contender....the diaphragms as you know so individual from one to another many times but always a good to check out new ones👊

Last edited:
OP
L

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Have not used closer but many of bugling bulls calls really like Corey’s new one last year and will be grabbing several got Dirks new reed and like it but likely will use Corey’s as number one the Contender....the diaphragms as you know so individual from one to another many times but always a good to check out new ones👊

So true. I really like the palate plate diaphragm calls from Bugling Bull; Closer, Mellow Yellow, Challenger, Raging Bull. Primos calls work well for me as well as the frame size is identical I believe. But...I am a sucker for latest and greatest. :cool:

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I had the grey and whites last year, I seemed to blow out the greys fairly quickly. Whites were loud.

Called Phelps yesterday and ordered up a couple Mavericks, Phelps signature, and smiths.
Smith is double latex
Phelps is close to the white but tighter
Maverick is thicker than Phelps.

Fairly sure I got this right, chime in if not!

DDAM

FNG
I’ve recently tried the Maverick. I liked it, and would’ve probably picked it for this season but as I put it on a white piece of paper after use, the red dye would come off and bleed onto the paper pinkish. I messaged Phelps about this and he told me the dye was safe. But, that still didn’t sit well with me so I went back to the Grey AMP diaphragm. Tried the black AMP but it didn’t work well for me, the grey AMP diaphragm just had a better fit for my mouth.

Thomas11

WKR
So has anyone tried the new tubes with the V.E.E.T system? I have an older tube by rocky mt- (bully bull), but thought about trying one of these?

Thomas11

WKR
The new tubes give more volume and resonate better, in my opinion.
So u say go with the VEET over the standard tube? I’m pretty loud and Volume doesn’t seem to be an issue for me. I need to improve my chuckling. I have the one inch opening tube and I’ve heard the bigger 1.5 and VEET help w back pressure

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with that. Don't think I'd spend $40 just to get the new one, but there is improved sound quality and control.

DDAM

FNG
I got the Wapiti whacker from Rocky Mountain, I do like it over the standard tube. Feels easier to bugle with larger mouth piece. Also, I like the rubber tip to dampen the potential noises when my gear accidentally hits it while walking. My rangefinder sometimes hits the bugle tube at the front and it would make an unnatural sound in the woods, so I thought it was worth it for the upgrade. My 2 cents

KSP277

WKR
So u say go with the VEET over the standard tube? I’m pretty loud and Volume doesn’t seem to be an issue for me. I need to improve my chuckling. I have the one inch opening tube and I’ve heard the bigger 1.5 and VEET help w back pressure

Wouldn’t a larger diameter create less back pressure? I’m no expert, my tube is a $4 wiffle bat so take that for what it’s worth.

Thomas11

WKR
Wouldn’t a larger diameter create less back pressure? I’m no expert, my tube is a $4 wiffle bat so take that for what it’s worth.

Well idk! Lol but that’s what I’ve read about the bigger tube. I think it has to do w being able to fit y mouth inside to tube vs on the outside

I picked up a Maverick a few months ago and it's my new favorite reed. There is a noticeable break in period, but once you get it broken in you can get some great sounds out of it.

I haven't tried the Closer so I can't compare the two, but I prefer the Maverick to the Rocky Mountain calls I have previously used like the Mistress, Raging Bull and Mellow Yellow. It's just easier for me to consistently get a good sound out of. Your results may vary, depending on what fits your palate.