Maps

CX5Ranch

WKR
Well we've narrowed our new area for this fall. I would really like to get some input on maps. I can read a topo map...but was wondering if there is a place that could print the terrain feature of Google earth. I really think that would be extremely easy to look at and see where I was at. I also know there are some neat GPS devices out there.

Huntstand has a promo for maps right now for like 50 bucks for a good size map around 2ft square roughly. I really never used maps before and would love some input

Cdpp880

WKR
You can build a map on mytopo where you have satellite and topo. They are not that expensive and can get them printed on waterproof paper or eliminated.

erle1139

FNG
Caltopo is good. You cap add points of interest and use different layers. I like the aerial photo with 40’ topo Line overlays. Save it as a PDF, send it to staples to get it printed and laminated.

xziang

WKR
2nd mytopo. Ive done this and if i recall it was a little quirky at first and took some time but end result worked great.

It's just dang hard beating the cheap USGS Quads. $8 on the USGS page. Also, aerial photo's are not fine for determining location. With any level of accuracy. Get a GPS with a chip and a paper map. Or, use your phone and download a mapping application with your paper maps and a Compass.

OP
CX5Ranch

CX5Ranch

WKR
I realize the aerial pic wouldn't help much. But I feel like the terrain feature would be extremely helpful. ???

And you're right mytopo has some cool features

Backyard

WKR
It's just dang hard beating the cheap USGS Quads. $8 on the USGS page. Also, aerial photo's are not fine for determining location. With any level of accuracy. Get a GPS with a chip and a paper map. Or, use your phone and download a mapping application with your paper maps and a Compass.

Correct, but for just a couple bucks (2) more you can get water proof, and say your area covers an area that would require 4 different quads in order to get the proper coverage, you can make a map that has just those corners and in one physical custom map. So 4 pieces of 4 different quad maps essentially.

No doubt. I assumed he needed topo maps of an area he is planning on hunting. Not a map of a particular area he is already hunting. Which means How else would he know the areas he needs to make maps for?

I'm not sure what you mean by the terrain feature helping after saying the aerial photo would not help much. So, let me say it this way. Aerial photo's do little for showing terrain. Yes, they will show features in the terrain. What they will not do is allow you to get a realistic idea of what the terrain is and, how to judge where you are at in it. Topo maps work due to the description of the topography they show the reader. Without that topography, it is impossible to realistically tell where you are when looking at the map. With no topo lines to show the hollows, the ridges, the saddles, etc.... you are going to have a hard tie telling where you are at when looking at a aerial photo.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I get all my maps from Ed at game planner maps. He can make any map you want. Nice guy too. He'll talk to you about your map and makes sure you get what you want. Prints on waterproof paper, and can make your maps gps compatible with your phone. Best maps around, do yourself a favor and give him a call.