Rokslider input

I like the overall setup and the fact that the topics are so specific. It seems to get more likeminded people together and subdues the "pack" mentality of those who disagree with a topic or post.

The one thing I would think would work is having a way for pro writers and new writers a place to display their talents and somehow be compensated, essentially stealing them from magazines. Not sure if a pay per click or something could track the activity and pay accordingly. Could probably steal some good writers away from magazines. Maybe you have that and I missed it...only been here a week or so.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by RUTTIN
Semi live bowhunts. (or rifle and muzzleloader hunts for you other guys) are kind of cool too. It is like you are there on the hunt living the moment with them, from the good times to the bad times.

That is kind of like MIdwestern Whitetail does and they have seen A LOT of success with it. I watch it every Monday (when the new episodes come out). I understand that mountain is different, but I'm sure you/we could figure something out.

Also, keep in mind that you don't need to publish it while the hunt is going on. As long as the hunter (pro staff or plain old Rokslider) takes notes, some good pictures, and maybe a video or two, he or she can come home, put the words and pictures and videos together into a few installments and then publish it on the site over the course of a few days. We don't know the hunt happened a week or two ago unless the hunter tells us up front.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like the overall setup and the fact that the topics are so specific. It seems to get more likeminded people together and subdues the "pack" mentality of those who disagree with a topic or post.

The one thing I would think would work is having a way for pro writers and new writers a place to display their talents and somehow be compensated, essentially stealing them from magazines. Not sure if a pay per click or something could track the activity and pay accordingly. Could probably steal some good writers away from magazines. Maybe you have that and I missed it...only been here a week or so.
hey, head over to our General Discussion forum. At the top you'll see our submission guidelines. I've paid for a fair number of member articles this year and plan to continue if it's good content. Doesn't pay a lot but will take you n the wife out or buy some premium ammo or base layer

Slim Jim

WKR
I enjoy doing live hunts here on the Rok, especially when I hunt solo. It kind of helps to keep my head in the game when things are slow. I wouldn't ever ask for any funds or compensation because I have learned so much from other hunters on this site throughout the years. Kind of a way to give back. I'll be doing another live hunt at the end of this year and I can't wait!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Live hunts are good.
Mule deer project type stuff.
300 project type walk throughs with more details about the process.
Push up contests.
UTM coordinates for all rokstaff kills and anyone else that's feeling generous.

akearns82

FNG
We at Rokslide would like some input from you Roksliders. What do you want to see on Rokslide? What would you change? What would you keep?

We want to become the most informative back country hunting site on the web. We can't do that with out your help. So what say you!

It would be nice to have an app developed. I couldn't find one. Any talk of development?

Pro953

WKR
This one will likely be unpopular, and probably a no go due to the impact it would have on site traffic. My comment would be to kill the “general discussion” forum.

So many websites/forums blow up due to drama created in these areas. I know it falls into the if you don’t like or, don’t click on it. But when you use something like Tapatalk and see so many of the active threads are politics and unrelated drama it’s starts to have a impact.

If you want to start a thread and it does not fit hunting theme anywhere but the “general discussion” forum, maybe it’s better left unsaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This one will likely be unpopular, and probably a no go due to the impact it would have on site traffic. My comment would be to kill the “general discussion” forum.

So many websites/forums blow up due to drama created in these areas. I know it falls into the if you don’t like or, don’t click on it. But when you use something like Tapatalk and see so many of the active threads are politics and unrelated drama it’s starts to have a impact.

If you want to start a thread and it does not fit hunting theme anywhere but the “general discussion” forum, maybe it’s better left unsaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for your feedback! Sorta agree but it's also full of tons of hunting related info too. Probably the best compromise is to make sure we really moderate that forum as you're correct that a lot of divisive BS ends up on there. I'll make sure our staff/mods see your comment. Thanks!

But but but.... he started it
Seriously General is still needed and likely always will be.
Why?
There are some sub forums not yet available.
I remember getting into "Reloading"
I came on here and no sub menu for this. So I went to general and asked the question. Then I suggested the admins develop a sub menu for reloading as many hunters reload, especially those who like longer range shots, and use our own home brew. They did just that and now we have Reloading.
Rather than delete the General, maybe create a new ( just what you want right) sub cat titled, Any non back country topic. That way traffic for political, religious or harassing the Legend type topics can just show up there and not add the many topics to "General".
Or
You could provide a link for these types of discussions that would take the user right on over to Archery Talk
:)

Seems with this latest update the thread start date got lost on mobile. Once you click of course you can see when it started, but I liked it showing when it was started on the forum page. Seems old topics are drug up a good bit and at least for me I like knowing it was a thread started 2-5 years ago instead of something that was just posted.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Seems with this latest update the thread start date got lost on mobile. Once you click of course you can see when it started, but I liked it showing when it was started on the forum page. Seems old topics are drug up a good bit and at least for me I like knowing it was a thread started 2-5 years ago instead of something that was just posted.
I noticed it as well. Its on my to-do just haven't had time yet

Also if I hit the Rokslide home page, I'm always hit with a pop up page that takes me away saying I won something. That might be on my end, I don't know.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Also if I hit the Rokslide home page, I'm always hit with a pop up page that takes me away saying I won something. That might be on my end, I don't know.
We have a sign up to the newsletter popup on the homepage but that sounds like that's on your end. Time for a malware/virus scan.

I got your original request fixed. I need to do some styling on locked and closed threads but thats gonna have to wait till later.

Last edited:

GRUBECHA

FNG
Add more categories for species in the hunting forum section, would be nice to have a "Pigs" and "Exotics" section in addition to the others

Frankly I think RS already serves up the secret sauce and is doing a five star job. The content is great, the moderation is done in moderation and you actually listen to us. I suggested a rating system for members to help weed out the bad apples because there is a LOT OF COMMERCE taking place here. You guys implemented that idea very quickly. It seems to be off to a slow start but perhaps these things take time. Your overall responsiveness is amazing, any little concern or suggestion seems to get instant attention. I take my hat off to your folks, you are setting the forum decorum bar so high...other website owners need to charter a plane just to see it. Thanks for all you do.

ok.gif

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Frankly I think RS already serves up the secret sauce and is doing a five star job. The content is great, the moderation is done in moderation and you actually listen to us. I suggested a rating system for members to help weed out the bad apples because there is a LOT OF COMMERCE taking place here. You guys implemented that idea very quickly. It seems to be off to a slow start but perhaps these things take time. Your overall responsiveness is amazing, any little concern or suggestion seems to get instant attention. I take my hat off to your folks, you are setting the forum decorum bar so high...other website owners need to charter a plane just to see it. Thanks for all you do.

View attachment 281424
Thank you @Where's Bruce?

We're only half the equation, takes great members to make this place roll too.