Streamline the Classifieds?

kickemall

WKR
Since we're on the topic - I'm not sure of the best way to handle it but if you ttt your stuff everyday for a week and it hasn't sold then its probably time to drop the price. Maybe no bump ups unless its a price drop? I suspect anything of that type would be awfully hard to moderate though.

Murdy

WKR
Part of the problem is that people write bad titles. Frequently, I see an item I'm interested in and I click into it and its someone looking to buy. Sometimes titles are completely generic and don't describe what is for sale. Most important, a lot of titles for clothing and shoes do not mention the size. If people wrote titles that were descriptive and contained relevant info, it would be a lot easier to move through the classifieds.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
HAHA, this is like a Left/Righ debate

Like COlineman78 said, there is a lot more involved than people think.

I am going to install a google search plugin after the hunting season and I do have few other thing coming for better filering soon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Part of the problem is that people write bad titles. Frequently, I see an item I'm interested in and I click into it and its someone looking to buy.

Or worse yet.......I see something in the title and open it up and that item isn't even in the post. I hate it when people "delete" what they originally posted for sale, instead of just posting a SOLD next to it. At least then we could see what stuff is going for these days.

Randle

WKR
I also agree, but alot of time the sold is replacing the listed price so if you did not see the original post you don't know the what the price was. I sometimes wait to post an item for sale if some one is already trying to sell one. To me it is a courtesy.

Oh I like it the way it is . I buy more but that part of being a gear head.

nrh6.7

WKR
I like the way the classifieds work, but the only two things I would change would be the frequency a seller should be bumping their ads, and instead of posting 5 different ads back to back to back, just put it all in ONE ad and update as things sell.

I'm just glad this place exists to help me spend my money! :D

Felix40

WKR
I like it as is. I know how to use the search if theres a specific item i want. I also like being able to check for deals on any general items right in one spot. There are at least 4-5 items at any given time that I am watching for deals on. It would be a real pain to look for all those in 4-5 different places all the time.

I agree that there needs to be categories for items, ie: hunting bows: arrows, broadheads, quivers and arrow components: archery tools. It makes it easier to search.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
The problem with your statement is that there is no standardized format of posting. If you want to search for something specific, and you don't hit the keywords right on the money... you're screwed.

Guys use abbreviations and incorrect terminology, and half the time don't even enter the item type i.e. binoculars, spotting scope etc.

I like it as is. I know how to use the search if theres a specific item i want. I also like being able to check for deals on any general items right in one spot. There are at least 4-5 items at any given time that I am watching for deals on. It would be a real pain to look for all those in 4-5 different places all the time.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
Honestly, it's gotten so overwhelming at this point I'd almost like it to be it's own separate forum (not topic or anything; an entire separate forum). I know this would be a lot of work to do for Ryan, but there's getting to be 3 or 4 classifieds post post to every non-classified and it's hard to filter through them as I'm trying not to spend money right now. I use the "what's new" feature to see all the posts since I last logged on and it is just littered with classified posts.

Ryan, if you do decide to try and go this route and need some help cranking this out on a weekend and maybe writing/running some SQL scripts to try and preserve all the old data then let me know and I can try to make time this winter. It might also require some customization of the php code if you wanted them to use the same user tables; not sure.

This ◇◇◇◇◇

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s not going to change. But I am moving the search to a google search soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireFixer

FNG
If there is one change I'd like to see changed to the classified section it to separate WTB and actual for sale posts.

Squirrels

WKR
It’s not going to change. But I am moving the search to a google search soon.

Thank goodness. I’d hate to see this forum turn into AT. I hardly even visit that forum anymore unless it’s to post a classified add.

Brianb3

WKR
There should be a separate section for WTB or limited amount of TTT a guy can use on a post.

Thanks for the efforts Ryan

I would like to see the new posts list not include the classifieds. Maybe have new posts and new classifieds posts as separate buttons.

This post was started about 8 months ago and the classifieds are still the same. I guess it will stay the same. Personally I do most of my online classifieds shopping on Archery Talk because it is easier to navigate it. That is just a personal preference (not throwing any rocks) but I have bought stuff here before.