New Remington 700 adl's

JWP58

WKR
Anyone have first hand experience with these guns? I like the blind mag, and the price (looking to do a semi custom build). Are they accurate out of the box (6.5 kreed)?

Kinda torn between a T3, 700, or colt light rifle atm.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
My first build was off a base 700 7 rem mag adl. With a stock and trigger change, it was a great shooter. Not the lightest gun but a solid base. Now that I've moved on I currently have the action being worked and rebarreled for another project.

Melvin Forbes isn't long for this world, that colt light rifle will be hard to find parts.

700... do you get a Wednesday, Friday or Monday gun??

Tikkas may not all be 1/2 moa shooters, but plenty are.. 5 shot that is.

Plenty of aftermarket on the tikka now in 2018. Triggers are good, Timney 2 stage if you roll that way. Manners, McMillan, wildcat and AG composites.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone have first hand experience with these guns? I like the blind mag, and the price (looking to do a semi custom build). Are they accurate out of the box (6.5 kreed)?

Kinda torn between a T3, 700, or colt light rifle atm.

Only one of the last 8-9 Remington 700’s I’ve seen didn’t need work straight out of the box. The CLR is a long action only deal, if you are looking at 6.5 Creedmoor...

Easy choice- Tikka.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It if you’re looking for a “semi-custom”, you’ll probably be spending more money to get less than a Barret Fieldcraft.

Bought one last fall, bolt is nice and smooth, trigger needed work, and some bedding and barrel floating. It was pretty picky at first, but what it liked, it shot really good. It seems to have gotten less picky at about 75 rounds. First 3006 for me with a 24 inch barrel, liking the velocity, and made a quick shot at a bear this spring (without ear plugs) was surprised by the noise level being used to 20-22 inch stuff.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I JUST got one. A 700 308 ADL in stainless. Picked it up at my FFL on Wednesday. I bought it from Buds. Price was so low I had to give it a try. I actually got the SS version for cheaper than they were selling the base "blued" model. My last experience with Rem was bad (an 870 Express), but I have always liked 700s. My first shotgun, rimfire and centerfire rifles were Remingtons, so maybe a little nostalgia, plus I like the simple form and function of 700s. And, I didn't currently have one (or any other Rem products for that matter). So far, I have removed the included "package" scope and mounts (garbage!), taken it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together with Talleys and a Leupold VX1 3-9. The leupold just happens to be the only scope I have that isn’t currently mounted, and it has proven to be reliable enough to test this rifle. Like you, I'm going to use this as a base to build off of, and still be able to shoot it along the way. It will ultimately be getting the barrel shortened to 21", a trigger replacement, stock replacement, and different scope and mounts, maybe more as time goes on.
I was actually planning on posting a thread with some photos to show everything, as I was very curious what I will get with this rifle, and I thought others might be too. That will come in the next couple days after I shoot it.
So far, here are my thoughts on the rifle BEFORE SHOOTING IT. I'm actually impressed with the fit and finish. Tooling marks are minimal. Stock fit is very good, although the barrel is not free floated (this is intentional by Rem. there are obvious pressure points molded into the stock). As I said before, the scope and mounts are garbage. I'm going to put them on ebay for $10 and send them to some airsoft player who will hopefully love it. This rifle was very DIRTY out of the box. Dust all over the outside. Bore was really dirty too. It appears it was test fired, OR fired and sent back, then re-sold to me. Hopefully the former, not the latter. There was significant copper fouling, so this was not just machining residue. After cleaning the bore, the rifling appears sharp and uniform. All the scope mounting holes are drilled and tapped properly, and square with the bore. Trigger is OK. It is the Rem “X-Mark Pro”. But the ADL version is NOT adjustable. It is heavy, but I feel it’ll be usable. No noticeable creep and minimal over-travel. But the trigger WILL be getting replaced. The bare rifle weighs just over 6lbs 7ozs. Not a true lightweight, but not extremely heavy either. And that is with a 24” barrel.
This rifle looks and feels like it is put together way better than a comparable Savage or Ruger American, etc. We will see how it shoots.... If it is a turd I have a few other good proven hunting rifles, so this will be an interesting experiment/project.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
It if you’re looking for a “semi-custom”, you’ll probably be spending more money to get less than a Barret Fieldcraft.

^^^^ This.

In the modern era, you can get a Barrett or Christiansen and be a bunch of money and hassle ahead. These days the only reason to build a custom is just wanting to.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I've got to agree with Formid and hodgeman too. Unless, you are looking for a project, or want something you can shoot right away without dropping $1k+.

Or buy the Tikka for half the price of the Fieldcraft... Less refined and a little heavier but will hold its own in accuracy department. The two I have are boringly accurate and consistent with almost no fiddling. Factory stock, trigger, etc... Twist rates/mag length are questionable, but not really for my purposes.

And I still want a fieldcraft someday too :confused: