Looking for a new rifle... thoughts

Alright guys, I’m in the market for a new rifle.

I’ve already decided on chambering - 300 win mag. I want to shoot at stuff way out there... out there being 600-1000 yards. This isn’t going to be a target rifle though, I’m buying it to hunt with, so weight is a concern. On that note and before we go further - I’m not planning on shooting at animals beyond 600 or so yards. I want it to be capable of repeatable accuracy at that distance though, and I figure a “thousand yard rifle” would take that failure out of the equation. I’d like a muzzle brake as well. Price point for rifle alone is $1200 give or take a couple hundred. Stainless or cerakote.

Also a side note - what are people’s experiences having a sporter-ish weight barrel threaded? I’ll be honest - I’m a little scared to have it done at the risk of it being done wrong or robbing accuracy from an otherwise good barrel. I also realize that for what I want, a heavier barrel is likely going to be required.

My original thought was a CA in a Mesa or Ridgeline(since it’s on sale at Cabela’s). However, I don’t see many reviews of these rifles out there(not in 300 anyway). I’m sure they’re nice, and it seems like CA will stand behind them... but spending this much money I want to check all of my possibilities.

Remington. Yep, like I mentioned I want to check all my bases. If I went this route I’d be looking at a Sendero or AWR. Both would need a brake and a trigger. The sendero is definitely heavier than I want. The AWR doesn’t seem to have a heavy enough barrel. Most of the reviews I’ve seen on the sendero are from people who have an old one.

Browning XBolts - I have a few. I like them, but before they’re mentioned, I’m looking to try something different.

Tikkas - no. Their recent policy change is garbage. On top of that, I would need them to be threaded anyhow.

Savages - no. I have some and have nothing against them, but again, looking for something different.

Bergara - I’ve fondled a B14. For the price it seems so sweet. The reviews I’ve read are outstanding. However, I’m not sure the barrel is up to task - and with that said, it would also need to be threaded and cerakoted.

Weatherby - I’ve considered some of the vanguards. Some have the finish/brake options, however I’m not sure how I feel about the whole pencil barrel with a pressure point looking for a rifle that will do what I want.

Kimber - too much risk here.

Custom - not willing to spend the money or time.

I think that about exhausts my list.

Are there any rifles that I’m overlooking? In my position, what would you do?

Also, if I’m way off base on anything, please let me know. This is my first time looking at a rifle for this purpose. All I know is what I’ve read.

Mulga

FNG
How much weight will you allocate to this?

Long range done properly is an expensive game. For your budget second hand maybe a good option?

OP
J
Weight... I’d like to keep the rifle under 8.5 lbs. Obviously less is better, but 8.5 is my upper limit.

If I have to sacrifice some to hit budget I understand that. Everyone wants the best for their money, and that’s pretty much what I’m after too.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a good review on the Christians on Long range only. I think a post or two about them here too. Allegedly they’re great rifles.

Why don’t you sell a couple rigs and buy one you can get excited about? Fierce is another company to consider. I have one on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick-D

FNG
Don't fret to much about threading a sporter barrel. It's a simple and cheap job. Get a reputable smith to do it and you won't have any issues.

What's an a7 sako worth in the us? They are decent rifles.

WKR
Just got a few rigs ready for this fall. Chopped barrels to 18" and threaded them for a suppressor vs a loudener. Both were exceedingly accurate to 700 yards and recoil was very light. Both rigs weigh right at 8 pounds with 21 ounce scopes and heavy durable rings on them. They are very fun to shoot without hearing protection on and shoot hunting type bullets at high enough speeds to be effective well past 700 yards. One is a 6.5-06 and one is a 30-06.

For your application, I'd just go Tikka T3, add good rings and scope that has repeatable turrets on it. I'd probably look at either 30-06 or 6.5 creedmoor. Personally I'd just go creedmoor though in that category I somehow ended up with all 6.5x47 lapuas. Grab a rig that is fun to shoot and get proficient with it. For both those cartridges you could skip a loudener for sure. If you need one, they could still be threaded on there.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot almost every model of the Bergara rifles and have seen sub MOA accuracy with factory match ammo out of all of them.
I have worked up loads for a friends CA Ridgline in 300wm and we were able to get about 1/2MOA with Hornady 212gr ELD-x.

Not sure how you’re going to keep a 300 Win under 8.5 without a sporter barrel and only $1200.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I've had maybe 20-30 sporter and lightweight barrels threaded...never had an issue. Where I have had an issue, very consistently, is with factory threading. It's 50/50 good bad for me. So don't worry, thread away!

As you probably know, there is a way to very easily meet your numbers, but it's a Tikka super light. I've got one in 300 win mag. It's sub moa with every ammo I've put through it and weighs 6 lbs bare. Mine with a suppressor and scope weighs 8lbs. I kind of hate the gun, because it's as light as my custom rifles, basically as accurate, and cost 1/3 of the price. What a POS!!! In my opinion they're a level above Savage and Browning, both of which I also own and have owned.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bergara etc but you are stepping up bigly in price and maybe not going up all that much in performance.

Another good bet is a used custom rifle. Custom rifles rarely hold their value...they often sell for not all that much more than the barrel and action they are built with on, less the cost of the stock and gunsmithing.

Stainless is great. Cerokote is fine. But I actually don't think it really matters all that much in the end. Worth pointing out that if you find a blued rifle of your dreams, you can just use it for a few seasons until it needs cerokoting. Especially in colder climates, even when wet, blueing works fine. I've never rotted a blued gun in the lower 48, at least not in high altitude cold/wet hunting. In my experience most gun rot occurs after a rifle comes back the field, and is stuck in safe and forgotten about, while still a little damp, or most commonly, stuck in damp padded gun case and left at room temperature.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
You want the Tikka. I am not aware of what their "policy changes" are you speak to. Nor am I aware of any issues having a Tikka barrel threaded. But if you are looking for a weather resistant, light, factory rifle that performs far above its price point, a stainless t3x lw is what you want. My buddies shoots as good or better than my custom M700 and my semi custom Sako 85.

This is the obligatory post about 300wm Tikka's being neutered by an 11 twist barrel and short magazine length. Too many good rifles out there to settle on these items if you are specifically looking to buy a rifle to shoot "way out there".

Is 8.5 lbs the limit all up or bare rifle? I also agree that 8.5 lbs is pretty light all up to be ideal for shooting a 300wm that far. Can be done but will be tough to spot shots. You're going to need a light sporter weight rifle and probably be limited to lighter weight scope options that either don't have much magnification on the upper end (NF NXS Compact, SHV 3-10, SWFA 3-9) or don't have a track record of reliable tracking/holding zero (Name a typical LW hunting scope). Also might have to use Talley LW rings which i haven't personally had issues with but plenty of people have.

FLAK

WKR
Rem. 700 SPS stainless, Talley rings, Leupold 2.5x8-36. In 300 WM of course.
Mine weighs 8.09 lbs.

OXN939

WKR
I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in .300 WSM that is very similar to what you're describing. Fluted barrel, muzzle brake, 7.75 pounds, generally badass rifle. Definitely in my "never sell" locker. I had the brake added and noticed no discernible change in accuracy.

Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in .300 WSM that is very similar to what you're describing. Fluted barrel, muzzle brake, 7.75 pounds, generally badass rifle. Definitely in my "never sell" locker. I had the brake added and noticed no discernible change in accuracy.

Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

I have one of these as well but in 30-06, it is an excellent gun, had a lot of cool features for the $$$, jewels bolt, fluted barrel, good stock (not plastic), great accuracy.

How did you get yours to 7.75lbs though? Mine is 8lb 2oz with Talley lightweight low rings and a meopta meopro 3-9x40 scope, it would be pretty tough for me to lose ~6oz on it.

I’m partial to Weatherby rifles, IMO they are built better than most other factory options. Smoother actions, more machined steel parts, very accurate, good triggers, and good customer service. I have 4 Vanguards, but if I ever really get into long range hunting, I’d like to pick up one of these.

Weatherby | Vanguard Accuguard

Stainless fluted #3 contour barrel, it won’t have the pressure pad, Bell and Carlson stock, 8 lbs, and you can have a factory muzzle brake installed.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor #2 contour barrel with a Bell and Carlson stock, Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 scope in dual dovetail rings that comes in at 9 lbs all up. It’s very easy to shoot well and doesn’t feel heavy. My mountain rifle is a .30-06 Backcountry with a 2-7x33 Leupold that weighs 7.5 lbs scoped.

Any of the #2 contour barrels can be threaded for muzzle brakes, but they are going to be 9/16” rather than the standard 5/8”. If you plan to run a suppressor at some point, Dead Air makes a QD flash hider with that thread pattern.

I have one of these as well but in 30-06, it is an excellent gun, had a lot of cool features for the $$$, jewels bolt, fluted barrel, good stock (not plastic), great accuracy.

How did you get yours to 7.75lbs though? Mine is 8lb 2oz with Talley lightweight low rings and a meopta meopro 3-9x40 scope, it would be pretty tough for me to lose ~6oz on it.

Likely by being a short action, assuming they build different action lengths and not just shorten the bolt throw like Tikka does.

OXN939

WKR
Likely by being a short action, assuming they build different action lengths and not just shorten the bolt throw like Tikka does.

Exactly. This, chopping the barrel for a brake and a little bit of work on the stock. The .300 magnums are really just awesome rounds, every animal I've ever killed with this rifle has died in a similar manner to Niedemeyer's horse in "Animal House."

I’m partial to Weatherby rifles, IMO they are built better than most other factory options. Smoother actions, more machined steel parts, very accurate, good triggers, and good customer service. I have 4 Vanguards, but if I ever really get into long range hunting, I’d like to pick up one of these.

Weatherby | Vanguard Accuguard

Stainless fluted #3 contour barrel, it won’t have the pressure pad, Bell and Carlson stock, 8 lbs, and you can have a factory muzzle brake installed.

Anyone own or shot one of these? Seriously thinking about picking one up in .30-06.

Weatherby | Vanguard Wilderness

FLAK

WKR
I have a WBY Mk5 in 7mm WBY.. Smooth as glass action, great trigger.
Absolutely dead on the first shot. Starts stair stepping high left after that.
Free floated the barrel, tried different scopes, mounts, rings, pressure points,
different loads,
Nothing worked. I think it's the thin barrel. She's been a safe queen.

OXN939

WKR
I have a WBY Mk5 in 7mm WBY.. Smooth as glass action, great trigger.
Absolutely dead on the first shot. Starts stair stepping high left after that.
Free floated the barrel, tried different scopes, mounts, rings, pressure points,
different loads,
Nothing worked. I think it's the thin barrel. She's been a safe queen.

Yeah. I can deal with a heated barrel's POI wandering a little bit if the cold bore piece is there.

FLAK

WKR
It really scared me on a Aoudad hunt once. If the first shot wasn't dead on
the money I might have blew it (and I thought I had).
Follow up shot was over its back and the third shot I aimed up under its belly,
catching it in the left flank, found the bullet in the brisket.
I like ALL my shots to go where I aim.