Lead Free Ammunition

NDGuy

WKR
After listening to Randy Newberg's podcast on switching to lead free bullets, I think I may transition as well. Between hurting wildlife that ingests lead from carcasses and my only family I think it is a good reason to switch. With my baby daughter eating wild game more and more I want to ensure I am not risking her health.

Only thing is it about doubles my ammo price! What have you guys and gals been shooting that you have had good results with?

Anyone else making the switch?

I’ve shot the Federal Trophy Copper with good results. Other than that, it’s reloads for me.

I've shot trophy c's and ttsx's with adequate results.

As for the costs if you're not shooting ridiculous ranges federal came out last year or two years ago with a mono- poweshok bullet that was supposed to be economically priced for a mono. I want to say they were around 25 a box. it was their answer to more states and more people going to mono's. It's not a sexy bullet, not even a boat tail but for anything inside of 300 (or maybe more) it should work. I haven't looked to close into it though, would require more research on my end. Also if I'm shooting high dollar ammunition more often than not I'll spend most of my range time with economy rounds and fine tune with the stuff I intend to shoot as the hunt nears. I'm sure there's a million reasons not to do it this way but it's worked for me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hunt monos but I reload. I've been using the 145LRX (barnes) in my 7-08 & 280AI the last few years and have had solid success with it antelope thru elk. I keep the impact velocity over 2200fps and I do not shoot rear lungs with monos, I make that clear any time I talk of them.

I'm working with the 181gr hammer hunter in my 300wsm but those are even more expensive if you're concerned on cost and reload only.

Ive switched over to copper; partially because of the enviromental issuse, partially because I have to next year in CA.

Pods, can you elaborate on the lung aspect? Do you try to hit closer to the shoulder? I'm curious.
I keep the impact velocity over 2200fps and I do not shoot rear lungs with monos, I make that clear any time I talk of them.

I think I'm gonna give them another shot this year on most of my hunts. Like steelheadmike, partially cause we have to use them next year in California, partially because I may not have given them a fair shake in the past. I was running a heavier bullet in my 7-08 and didnt like the performance on a buck I shot at 400 yards. I'm gonna drop down to 120 grain and push them faster and see what happens.

Mulga

FNG
I'm using lead free more often these days, as with everything there are pros and cons for any application. The Barnes TTSX are bloody good performers all round. I would love to try others in comparison but there all expensive here in Australia nearly $2 a pill or 1/2 a cup of good barista made coffee!

My family refuses to eat anything shot with lead bullets. (Because last year, somebody ended up with some bullet fragments in their elk roast.)

I've switched to copper solids in both of my hunting rifles. I reload, and am using Hammer Bullets and Cutting Edge Bullets in my loads.

The ballistics coefficients on these bullets are quite high, but one issue that I've found is that the long, skinny, pointy shape of the bullets causes them to get stuck in my seating dies. I've ordered a new seating die from Forster. Hoping this will solve the problems.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pods, can you elaborate on the lung aspect? Do you try to hit closer to the shoulder? I'm curious.

Some folks have complained about mono performance and lost animals, usually it also comes out they hit rear lungs or at lower velocities. I keep the impact velocity on barnes bullets over ~2200fps and I don't shoot rear lungs and make that clear since everything I've shot with a mono has dropped within 30yd if not on the spot.

I personally go for the heart/arterial bundle/front lung zone. I don't want them dead on their feet for a while I want them to drop. Monos punch through whatever is in the way quite well while limiting meat loss to a 2-3" diameter path so even if you need to crowd or punch a shoulder depending on the animals position the meat loss is limited and there isn't any lead fragments to be concerned about (if that is on your mind at all). Between the heart/large blood vessels/front lungs in that zone plus the proximity of the spine/neck receiving shock there is a lot there that will take down an animal when you have a bullet you know will pass through that path reliably.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The ballistics coefficients on these bullets are quite high, but one issue that I've found is that the long, skinny, pointy shape of the bullets causes them to get stuck in my seating dies. I've ordered a new seating die from Forster. Hoping this will solve the problems.

Had that happen with the 181gr hammer hunters when I was loading up a load ladder and into the compressed loads. Those bullets are sleek and the parabolic shape on the hammers doesn't have much seating resistance. I need to finish my load work but my initial impression was good and looking forward to seeing the performance on game.

mtmuley

WKR
Had that happen with the 181gr hammer hunters when I was loading up a load ladder and into the compressed loads. Those bullets are sleek and the parabolic shape on the hammers doesn't have much seating resistance. I need to finish my load work but my initial impression was good and looking forward to seeing the performance on game.

Go to the Hammer forum. Good read on how the bullets did in Africa. mtmuley

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been reloading 165gr Barnes TTSX for my 30-06. Happy with the accuracy and performance on a bull elk at 330 yards (my only rifle kill).

Carlin59

WKR
For a factory load, the Hornady GMX superformance has worked well for me in several rifles. Very happy with the accuracy and terminal effects. Price is isn’t terrible compared to other premium loads, and if you keep an eye out it seems like Hornady has factory rebates or promos through Cabela’s/Bass Pro fairly regularly.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, below is a photo of a 165gr Barnes TTSX I recovered from a big hog. Went through bone. I’ve only recovered one bullet from a big game animal.

0fb0b8e53f2d7d9685b2ead6f8932fe2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
A quick list of copper or brass mono-metal bullet makers that I can think of off the top of my head:
I'll also note the design type, either mushroom, or petal fracture.

Barnes (mushroom)
Nosler (mushroom)
Hornady (mushroom)
Lapua (mushroom)
GS Custom (mushroom)
Peregrine (mushroom)
Woodleigh (dangerous game solids only)
Federal (mushroom, not available as component bullets)
Hammer (fracture)
Cutting edge (fracture)
Rhino (mushroom)
Copper Only Projectiles (mushroom, handgun bullets only AFAIK)
Aussie Copper Projectiles (mushroom)
Lehigh Defense (fracture)
Maker Bullets (mushroom)
General Bullet (mushroom, handgun mostly)

Thought some might want to see all of the options (that I am aware of). These are just the bullet makers except Federal who makes some of their own copper bullets, but doesn't offer them as component bullets. I don't have any experience with most of these. Barnes and Cutting Edge are all that I have used on game with good results.

Jeremy

Mulga

FNG
Here are a few more I found in a quick search.

RWS HIT and Evolution Green (Germany)
Fox Bullets (UK/Slovenia)
Lapua Naturalias (Finland)
Norma Eco Strike (Sweden)
Frontier Bullets (South Africa)
PEREGRINE Bullets (South Africa)
GSC (South Africa)
Rhino Bullets (South Africa)

Californian Certified Non-lead Ammunition list
Certified Nonlead Ammunition

WKR
Fortunately there is no forensic evidence that I have ever seen which links higher lead levels and eating game shot with bullets containing lead. You would think there would be a few thousand hunters with high levels of lead poisoning after 150 years of shooting critters with lead bullets. Yet I have never heard of the first one. I'll keep slinging Bergers, Lapuas, and Hornadys at stuff and my family keeps eating game and feeling great. Its all good but I think the non lead craze is perhaps a little overblown.

Fact Sheet on Lead in Venison

Second paragraph pretty much sums it up. Little or no evidence of danger from lead in venison.

Lead Ammunition Is Not a Health Threat to Humans | Hunt For Truth

And more contrary news. Lead poisoning from bullets = fake news.