Lead Free Ammunition

Mulga

FNG
Fortunately there is no forensic evidence that I have ever seen which links higher lead levels and eating game shot with bullets containing lead. You would think there would be a few thousand hunters with high levels of lead poisoning after 150 years of shooting critters with lead bullets. Yet I have never heard of the first one. I'll keep slinging Bergers, Lapuas, and Hornadys at stuff and my family keeps eating game and feeling great. Its all good but I think the non lead craze is perhaps a little overblown.

Fact Sheet on Lead in Venison

Second paragraph pretty much sums it up. Little or no evidence of danger from lead in venison.

Lead Ammunition Is Not a Health Threat to Humans | Hunt For Truth

And more contrary news. Lead poisoning from bullets = fake news.

I do see your point. However the difference between human and wildlife lead poisoning/consumption could be linked to the fact that we discard the blood shot tissue and guts as we don't see it as desirable to eat; this discarded product would likely contain the majority of lead fragments.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If someone wants to shoot non-lead bullets knock yourself out, but as 30338 wrote there is no non-biased, legitimate study which shows game shot with lead bullets causing higher lead levels in the people that eat it. Furthermore, when one looks at the vast majority of “studies” done on it, it becomes noticeable that quite a few were, or are supported by, or funded by, groups with an anti-hunting and anit-firearms bent.

It’s a bit interesting to me that hunters are falling for it so quick....

WKR
I do see your point. However the difference between human and wildlife lead poisoning/consumption could be linked to the fact that we discard the blood shot tissue and guts as we don't see it as desirable to eat; this discarded product would likely contain the majority of lead fragments.

The metallic lead used in lead ammunition even in a finely divided form, cannot, if ingested be absorbed directly into the body’s organs, tissues, blood & bone. For more information on pathways of exposure read more here .

Its fake news. Just name the one hunter, hunter's kid, or spouse who had to be treated for lead poisoning. I'll go grab another beer.

204guy

WKR
Yep monos are effective but the whole lead in meat thing is a complete non issue. Consider the fact that your ancestors likely ate off lead plates and drank from lead cups, yet you're here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mulga

FNG
The metallic lead used in lead ammunition even in a finely divided form, cannot, if ingested be absorbed directly into the body’s organs, tissues, blood & bone. For more information on pathways of exposure read more here .

Its fake news. Just name the one hunter, hunter's kid, or spouse who had to be treated for lead poisoning. I'll go grab another beer.

Comprehend what you like and sip your beer. But what I'm simply saying is that the lead is an issue for wildlife (mostly birds due to how they digest food, as they grind the lead finer in the gizzard) not for humans, so in part i'm agreeing with you.

But I disagree with you on the lead used in lead ammunition, it can cause lead poisoning. Eating lead shot a few times a year in a duck dinner wont poison you but prolonged exposure from it from working at an indoor range may do; its all about the circumstances.

Comprehend what you like and sip your beer. But what I'm simply saying is that the lead is an issue for wildlife (mostly birds due to how they digest food, as they grind the lead finer in the gizzard) not for humans, so in part i'm agreeing with you.

But I disagree with you on the lead used in lead ammunition, it can cause lead poisoning. Eating lead shot a few times a year in a duck dinner wont poison you but prolonged exposure from it from working at an indoor range may do; its all about the circumstances.

Nope, it's all about an effective method of absorption, i.e., the lead needs to be in an absorbable form. Your example provides two very different forms, and two very different (for a lack of a better term, administration methods; the latter like being injected into the blood stream.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting in a state area that required non-lead a couple of years back, (Ca.,) killed a buck with a 180 e-tip out of a 300 rum., not surprising the bullet passed thru and was not recovered, about 350 yard shot, buck basically dropped in his tracks, rolled down the slope a ways. Got some 124 grain hammer's to work up a load in the 26 Nosler, as of next years season, non lead will be required state wide, in Ca.
Mike

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a fan of copper and do not subscribe to the anti-lead group. As the choice is removed by law (California) more choices will be removed and this will be a tool of the ANTI. Hound hunting, trapping, baiting and access; the PNW and California have slowly assaulted and divided sportsmen. Regulation of ammunition is the end goal.

Form is spot on; look at a some of the charitable trust that sponsor these studies and where their money comes from and goes. It becomes pretty clear for me at that point.

-Tin Foil hat on.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I am also with the group here. Have you ever seen a competition precision shooter using lead free bullets? The are just not as accurate and do perform on game as I would like. Humans have been eating game shot with lead since the invention of gunpowder. I like to eat meat and do not want to have to shoot deer in the shoulder to drop them. These studies are bogus to begin with. Windmills in California will kill more birds in one year then lead has killed in gutpiles since it was invented. Check out the windmill studies with bird kills, that proves the anti's don't give a crap about bird deaths. They just want to make our ammo crappy and expensive.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Those are two vastly different things. Lead poisoning from indoor ranges without adequate ventilation is caused by aerosolized lead styphnate from primers, NOT lead projectiles. There are MASSIVE actual studies of solid lead from projectiles, and it does not cause increased lead levels.

You are being lead down a path that anti-hunting groups are laying for you. As stated- windmills cause MASSIVE deaths of birds of prey, yet there is no drive to remove them. I’m a little disappointed, though not surprised, that Randy Newburg has fallen for the lead ammunition boogeyman. There are reasons to shoot copper, but it isn’t because you are saving raptors or human health.

204guy

WKR
Don't know why anybody would question studies coming out of California that cause unnecessarily burdensome regulations on hunting and shooting. "I'm from the California govt. and I'm here to help", has got to rank a notch or two lower than the standard old "I'm from the govt. and I'm here to help".

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Concerns about lead are a personal choice (be it lead and human or also lead and the critters). Main thing I like is the penetration with controlled meat loss and complete effectiveness (in the way I use them on game). I only get so many tags a year but I've probably shot 20animals with them and as noted all either dropped on the spot (most of them) or went less than 30yd. Again its completely a personal choice but I'm not giving up anything in terms of performance for the hunting conditions I am in by shooting monos, some folks make it seem like its a handicap or something. I will absolutely say at extended long range where impact velocities are lower I would pick a different bullet but that isn't my hunting situation at this time.

slick

WKR
9ca9593ff64d6e68a26a05d8a4f74008.png

Last edited:

FLAK

WKR
Fortunately there is no forensic evidence that I have ever seen which links higher lead levels and eating game shot with bullets containing lead. You would think there would be a few thousand hunters with high levels of lead poisoning after 150 years of shooting critters with lead bullets. Yet I have never heard of the first one. I'll keep slinging Bergers, Lapuas, and Hornadys at stuff and my family keeps eating game and feeling great. Its all good but I think the non lead craze is perhaps a little overblown.

Fact Sheet on Lead in Venison

Second paragraph pretty much sums it up. Little or no evidence of danger from lead in venison.

Lead Ammunition Is Not a Health Threat to Humans | Hunt For Truth

And more contrary news. Lead poisoning from bullets = fake news.

x2, I'll stick with lead.

bsnedeker

WKR
Don't know why anybody would question studies coming out of California that cause unnecessarily burdensome regulations on hunting and shooting. "I'm from the California govt. and I'm here to help", has got to rank a notch or two lower than the standard old "I'm from the govt. and I'm here to help".

I'd recommend you give Newberg's podcast a listen. The guys doing that study were and are hunters and falconers. From their research there is absolutely no question that lead from gutpiles is killing raptors and scavengers. To simply disregard the study and make assumptions about bias because you don't like the results is a bit silly in my opinion.

Personally I've never used anything BUT lead-free ammunition so I'm having a very difficult time understanding where all the hate comes from as everything I've ever shot died extremely quickly.

204guy

WKR
How much do you shoot? Do any plinking with a 22 lately? Surely you were using leadfree. Just because someone is a "hunter" does not absolve them from having an agenda. Though I disagree %100 I've seen hunters that think plt is a fine idea. Monos are good hunting bullets for some. But they're inhibitavly expensive for practice. And they're simply inferior for long range shooting.

gbflyer

WKR
I have friends who guide for critters that bite. You bring big, soft nose bullets on their trips.

I’ve shot some monos. Seem to be fine. I think they’re great for the 3400 FPS super magnums especially up close where lead blows up.

Use whatever you want. No need to pit brother against brother arguing for either. It’s not required to be that way

204guy

WKR
Use whatever you want. No need to pit brother against brother arguing for either. It’s not required to be that way

Reading above it appears it will be required state wide in California in 2019? I've little fear of WY doing anything so stupid anytime soon but I'd keep my eye on the feds.

bsnedeker

WKR
Leland Brown: Oregon Outdoor Council. Employed by a ANTI organization to advocate for the regulation of ammunition.
Yeah, I just visited their website. If that group is anti hunting then so is every hunting group that I belong to.

Apparently you believe that every person who supports non lead ammunition is anti hunting, so it looks like a good percentage of rokslide must be anti hunting based on this forum alone!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk