270 saum

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
So I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking at a cast iron griddle and a older man just mentions cast iron cooks best. We joked about the China stamp on it and then I saw the targets he picked up. Conversation went to shooting and hunting. The man was saying that he had a big hand in designing the 270 rem short action ultra mag and was telling me all kinds of long rang me shooting stuff over my head like mirage, winds and heat making targets spiral up and to the side. I have no reason to doubt what he was saying. He was very assured in his 270saum rounds being the most accurate rounds for target shooting and bullets heavy and fast enough for any game.

Anyways he said through all of his research a short fat cartridge offers the most consistent burn rate and that even the 30 06 was too long a cartrige to have consisent burns.

I have never even heard of the 270 saum but was very intrigued after the conversation. After looking at the ballistics it seems that the 270 saum has at least 300 fps on most 6.5 creed loads.

Does anyone have experience with the 270 saum? Seems like it should be a round worth exploring. Can shoot heavier bullets than the 6.5 faster still with a short action.

On the down side factory ammo is very limited and expensive. Very intrigued though, very happy with my 308 but I would like to be able to have a little more and speed and that 308 is a tad heavy

ckleeves

WKR
If you really want a SAUM the 7mm would probably be the better choice. The lack of high BC bullets for the 270 kinda kills it. There are getting to be more options now but the 7mm offerings are way more prevalent.

My buddy built one for the 170 Bergers and didn’t get near the velocity he wanted out of it. Tore it apart and now the barrel is on my dads rifle chambered in 270 wsm.

If you get serious about it I think he still has the reamer and dies.

Edited to add: the 6.5 Saum is another one to look at. I think either the 7 or 6.5 are better options unless you’re really into .277 bullets.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never heard of the 270 SAUM either, but that doesn't mean anything. Lol. I love my 7 SAUM, though.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the first hand experience. I love to shoot and know more than your average guys but I am no expert.

My 308 has served me great, 308 savage hog hunter with varmit barrel but I would like a lighter flatter shooting rifle for the mountains.

Ideally I would like a relatively lightweight rifle that shoots a high bc bullet fast enough to consistently expand a non lead bullet at 400 yards.

Everything was pointing me towards the 300 win mag until I ran into that guy and he was telling me that longer cartridges will never burn as consistent as smaller fatter cartridges. Hence the inherent accuracy of a 308 over 30 06 argument.
I want the energy but damn I want to be as accurate as possible Nothing feels better than hitting exactly where you are aiming

N2TRKYS

WKR
My 7 SAUM is a Remington Model Seven SS with a factory 22" barrel. I'm shooting 160 grain Accubonds at 2960fps.

ckleeves

WKR
Appreciate the first hand experience. I love to shoot and know more than your average guys but I am no expert.

My 308 has served me great, 308 savage hog hunter with varmit barrel but I would like a lighter flatter shooting rifle for the mountains.

Ideally I would like a relatively lightweight rifle that shoots a high bc bullet fast enough to consistently expand a non lead bullet at 400 yards.

Everything was pointing me towards the 300 win mag until I ran into that guy and he was telling me that longer cartridges will never burn as consistent as smaller fatter cartridges. Hence the inherent accuracy of a 308 over 30 06 argument.
I want the energy but damn I want to be as accurate as possible Nothing feels better than hitting exactly where you are aiming

I’m not a gunsmith so take this for what it’s worth. There are plenty of longer cartridges that are very accurate. The 300 wm is certainly one. A well built 300wm is gonna kick the pants off a mediocre built wsm or Saum.

The 300 RUM is an accurate cartridge and look how long it is. Plenty of guys are able to find single digit ES with the longer cartridges.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I am certainly no expert that is why I wanted to bounce this around to those who know more than I.

I think the 300 win mag is probably in the sweet spot in looking for. I just didn't want to overlook any under the radar cartiges that have the performance I am looking for.

Apollo117

WKR
If you really want a SAUM the 7mm would probably be the better choice. The lack of high BC bullets for the 270 kinda kills it. There are getting to be more options now but the 7mm offerings are way more prevalent.

I agree. 7mm bullets are available in better weights and are readily available. A 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM would be my choice if you wanted a similar cartridge to the 270 SAUM. A 300 WSM wouldn't be far behind. 6.5 WSM or SAUM if you aren't trying to shoot elk out to 700 yards.

OP, you've got a good idea with the .300 WM. Maybe put a brake on it and call it good.

Are you sure it wasn't 270 WSM because a 270 SAUM would be a pretty pointless wildcat chambering.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
It was defiantly the SAUM. He had been working on these loads since the 80s or so and said they're really hard to find factory. He called them super duper rounds like it was something I should have known. It was defiantly an interesting encounter with an interesting guy. I have no reason to doubt what he was saying.

As far as the 300 win mag or any of the magnum cartridges, obviously the 300win mag is the round of choice for a lot of bear, moose, and elk hunters but can that cartridge also be used with lighter bullets to kill antelope or deer sized game without significant meat loss? Is there a catridge capable of that or is that more of a 2 rifle senario.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
*all while being capable of proper bullets performance at intermediate distances 300-450 yards or so while not blowing animals apart at 100. I know I'm asking pretty much for the one rifle for all scenarios.

ckleeves

WKR
It was defiantly the SAUM. He had been working on these loads since the 80s or so and said they're really hard to find factory. He called them super duper rounds like it was something I should have known. It was defiantly an interesting encounter with an interesting guy. I have no reason to doubt what he was saying.

As far as the 300 win mag or any of the magnum cartridges, obviously the 300win mag is the round of choice for a lot of bear, moose, and elk hunters but can that cartridge also be used with lighter bullets to kill antelope or deer sized game without significant meat loss? Is there a catridge capable of that or is that more of a 2 rifle senario.

He may have been a bit of a BS’er or he was really ahead of the times. The Saums didn’t come out until around 2000 iirc. He could have been wildcatting off the .404 I suppose that early. By hard to find he meant impossible, as far as I know the 270 Saum is a straight wildcat.

The 300wm is for sure overkill on antelope but with the right bullet and staying off the shoulders I don’t think it’s really going to cause an excessive amount of meat loss.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
So he said when rem came out with the 270 saum that it took him by suprise as he used to work on those rounds with mike walker and he never heard of them going into production. Pretty much said he had a legal battle with rem about it. He was talking to me about hunting the Gila and doing research for Jack Oconner, all of this unprovoked. I kind of just asked him where he shoots as I drive 1.5 hrs to blm. He said he shoots behind his house but helped develope a range the next town over he has lifetime membership to and then it all kind of just went on from there. My BS radar wasn't going off as much as I was scratching my head.

It was a wild encounter in the store followed by much googling of names and rounds and sources.

Yeah, 270 SAUM has never been a SAAMI chambering so factory super duper ammo is like unicorn farts. Sounds like an interesting conversation for sure.

ckleeves

WKR
The only thing that raises suspicions is the whole 270 Saum thing since as far as I know it was never Sammi approved or made by Remington.

Lol must have been typing at the same time as Wind Gypsy.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah it was wild, now im no long range shooter although I'd like to extend my range but what he was saying made me wish I had a notepad with me

elkguide

WKR
I have been shooting a .300 win Mag for 30 years on everything from coyotes to elk. (It ruins a coyote hide for sure!) As far as "overkill"..... I have never been able to figure out what is more dead than dead. Yes, if you hit a deer in the shoulder, a .300 WM will ruin some meat but most will. The .300Winny does have some recoil but if it doesn't bother you, it is an awesome cartridge. I have a lot of different rifles in cartridges from .243 - .300 including the Win Short Mags and yet with the "need" for a new rifle, I just bought a Cooper in...……….. yes .300 Win Mag.

(In case you are wondering how effective the old .300 Win Mag is, the Marines have just made the switch from .308 to .300 Win Mag for their sniper rifle shooters to use.)

ckleeves

WKR
Yeah, 270 SAUM has never been a SAAMI chambering so factory super duper ammo is like unicorn farts. Sounds like an interesting conversation for sure.

I do think the “Super Duper” would be a great wildcat name! I bet a 6.5 SD would sell like hot cakes right now.
^ look at that it even abbreviates nicely!