270 saum

have had those encounters, not to that extent, but your phone may be set up to record conversations,,,,just sayin.....

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
As far as the rifle making it to production I don't know he said when he heard about it and contacted rem they ended up sending him a rifle he said was junk and more than being upset about then putting "his" cartridge into a production rifle he was upset at how bad it was he said mike walker would have never sold that rifle.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I do think the “Super Duper” would be a great wildcat name! I bet a 6.5 SD would sell like hot cakes right now.
^ look at that it even abbreviates nicely!
Yeah he was saying there are still some folks who make the super duper barrels and the super duper rounds. I think he is shooting a straight custom gun in his super duper chamber. Either way i would like to shoot it

(In case you are wondering how effective the old .300 Win Mag is, the Marines have just made the switch from .308 to .300 Win Mag for their sniper rifle shooters to use.)

Marine sniper rifle cartridge choice is a pretty low bar as illustrated by how long they stuck with 7.62 haha!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Dang, I was getting excited about adding another rifle to the collection. Never knew about the .270 SAUM, guess there’s a reason. Unicorn farts.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to get you excited about unicorn farts, I was just trying to put some pieces together. I guess that kind of sums of this 270 saum rabbit hole. Unicorn farts, honestly he described the best shooting cartridge for what i want. Just have to find me that unicorn now

N2TRKYS

WKR
Sorry to get you excited about unicorn farts, I was just trying to put some pieces together. I guess that kind of sums of this 270 saum rabbit hole. Unicorn farts, honestly he described the best shooting cartridge for what i want. Just have to find me that unicorn now

If you want a good wildcat cartridge, look at getting a Sherman Shortmag in the caliber of your choice. The reports on them seem pretty good.

ckleeves

WKR

There is so much BS about rifle cartridges out there you really gotta wade thru it. Just look at some of the nonsense that gets passed around gun stores about the 6.5 Creed. If you listen to some of the guys at the box stores you would leave thinking it’s good for elephants to 2k yards.

If you want a short fast .270 then look at the WSM. Not as readily available as the 300wm in factory offerings but still options. Same with the 7saum. If you want a short action like the 300wm then the 300 WSM has good ammo options in a short action. It doesn’t shoot the heavies as well as the WM IME but still a great cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The WSM is about the same thing, maybe 60 fps faster than a SAUM would be, and it isn't a wildcat. Personally I'd prefer a 7 or a 6.5 in a SAUM or PRC but if you want to shoot 130-150 grain bullets with lower BCs, the 270 is your jam.

R H Clark

FNG
Appreciate the first hand experience. I love to shoot and know more than your average guys but I am no expert.

My 308 has served me great, 308 savage hog hunter with varmit barrel but I would like a lighter flatter shooting rifle for the mountains.

Ideally I would like a relatively lightweight rifle that shoots a high bc bullet fast enough to consistently expand a non lead bullet at 400 yards.

Everything was pointing me towards the 300 win mag until I ran into that guy and he was telling me that longer cartridges will never burn as consistent as smaller fatter cartridges. Hence the inherent accuracy of a 308 over 30 06 argument.
I want the energy but damn I want to be as accurate as possible Nothing feels better than hitting exactly where you are aiming

If 400 or even 500 yards is going to be your limit,and you want a light weight rifle for mountain hunting, I would not buy a magnum anything.
All a mag will accomplish at those ranges is to give you a heavier rifle, harder to feed, with more recoil and muzzle blast than necessary.

For your requirements, I would buy a Barrett Fieldcraft in either 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Either will kill deer ,Elk or Moose, at 500 yards, and be 6 lbs scoped,and have a long enough mag box to experiment with any bullet you want.

What the guy told you about the 270 wsm may all be true from his perspective, but don't get caught up in that short cartridge powder burn as anything that even matters. IMHO there's nothing special about the 270 wsm except that it should have been a 6.5 and the only reason it isn't is because of romanticized notions that come from us remembering how great the 270 was spoken about by writers of old.

Why in the world would you handicap yourself with a 300 win in a light rifle that will loosen your fillings when you don't need that much HP to shoot the 400 yards you mention? I would only buy a 300 win if I wanted to take game over 700 yards and then it would be a 9-10 lb rifle. The exception being dangerous game.

Even if you really want a 270,I would get the Fieldcraft in 270 long action. The long actions don't have the extra mag length though like the short actions. If you got to have heavier bullets than 6.5 or 7mm,get the 308 Fieldcraft. There is not a lighter more accurate production rifle made anywhere. It's about 95% of a $4000 NULA except for caliber choices and stock LOP.

hodgeman

WKR
*all while being capable of proper bullets performance at intermediate distances 300-450 yards or so while not blowing animals apart at 100. I know I'm asking pretty much for the one rifle for all scenarios.

You're describing the function of a bullet, not the function of a cartridge. I've used my .300 with 180ABs nearly exclusively for a decade. I've shot game as large as moose and as small as a deer from 40 yards to 450 yards and I've never blown anything apart. I did shoot a wolf at 20 feet that didn't fare so well but I was more concerned with my hide than his at that moment.

There are lots of cartridges that would meet your requirements out there...more that will than won't actually. You're certainly don't need to overthink the cartridge. BC is pretty much a moot point until 600 and good shooting is more a factor of quality of ammunition, optics, and the nut behind the trigger than anything to do with cartridge design.

My best advice is to buy something with good availability and reasonably priced ammunition that you can shoot...a lot.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for all the responses, I've honestly learned a whole lot from this.

The reason for wanted the magnum at distances 400-500 is because I want to have the speed to expand non lead rounds if that's the path I decide to go down.

Right now I wouldn't hesitate to use my 308 to shoot out to 400 with 150grn core .lokts for deer or smaller but I would not want to shoot much past 200 with non lead

hodgeman

WKR
Thank you guys for all the responses, I've honestly learned a whole lot from this.

The reason for wanted the magnum at distances 400-500 is because I want to have the speed to expand non lead rounds if that's the path I decide to go down.

Right now I wouldn't hesitate to use my 308 to shoot out to 400 with 150grn core .lokts for deer or smaller but I would not want to shoot much past 200 with non lead

That's a good call. Monometal bullets tend to do their best at higher impact speeds. You can also back down the weight scale to squeeze more speed out of them without real penalty in something like deer. In the 308, the 130gr TTSX would still be traveling 2100ish at 400 and should expand. Barnes rates them down to 1800, but that's a little optimistic.

R H Clark

FNG
I would be trying my best not to shoot mono's at 500 yards. You are loosing out on BC and many better bullets that buck wind better and don't loose speed as fast as mono bullets. Is non lead a requirement?

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Non lead is not the end all for me but in would like to be able to use non lead just as efficiently if I want to.

I'm sure the bullet mfrs are studied on they're metals but coming from the HVAC world I know just how soft copper can be vs hard plumbing copper no not as soft as lead bit I'm sure it could he tweaked . I find it wild these bullets need so much speed to expand consistently. I think with the right r&d non lead or mono metal bullets have a lot of potential

R H Clark

FNG
Non lead is not the end all for me but in would like to be able to use non lead just as efficiently if I want to.

I'm sure the bullet mfrs are studied on they're metals but coming from the HVAC world I know just how soft copper can be vs hard plumbing copper no not as soft as lead bit I'm sure it could he tweaked . I find it wild these bullets need so much speed to expand consistently. I think with the right r&d non lead or mono metal bullets have a lot of potential

I don't know what could be in non lead bullets, and there are likely some bullets softer than others, but right now, I think the good long range hunting bullets aren't mono's.

I wouldn't tolerate a heavier gun and more recoil just to shoot a bullet that won't do as well as a smaller caliber better designed bullet. I could shoot the smaller caliber better and have an easier carrying gun, especially if 500 yards is the max.

I don't think it is a matter of only using one kind of bullet. Why not just match the bullet to the game and style of hunting? There are bullets designed for all types of shooting.

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
OP, you don’t need an exotic caliber to shoot copper. If you want a new rifle, a regular old 270win (or even a 25-06) will be faster alternatives than your 308 for game in the deer/pig/antelope class. 400 yards shouldn’t be a problem for either of those rounds in terms of bullet performance. Barnes wouldn’t be in business if there bullets stopped working past 200 yards.

You said you want to shoot out to 400-500 yards so it sorta reads like you aren’t shooting that far yet. Not a knock on you at all....I don’t shoot that far either and don’t really have a desire to. But just realize it’s range time, range time, and range time, in that order, to become a good shot and no bullet can make up for that.