Kimber roulette...a different kind

Took my kimber Hunter 6.5 creed to the ranch this weekend. Was planning on leaving it for a ranch gun and for my dad to shoot pigs off the front porch. As customary I wanted to make sure the gun was still on from the last time I shot it...

The gun is basically brand new. I have literally fired one box through it.

Today my shot didn’t even hit paper. This at 100 yards prone off the porch. Shaking my head (oh and with the family watching) I decide I need to shoot again and then I notice this little piece of metal on my shooting rest (couch pillow)

Thank god I wasn’t on a sheep hunt or on some remote destination...never have seen this before.

Yup....kimber bases... whole damn windage screw just fell apart...

Going to be an interesting call on Monday!

2267b7d86405b2aa314596081c54c8a0.jpg

e8d4953c804f42e7dc057ed266fbe5b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Leupold base work loose as well... Not come all the way off... but enough to move POI around a foot or so - one piece bases now for me.

FURMAN

WKR
I can’t figure out why those are still so popular. The will not hold zero if barely bumped. Others should learn from this post and look elsewhere for mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got some Leupold bases that are like that. Been rock solid bases for me since the mid 90s.

Hate that you had a failure with your Kimber's.

WJS23

WKR
That base failing has nothing do with kimber so I don’t under stand how it would be on them?

hodgeman

WKR
I totally hate that type of mount and likely "86" a t least a set per year. The system was first made by Redfield and copied by a whole bunch of folks. I would guess that those are "Kimber" mounts they sourced from Leupold.

You should be able to fit it with some Talley's LWs, Warne Maximas or even the Leupold Dual Dovetail style. All of which are miles and miles better by far.

You're still not getting it. It don't matter what brand of windage adjustable bases they are, Redfield Leupold or Kimber. They are ALL royal POS's. It is on YOU for even using them. Kimber has no fault. The fault is in the weak, crappy design. If you want stronger, use DD's or Talleys/Warnes or ANY freaking thing that ain't WA.......

Yep! Windage adjustable bases are plain POS! Dual dovetail is much better if you like that look. Personally I'd just slap a set of Talley lightweight 1pc base/ring on there and be done.

VernAK

WKR
Adjust the windage screw and just hope the front ring has turned the same amount.....often doesn't.
I can't find anything good about the design.

WJS23

WKR
I was just pointing out that if you did a little bit of research you would have seen that kimber doesn’t make rings and bases they sell rings and bases that are made by Leupold and Talley. So before you start bashing a company on the internet for making a product that failed on you just do a little bit of home work.

WJS23

WKR
Last time I checked vortex name is on there optics kimbers name is not on the rings. Those leupold rings would have the same issue if they are cut for savage, Remington, tikka or Winchester.

Muttly

WKR
FWIW.....and this is probably stretching the "better lucky than good" approach well past it,s limit..
DNZ one piece mount, think it is the Game Reaper..put em on a fresh outa the box 7 Mag T3x stainless...applied a gently used 3-9x42 super chicken..leveled, torqued..
Took the total barbarian approach just to see what it would do, no break in, no bore sight, out to the range, put up a BIG target at 25 yards to see how far off I was..took a shot to see how far off I was...3 clicks from the center, straight on the horizontal..
Little adjustment, after that, anytime I take it out, thing seems to just chew around the center of the target.
Study group of one, but I was kinda impressed with the mounts..will use em again.

carter33

WKR
I was just pointing out that if you did a little bit of research you would have seen that kimber doesn’t make rings and bases they sell rings and bases that are made by Leupold and Talley. So before you start bashing a company on the internet for making a product that failed on you just do a little bit of home work.

You have a solid point but I also think if a company sources a product from another manufacturer and is willing to put thier title on the product then to some degree they are staking thier reputation on the product and should also be obliged to correct the situation should it fail.