Muzzle protection to protect against debris with brake

mcseal2

WKR
I was wondering what people put over the muzzle to prevent anything from getting into the barrel with a brake?

I've always just used electrical tape on my rifle without a brake but didn't know if a balloon or something worked better with a brake. I'm headed to AK in September and will be moose hunting in a swamp with a 300 win mag that has a brake.

Thanks for the help.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Only done this once, but I put electrical tape on my wife's rifle this winter. It worked the same just uses a lot more tape!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Tape should work fine. Heard of people using balloons and finger condoms as well. Doesn't really matter. Whatever is on there will be blown off well before the bullet gets there.

Maybe a dumb question (and sorry for hijacking!), but can you shoot with it on, or do you remove whatever you have over the muzzle before you shoot?

colonel00

WKR
Shoot with it on. The pressure in the barrel will blow off the tape or whatever just fine.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone. I couldn't think of any reason the electrical tape wouldn't still work with a brake, but I didn't want to find out I was wrong by screwing up the most expensive rifle I own. I have a 264 win mag I love for lower elevation game but it is a 10.5lb rifle ready to hunt. It is not terrible to pack and easy to shoot well but not ideal for everything. I had a custom 300 win mag built just like I wanted it for mountain hunting for elk, muleys, and for Alaska and I'd hate to screw it up. I didn't spare much expense on this one, it's not beautiful but functional like I wanted. I damn sure don't want to buy another one I just want to buy tags from here on out!

Evergreen

WKR
Go to the muzzlloader section of a sportsmans warehouse and pick up the barrel condoms that they sell for muzzys. I think TC is the brand.

Birchwood Casey makes "Barrel cots". I used them for a couple of years, but found them really lightweight, and they kept splitting when walking through brush. I now use several strips of electrical tape. One covers the muzzle from 6 oclock to 12 oclock position. One covers 3 oclock to 9 oclock, and the last piece goes around the end of the barrel securing the ends of the other two pieces of tape. I have a muzzle brake, and it is easy to cover it with the tape.

JP100

WKR
Tape thats all ya need.

I always tape my guns up as the first thing I do on every hunt. Brake,suppressor or just standard muzzle they all get the same treatment.
Blows off before the bullet gets there.

Easy to fall over and plug the barrel or get rain/snow in it

yup. taped my .300 win in Kodiak this past October. never had shot with it on a break before so I was a little nervous like you but the blast sent tape into oblivion and 410 yards later was a dead Sitka. Also, wrap a good amount on your barrel for extra in case you need it.