300 Weatherby help

wgood

FNG
Hey all,
So i've finally gotten around to loading up for my Remington 700 .300 Weatherby mag. I tried working up a load with IMR 4831 and Nosler Accubond 180's. So far, I have not gotten anything to shoot under 2.5". The stock had the original Remingotn pressure pad on the forend and was in poor shape in the barrel channel. I sanded down the channel and insured a free floating barrel in hopes this would bring the group size down. It did not at all, still consistent 2.5" groups at 100 yards. Does anyone have any information to help? Twist rate is 1:12" so i'm going to try some 150 and 165 accubonds/partitions in it and see if that helps at all. I was hoping if I spent this entir weekend working on it I could get it to shooting, and now i'm down to one day before I leave for 14 days and by that time it's nearly archery season. So if someone has any suggestions I am all ears! Thanks!!

OP
W

wgood

FNG
That's what everyone has told me. Might give that a try as well, just wondering if maybe the accubonds aren't being stabilized? I'd prefer to stick with 4831 if I can help it, but am not against RL-22 by any means

With accuracy that poor (I'm assuming you shot at 100 yards), the culprit is likely more serious than a powder switch will cure. Have you bedded the stock, cleaned the barrel, verified torque on the action screws and torqued every screw in the scope mounting system? Once all that is done, you could go back to load development. The optimal charge weight technique or a ladder test might help you narrow down a good starting point, but in my experience nothing in load development goes quickly when you're using a factory rifle.

You should be able to stabilize 180 accubonds fine with a 12 twist and any reasonable 300 weatherby velocity.

I agree that it sounds like something is wrong. Bedding/action screw torque, scope holding zero, scope mount, shooter error, etc.

I'll admit there have been times with lightweight magnums where the problem was me flinching or failing on follow through and recoil management.

OP
W

wgood

FNG
With accuracy that poor (I'm assuming you shot at 100 yards), the culprit is likely more serious than a powder switch will cure. Have you bedded the stock, cleaned the barrel, verified torque on the action screws and torqued every screw in the scope mounting system? Once all that is done, you could go back to load development. The optimal charge weight technique or a ladder test might help you narrow down a good starting point, but in my experience nothing in load development goes quickly when you're using a factory rifle.

Yeah it was at 100 yards, and I have not bedded the stock yet, I was just hoping I could get it too shoot half ass decent before doing that. And everything is torqued to specs, I just am not going to have time to get this rifle bedded before huntin season unfortunately. I have many other rifles I could use, but this one is new (to me) and was hoping I could get it shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wgood

FNG
Is this a new Model 700 or an older one? It seems I’ve heard more issues about bad barrels from them in the last couple years.

I believe it's from the late 80's/ early 90's from what I could tell on the serial number

OP
W

wgood

FNG
Have you tried Weatherby Factory loads? I know they are expensive, but it might be worth a try.

I have not yet, I picked up some hornadys for brass and just to shoot it while I got the dies and everything ordered, but maybe I'll try the weatherby ammo and see if it improves even slightly

OP
W

wgood

FNG
You should be able to stabilize 180 accubonds fine with a 12 twist and any reasonable 300 weatherby velocity.

I agree that it sounds like something is wrong. Bedding/action screw torque, scope holding zero, scope mount, shooter error, etc.

I'll admit there have been times with lightweight magnums where the problem was me flinching or failing on follow through and recoil management.

Agreed, I definitely struggle with the same. The lower velocity loss weren't bad at all, and when I could tell I was starting to shake and beginning to flinch I would stop for the day. But I also tested some out with the use of a lead sled and had another person (who does shoot very well) test it and we couldn't get anything to group. And I know most manufacturers make weatherbys in a 1:10 twist, but I agree, I don't know why it won't shoot them. It could be something else.

Jardo

WKR
I have a mark v 300 wby. Don't shoot it much anymore. Weatherby factory rifles have a lot of free bore so mine is not too sensitive to seating depth. Might try messing around with your jump. Most of my rifles like less than .020 jump. Rl22 or rl26 is a good option. Some rifles are sensitive to powders. If all of this fails, you may want to scope the bore and make sure your throat is not shot out. 300 wby mag is as hot as it gets and one can easily have shot out the barrel or throat if the gun is 30'years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danny1788

FNG
IMR7828 is my go to powder for a 300wby....... I have loads for 168-200gr with IMR7828 and this also worked well in a friends 300wby. I load to max magazine length and fine tune with powder charge.

If its still spraying 2.5" groups something is wrong. IMR4831 would not be my first choice of powders for a 300wby. IMR7828 or RL22

OP
W

wgood

FNG
IMR7828 is my go to powder for a 300wby....... I have loads for 168-200gr with IMR7828 and this also worked well in a friends 300wby. I load to max magazine length and fine tune with powder charge.

If its still spraying 2.5" groups something is wrong. IMR4831 would not be my first choice of powders for a 300wby. IMR7828 or RL22

Yeah I think I'm gonna give those a try when I get back home in a couple days. Ordered some 210 Accubonds and some 165 Accubonds that should be at my door. Hopefully this weekend I can solve the problem and will update everyone on what I find. Thank you

Hey all,
So i've finally gotten around to loading up for my Remington 700 .300 Weatherby mag. I tried working up a load with IMR 4831 and Nosler Accubond 180's. So far, I have not gotten anything to shoot under 2.5". The stock had the original Remingotn pressure pad on the forend and was in poor shape in the barrel channel. I sanded down the channel and insured a free floating barrel in hopes this would bring the group size down. It did not at all, still consistent 2.5" groups at 100 yards. Does anyone have any information to help? Twist rate is 1:12" so i'm going to try some 150 and 165 accubonds/partitions in it and see if that helps at all. I was hoping if I spent this entir weekend working on it I could get it to shooting, and now i'm down to one day before I leave for 14 days and by that time it's nearly archery season. So if someone has any suggestions I am all ears! Thanks!!

I shot a 300WBY for years and had similar issues. Once I found THE load I never changed -

Nosler 180 Accubonds, Nosler reloading manual most accurate (MAX) book load for IMR7828, magnum primers. And seat them deep! My weatherby is free bore so I can seat long but I had better accuracy seating them deep. I can't recall my seating depth offhand but I'd recommend keep going a little shorter and see what it does for you.

I did also shoot this load with Hornady Interbonds with similar performance. I have an actual Weatherby (Mark V wood stock), and my gunsmith said it needed the pressure point rather than a free floating barrel, I can't say if if you should remove them or not on a REM.

Also, there's a lot of recoil with that gun so I had to be honest with myself call my bad shots.

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I shot a 300WBY for years and had similar issues. Once I found THE load I never changed -

Nosler 180 Accubonds, Nosler reloading manual most accurate (MAX) book load for IMR7828, magnum primers. And seat them deep! My weatherby is free bore so I can seat long but I had better accuracy seating them deep. I can't recall my seating depth offhand but I'd recommend keep going a little shorter and see what it does for you.

I did also shoot this load with Hornady Interbonds with similar performance. I have an actual Weatherby (Mark V wood stock), and my gunsmith said it needed the pressure point rather than a free floating barrel, I can't say if if you should remove them or not on a REM.

Also, there's a lot of recoil with that gun so I had to be honest with myself call my bad shots.

Thanks! I'm gonna go out tomorrow and see if the store nearby has 7828 and RL-22 and give them a shot, as well as some 165g bullets try test out. Hopefully something will work!

PaLuke

FNG
I have a Accumark that loves 165 gr. SST’s with H4831SC. Not a hot load by any stretch but accurate. Good load for deer and antelope. I don’t think I’d use this bullet for elk though. Accubonds would always hover around 1.5” at 100. What I found out was action screw torque needed to be spot on for this rifle to shoot. Good luck hunting.

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I have a Accumark that loves 165 gr. SST’s with H4831SC. Not a hot load by any stretch but accurate. Good load for deer and antelope. I don’t think I’d use this bullet for elk though. Accubonds would always hover around 1.5” at 100. What I found out was action screw torque needed to be spot on for this rifle to shoot. Good luck hunting.

Yeah and I have it torqued down to specs as well. Used to shoot the SST's out of my 300 wsm but had some pretty dramatic explosions when shooting elk, so switched up. I like the accubonds since they're not too expensive and they hold together relatively well. Have some hornady 165 interbonds I just found in my garage this mornin, so gonna give them a try and see if they group worth a damn, and if they do I'll order some accubonds and partitions

mines a 1-10 twist, but it likes 190 ABLR in front of h1000..seated as long as fits in the box.
edit: glad to see im not the only one shootin a 300 wby still. :cool:

My wife has a 300 Bee and it likes Sierra Match Kings with H1000 and federal 215's. We tried Nosler and Berger's in it and it wouldn't group for shit no matter what we tried. And as said above we seat them as long as we can to keep it under 1" group. Changing out the trigger did wonders for her gun as well