SA all Deer/ elk gun

I have been reading a lot just trying to process some information for Hunt I plan on next year. Got a quick question, I am sure it has been discussed a time or 2 but here it is anyway. Who is caring a SA rifle and what caliber are you using to hunt mule deer and elk. I could see many calibers being plenty goo enough for deer but the elk is my big question.

Last edited:
OP
C
Well my buddy just looked at me and said dumb A@#. You have your short mags. I completely forgot about them. I was looking more at the 308, 7mm-08, and I m sure a couple others that will get the job done.

If leaning toward what you listed, 7mm -08 loaded hot with a 140 - 160 gr bullet.

My preference is a .270 or 7mm WSM.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got two that I want to kill an elk/mule deer with. Both are Remington Model Seven SS. One is a 7-08 and one is a 7 SAUM.

LightFoot

WKR
With premium bullets...
308 for the ability to go heavy and ammo availability
6.5 for efficiency and low recoil
7mm-08 for the middle of the two

Can't go wrong with any of these.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Do you reload? If you reload I'd suggest the 7 SAUM. If you do not, I'd suggest the 7WSM. Both can be put on short actions, and both can almost reach 7mm Rem Mag speeds, with 180 grain bullets. Both have significantly less recoil too, as both hold less powder than the 7mm Rem Mag. They are very efficient designs. Both are super accurate too, and have bullets with good ballistic coefficients. They will outperform the 6.5 creedmore, 308, 7mm08, and 260 rem. I own a 7 SAUM, and the accuracy of that rifle is stupid. It feels like you're shooting a 243 too. Awesome all around rifle.

ChrisA

WKR
My Model Seven 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) is a hammer on deer, haven't gotten a chance at elk yet. It's not a purpose built elk rifle and I'd feel a little better with a 7 SAUM if I was after elk more.

Recoil with the 6.5 isn't bad but certainly sharp pushing 140s at 3050fps; rifle is a 7 1/4lb package.