Scope mount, Problem?

Putting a new scope on a Bergara, and I have Talley rings lows and meds. The scope fit the rifle well in the lows. Got it all screwed down and went to bore sight it... and wouldn't you know it, I ran out of elevation. The rifle came with a small shim so I tried that to no avail. So after so a beer or two, thought why not use the med ring in the back and keep the front a low. And it worked, meaning its a snug fit no movement, it looks a little odd but works. Haven't shot it yet. Is this not a good idea? It should be fine, right? Might be slightly unpleasing to the eye but should be totally functional, right? Or is this a recipe for disaster?

Wapiti1

WKR
You are going to dent the hell out of the scope tube.

The scope is now at an angle, but the rings surfaces are parallel to the action. When you snug the ring caps the rings are going to try to straighten out that angled scope and the scope will lose that battle. Best case, you have dents. Worst case, you lock up the erector tube.

You didn't by chance mix up the med and low rings before you started?

Jeremy

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t do it, put the mediums on both. Damage and it will directly affect your travel and potentially cause eye relief problems.

OP
N
Damn it! I knew that was going to be the case. Thanks for the quick responses fellas. What do you all suggest to get the scope to sit in a place where I will be able to get it set within the scope dial limits.

gelton

WKR
Or do away with the talley rings and get a 20 moa base, not a fan of Talley as I have had them crack on me...

Wapiti1

WKR
Weaver style bases and Burris signature rings with the offset insert set. You can tailor the elevation you need with the inserts. It is a very good system.

It is possible to shim the bases, but you should lap the rings to get them aligned with the plane of the scope. Shimming is OK, but it is limited to small adjustments in my opinion.

As gelton mentioned, a one piece rail may be a good option. If you go that route, look up bedding a scope rail on Youtube and do that if you have gaps between the rail and action.

Jeremy

Jet-Tac

FNG
Running out of elevation at bore sight is crazy, ditch the talleys and get a 20 moa base. Would also second howl on what did Bergara say.

What brand scope is it? Use the mediums, or as others have suggested a 20 moa base. Don't mix the low and medium rings together, it will damage the scope tube.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weaver style bases and Burris signature rings with the offset insert set. You can tailor the elevation you need with the inserts. It is a very good system.

It is possible to shim the bases, but you should lap the rings to get them aligned with the plane of the scope. Shimming is OK, but it is limited to small adjustments in my opinion.

As gelton mentioned, a one piece rail may be a good option. If you go that route, look up bedding a scope rail on Youtube and do that if you have gaps between the rail and action.

Jeremy

ditto on the above. The signature rings with the inserts will solve your issues.

Randy