130 Scirrocco in 6.5

270quest

WKR
I am one of those guys that likes to tinker and even though I have a proven, dialed in 139 scenar load at 2840 FPS in my 24" CTR, I have been really intrigued with the scirrocco. Similar bc to the scenar - should be able to safely launch it a 2900+ FPS, and its a bonded hunting bullet. Anyone have anything good or bad to report on this bullet?

I have read it can be a bit finicky, however I have yet to put a round through this CTR that didn't shoot good, so I am not to worried about getting it to shoot. Going to be playing with H4350 as I have 8 pounds if it.

If the 130 scirrocco is as tough as it claims, with its BC, and being able to launch at 2900+, it should make for one heck of an all around Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope load in my 6.5.

I bought some of the new Swift High Grade ammunition for my .260 last year for a mule deer hunt. I had seen what a Scirocco in .308 did to some whitetail deer over the years and it was always very impressive. I normally handload for .260 but was short on time last year while working up the ELD-X. The Swift High Grade ammunition is superb factory ammo. It averaged 2720 fps out of my 24" barrel and competed with my handloads in precision with typically 1/2-3/4 moa 5-shot groups. So impressive that I put off working on the ELD-X loads.

When checking dope I was disappointed to see that the published .571 G1 is inflated. I had to adjust down to .491 to match my real world shooting. Frustrated, I searched for reviews of the 130 6.5 Scirocco and sure enough Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics had tested the bullet .490.

So while I think this is a slick effective hunting bullet. Keep in mind, the published BC is inflated.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
They were hard to tune for me in a super accurate 260. I shoot 130 Berger's 130 thou off the lands, so for the hell of it seated the Scirroco to the same setting as the Berger and it shot about 1.5" at 300 yards. They appear to like jump.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don’t have any experience with this particular bullet but I would like to throw in a plug for the Swift Bullet Co customer service. I recently emailed the company asking about load data for their 300 gr 45 cal handgun bullet. A few days later, I got a call from Bill Hober, the CEO. He talked to me for about 10 minutes. I got my load data along with a lot of other good info on loading quirks, minimum expansion velocity, etc.

parshal

WKR
I used the 130 to take a mule deer a couple years ago at 300 yards with my 264 win mag. It dropped so fast I thought it'd run off with the rest of the group. It was DRT.

I'm just now working up a load in my 6.5 SS with them. I had been using 140 Berger EH and 143 ELD-X but just never got them to shoot the way I wanted. The first couple loads with the 130's were fantastic but I'm still not where I want to be. I'll be playing with seating depth more this weekend. They're already .060" off the lands and look tiny crammed so far in that case. They do like to jump for sure. Bill, the CEO, spoke with me the other day just like bakpakr said they do. He said start at .060" and find something that looks promising and play with depth from there.